Author Topic: PSP vs DS  (Read 45250 times)

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: PSP vs DS
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2004, 02:18:01 PM »
dr. Z is on a power trip.

and now that i've made  a pointless post, I imagine that I'm next.

I'll shut up now...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2004, 06:05:41 PM »
PSP vs DS could come down to GTA vs Pokemon. If PSP gets a GTA game, its GUARANTEED to be a huge success, 3D GTA on a portable has been a fantasy of many people for so long, PSP could make it a reality, Rockstar have also recently announced they have PSP projects in development. Nintendo should be very afraid of a possible GTA PSP. Of course if Microsoft are willing to help them out Halo on DS could counter that.

I'm also very interested in seeing how Metroid Prime Hunters takes off, i've heard people who've played it calling it Nintendos next "goldeneye". TEH WAR IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!11

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
RE:PSP vs DS
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2004, 04:02:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
PSP vs DS could come down to GTA vs Pokemon. If PSP gets a GTA game, its GUARANTEED to be a huge success, 3D GTA on a portable has been a fantasy of many people for so long, PSP could make it a reality, Rockstar have also recently announced they have PSP projects in development. Nintendo should be very afraid of a possible GTA PSP. Of course if Microsoft are willing to help them out Halo on DS could counter that.

I'm also very interested in seeing how Metroid Prime Hunters takes off, i've heard people who've played it calling it Nintendos next "goldeneye". TEH WAR IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!11

if PSP gets GTA, then its not a good deal, why?  GTA requires constant disk spinning and constant loading.  AKA: less than 3 hours of battery life before its shot.  

However, and this still holds true, Pokemon is the single best selling game series, EVER.  Thats the type of jump start the DS will need.  Lower the DS cost, get a pokemon on it, and it'll sell more than enough to get nintendo covered.  

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2004, 11:21:17 AM »
The PSP is set up to fail.  Its main draw is great graphics.  Any game that doesn't push the graphics won't sell and the ones that do will kill the battery.  GTA would be the IT game psp needs but as has been stated would kill the battery.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2004, 11:44:36 AM »
Orge:  The question is will people really care about battery power this time around?  How many people actually play their portable system longer than an hour at a time?  With the quick recharge batteries I can play my portable system for an 2 hours or so, charge it back up while I am not playing and then continue on.

Really Car trips are the only time you won't be able to recharge...and even then an adapter will be made.

Perhaps the PSP isn't setup to fail.  Perhaps we are all loyalists and are analysing everything as a big deal and it isn't.

Nintendo DS is still going to rule, but I think its because it actually is innovative.  Developers will come to the system because they want to try something else.  If their products succeed they will come back for more.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2004, 12:34:50 PM »
"Really Car trips are the only time you won't be able to recharge...and even then an adapter will be made."

Therefore taking away gametime in environments people most use handhelds... =P
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2004, 01:48:02 PM »
I guess you guys don't Go Greyhound. Good battery time is useful for some people.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2004, 02:55:35 PM »

what about multiplayer, then?

One of the DS' major draws is it's multiplayer functions.

Will PSP be able to do the same with such a weak battery?

And how many people will religiously charge their handhelds? You watch a single movie and it's shot. You play on a single car ride and its shot. That's gotta suck.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2004, 06:15:07 PM »
I ride the bus every day almost 11 hours a week.  a good battery is a must.  If the DS last as long as nintendo says it will then That'll be great.  If the PSP last as long as sony says it will (which it won't, unless sony stopped spreading falsehoods this year) then its still not good enough.  I still won't be sold on PSP until I learn a final game price.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2004, 09:42:56 PM »
Kutaragi admitted that their first predictions were a bit too optimistic but didn't name any new values.

People always say things like "I don't play that long, anyway". The thing is, you just don't notice how long you play it. Having no headroom is going to be a big annoyance. Play it for an hour a day regularly, you have maybe another hour left. Now imagine some irregularity joining you, let's say your train gets delayed or your friend wants to see that new movie you bought after work. Suddently you go over the time and the thing dies. Or those twelve hour plane trips that people often use their GBAs to go through. You may think you only play it an hour or two at max but you'll quickly realize it can become much more.
Or imagine forgetting the daily recharge...

BTW, it isn't healthy for Li-Ion batteries to be recharged that often, their maximum charge slowly deteriorates after the first 500-700 charges (any charge that leaves the battery with more than 15% charge is counted towards this maximum), sometimes even less (depending on the quality of the battery). If you leave the PSP in a corner after it was discharged, the battery falls apart even faster (Li-Ion batteries discharge slowly, once all charge is used up the maximum capacity suffers. Decay is also increased while over 70% charge). Buying replacements now is pointless since the things would have fallen apart before you need them.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2004, 04:11:53 AM »
OH I understand forgetting to do the recharge or what not.  I also understand that the PSP will be getting like 3-4 hours game play max when used for actual gaming.

I am just saying I know I have never played my Gameboy Advance for more than 4 hours a day.  Which means as long as a remember to recharge I am ok.  

There is some questions about the battery charge with the PSP though.  As the battery begins to die will load times take longer as the disk starts to spin slower?  Or will the PSP tell you the charge is too low once the disks can't spin at optimal speed?  

There is still alot of questions Sony isn't answering.  My original post wasn't created to diss the DS.  But to bring up the point to many battery power won't be an issue.  Its also not like that information is going to be readily available to research in find before you buy a portable system.  

Sony won't advertise its true battery power, and Nintendo isn't going to make ads comparing the systems, because Sony can turn around and do the same hurting Nintendo.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2004, 07:33:53 AM »
I'd guess it will behave like any other device, shut off once the power falls below a certain level.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2004, 03:42:50 AM »
Why is the PsP already on Tv more than the Ds? Watching Monday Night Football I saw that Coca-Cola has teamed up with Sony to giveaway Ps2's and PsP's. Of course Sony can market their asses off but 4months before launch and they're already plastering the PsP all over the boob tube. Indeed Sony is gunning for the throne. So who do you think Nintendo will team up with to promote the Ds. Pepsi is too easy of a choice but likely none the less.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2004, 08:05:30 AM »
Ngage was all over the media, too.

« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2004, 10:05:05 AM »
I really like the nintendo ds a lot better then the psp i think that it will fall.  Your not geting anything diffrent then the ps2, such as the games there mostly going to be the same as ps2 =.= weres the fun in that???? and now whit this dvd that u can play on it i really dont think that will work, please tell me Y any 1 would just buy dvds just 4 the psp thats so dump i really dont think thats going to work. Now with the ds i think its worth the $$ and its touch screan and 2 screans r diffrent and u would have a diffrent playing expernce than any consel and hand held sistem with is what i am really looksing for. Ok now i know the grafcs r almost as good as ps2 and ds is only as good as 64 or just a bet better but i say if u r a real gamer its not all about the looks its game play. I just feel that ur going to get a lot more with the ds with the 2 screns the talking with other ppl that have it being able to play the same game with other ppl and everything 4 me its ds all the way!!!
"Don't pi$* in my ear and tell me its rain"

DS is 10 times better then PSP!!

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2004, 12:20:26 PM »
There are a lot of fun PS2 games. The PSP doesn't play DVDs.  Saying that the PSP will only have PS2 games is just ignorant.  Its like saying that every DS game is a 64 port, which is more acurate that PSP having PS2 ports.  No one is going to buy DVDs for PSP they'll be buying UMD copies of movies and for the same reason people buy those GBA videos.  150 is a lot of money, and for a gimmick.  The second screen could be seen as nothing more than a gimmick, and a poorly used one at that.  All it has is maps.   Some different experiance we're getting with mario 64, rayman, ridge racer, asphalt GT, madden and tiger woods.  The graphics on PSP have the ability to be better than PS2's.  I'm willing to bet that they could push ninja gaiden type graphics if they tried.  Have you not seen the GT4 and Ridge Racer footage.  The gameplay on Lumines looks to be pretty special, and Darkstalkers is nothing but great gameplay.  Some would say that for about 50 bucks more you get a better deal with the PSP cause it has a lot more horse power and all its games won't be kiddy.  Don't forget that the PSP has wifi as well, and darkstalkers, GT4, and ridge racer are taking full advantage of it, that's more that worth the system's purchase.  STOP BEING SO FRICKIN' STUPID WITH YOUR NON-FACTS.  I'm getting a DS before PSP , but listening to people make these dumb comments hurts.  Why does no one get upset at this, but if someone says anything about the DS's weak points you are scalped and burned.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2004, 12:35:03 PM »
"Saying that the PSP will only have PS2 games is just ignorant"

I say it does in a more figurative sense...The reason I have a handheld is that the gameplay experiences are pretty much exclusive to it and it alone...The same will go with the DS...The PSP, however, cannot expand on what can already be done with the PS2, and is, therefore, completely pointless to me...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2004, 01:12:48 PM »
"The reason I have a handheld is that the gameplay experiences are pretty much exclusive to it and it alone...The same will go with the DS...The PSP, however, cannot expand on what can already be done with the PS2, and is, therefore, completely pointless to me... "

That's a perfectly good reason for not being interested in something but how do you explain the GBA?  Doesn't it ultimately provide the same experience as the SNES?  In fact it's so similar that it has a lot of the same titles.  I'm not bashing the GBA because I like it but that is kind of a double standard.  I guess you could use the arguement that the SNES isn't current but the PS2 is but still in terms of pure experience it's not really anything new.

I'm not interested in the PSP but that's because it's battery life is sh!t and I don't trust Sony to make a decent piece of hardware.  And I also generally don't like the types of games that are popular on Playstation consoles.  But saying it's all more of the same doesn't make any sense since the only DS launch title Nintendo is releasing is the very definition of "more of the same" and the GBA has one of the worst original-port ratios ever.  

Offline darklink514

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2004, 03:52:23 PM »
Once again many of us are giving in to the sensationalized media of the PSP. My rule of thumb is if Sony says their system is capable of something, or releases specs, I downgrade it by 10% because they're geniuses and propoganda. Make the people believe and they'll consume.

The issue that I believe should be at the forefront is definitely durability. In my opinion once you look past the graphics, design should really be the issue at the forefront. Aesthetically, I believe both companies did a very a good job at what they set out to accomplish. I've really heard both sides of the coin when it comes to design. Some like PSP, some like DS. Aesthetically, I think the PSP slightly edges the DS, but that's not my concern.
Look at the durability of both systems and compare. DS: Clamshell design equates to protection of the system's vitals, secure cartridge slots mean no loss of gameplay if dropped or shaken violently, when closed the thickness of the unit is increased making it a tougher system overall.
With the PSP, the whole system is exposed. The screen is bound to take heavy damage. I remember complaining about my GBA screen getting riddled with scratches, take that to another extreme with the PSP. The analog joystick has a huge risk of getting damaged and possibly malfunctioning if dropped, the lack of thickness and extreme lightweight could make for a fragile system, when dropped, the UMD might be damaged in the process.
I remember having CD players where if I'd drop it, the player would sometimes open and spit out my CD, causing irrepairable scratches.
Portables NEED to be durable because they are being taken everywhere you go, everywhere you need to play, whether it be an airport terminal, walking to the store, riding the bus...and in the past, Sony has a reputation of making their products rather fragile while Nintendo has a legacy of keeping consumers satisfied with durability. I've heard a lot of stories about GBAs and GBCs being left out in the rain, snow, put through the wash. You name it and they survived.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2004, 04:19:03 PM »

That's a perfectly good reason for not being interested in something but how do you explain the GBA? Doesn't it ultimately provide the same experience as the SNES? In fact it's so similar that it has a lot of the same titles. I'm not bashing the GBA because I like it but that is kind of a double standard. I guess you could use the arguement that the SNES isn't current but the PS2 is but still in terms of pure experience it's not really anything new.

They don't make SNES games anymore.  Most of the games that come out for the PSP are going to be outrageously similar to whatever the PS2 has, and those are still being made constantly.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2004, 10:47:10 AM »
With all this talk about games on portable systems being more of the same, thats true in a sence, but the reason I play portable games is becuase it is an escape.  Portable gaming is my only source for oldschool gaming and little in current generations can provide that for me.

The PSP is threatening to blend the portable and home markets together, blurrin the line between the 2.  I don't want 3D gaming to become the norm in handheld games.  I don't want 2D gaming to die as it did during the PSone and N64 era.  If the PSP were to succeed, I'm sure it'll be the first step in completely killing out oldschool gaming.  No more oldschool shooters, no more 2d sidescrollers (metriods, castlevania, mario, kirby), and no more old school rpgs.  All this becuase developers are going to assume (as they did during 3D gamings proper introduction with mario 64 ) that to keep up with the competition, they have to go 3D.

In my opinion, 3D graphics/gameplay should be perfected in the PC/console industry whereas 2D gaming should be perfected in the portable industry.  I'd love to see games like Vuitiful Joe become the norm in handhelds.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2004, 07:01:49 AM »
2d will live on forever, it's much easier for indies to do than 3d. Compare the graphical quality of 2d and 3d indy games, 3d indy games look like crap most of the time.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2004, 02:03:34 PM »
Indy? what

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2004, 02:06:09 PM »
Indy games are like Indy music...New devs that are just starting up and (sometimes) self-publish...

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2004, 07:41:15 AM »
those never sell.  you know that.  Only big name games from big name publishers sell.