Author Topic: SSX Blur Now in Stores  (Read 6294 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: SSX Blur Now in Stores
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 05:33:58 AM »
So is the big control flaw the fact that the tutorial motions for Ubertricks don't directly reflect the actual required motions for Ubertricks during gameplay?

If so, that is pretty retarded on EA's part.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 11:37:28 AM »
I just picked up the game tonight and I can see how reviewers could be frustrated by the game.  It really does take some dedication to get the controls down but once you do, I think it's a great game.  Thanks to the link that ShyGuy posted, I was able to pick up the Ubertricks without much hassle.  It's really about exaggerating the movements, small versions of the 'drawing' don't really work.  Also, and this I think happen to many people from the impressions I've read elsewhere, is that you HAVE to stop pushing forward on the stick to perform and Uber.  All in all, I'm actually glad I bought an EA game for the first time since Beetle Adventure Racing.  (Yea, that long ago)
Life is good

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 11:50:16 AM »
Should I give in or wait till Medal of Homer?

BAR was the last and only EA game I ever bought.

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 12:23:03 PM »
I think it depends on if you want to learn to play.  IGN's review is spot on that it's not Wii Sports Snowboarding, it's more of a 'real' game.  (Not that Wii Sports isn't a game, but SSX takes work)
Life is good

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »
Are you not "hardcore gamer" manly enough to play SSX Blur Pro?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:SSX Blur Now in Stores
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 07:12:51 PM »
I was awfully tempted to pick up SSX Blur today but I found a copy of Lunar Knights and got that instead along with a discounted, 13$ Odama that was brand new.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Griffin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »
I just spent a few hours on the game, and it's great. It is tough to get used to the controls, but you'll tear the place up once you get the hang of them. Also, there's a practice mode for all uber tricks that you unlock. All it does is have you hold down the A button and perform the motion, so you can see how it works. Once you try it a few times, you won't have much trouble hitting those ubers in game.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 03:33:49 AM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk You're not the audience for the game, so the score doesn't need to reflect your needs.

So because these controls are the "standard", it means that people who don't like them aren't the "audience" for the game?

First of all, that doesn't account for the fact that there were many console FPS games and a lot of them did the controls better than others.

Second, this means that anyone who complains about Wii controls can immediately be dismissed as not being the game's target "audience". If you're going to do it for the analogue stick, there's no logic which dictates that the same doesn't immediately apply to the Wiimote.

Third, the issue isn't the control so much as people's unwillingness to spend ample time with the control. Most people don't seem to grasp the concept of a learning curve and if they can't get it down pat immediately, they dismiss it and give it a poor review.

The same is true with Halo 2: you think aiming and shooting doesn't require some time to adjust to, even if you know the control scheme well enough and, more importantly, that an impatient reviewer wouldn't give the game a bad score just as easily if they didn't take the time to learn the controls?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 06:04:47 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I found a copy of ... a discounted, 13$ Odama that was brand new.
Where did you find this?  I've always wanted to play Odama, but I couldn't see spending $50 on it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 06:23:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
So is the big control flaw the fact that the tutorial motions for Ubertricks don't directly reflect the actual required motions for Ubertricks during gameplay?

IS THERE A DISCREPENCY OR NOT?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I found a copy of ... a discounted, 13$ Odama that was brand new.
Where did you find this?  I've always wanted to play Odama, but I couldn't see spending $50 on it.

It was at my local Fred Meyer (if you have any of those). I was looking at Ebay and I think I got it cheaper than what it usually sells on ebay when you include tax!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »

IS THERE A DISCREPENCY OR NOT?

From what I can tell, it's not that the gestures are wrong, you still make the general shape they show, it's how big and how smooth you make the motion.  The practice screen seems to accept a wider variety for the size of the gestures.  Plus, you don't have the 'excitement' rush that's going on in game to mess you up.  Practice, practice, practice.  That's my advise on it.   Also, EA probably should have tweaked it a bit, but it's not impossible.  
Life is good

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2007, 08:30:59 AM »
So, even new reviews mention that ubertricks are difficult.

Did EA simple FAIL to mention how they wanted motions to be input (big and smooth)?

Or is every 1-hour reviewer out there in too much of a rush when they play, not exercising patience and grace during air time?

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2007, 08:38:51 AM »
This game is great. Buy it.

As for the Uber tricks, there's a special training mode that lets you just practice the motions it takes to do them. If you put five minutes into that, such moves are not a problem.

At first, I was only marginally impressed, but once I started doing stuff I didn't even think was possible, I was sold beyond belief. I haven't even gotten to Peak 2 and I've already put almost 10 hours in. There is no drought because SSX Blur is there. So again. Buy it.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2007, 09:51:18 AM »
So in other words Ubertrick are liked that cursed star in Trauma Center:Second Opinion. (Which I have gotten to the 6th episode on normal with only using the healing touch 3 times. (Bomb, V... Last guy on Episode 5, and one of the episode 6 missions with the girl surgeon.)  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.