Author Topic: Fishing in Zelda SUCKS! (mandatory spoiler tag just incase)  (Read 10040 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Fishing in Zelda SUCKS! (mandatory spoiler tag just incase)
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 05:13:59 PM »
Pro's absolutely right. There was one Goron who told you that Darunia loved listening to that song coming out of the cave. When you went close to it you could hear Saria's Song IIRC.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 06:27:37 PM »
I don't remember him saying Darunia liked that song in particular.  I'm gonna have to check when I fly back up to Washington.  Just you wait.
GOREGASM!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 05:22:02 AM »
Honestly I could probably have figured out the Darunia thing easier if I played the game now.  When I first played Ocarina of Time I was just getting back into games after a long absence.  Prior to that I had mostly played action games and got interested the Zelda series was my first real take and games requiring logic.  OoT would have been my third Zelda game I think.  Anyway I used real world logic but wasn't familiar enough with the formulas of games like these to try out things that require game logic.

While I'm playing TP, when I face a boss I immediately have the item I got in the dungeon ready.  That's game logic.  They just gave me an item so I'm to use it here.  But when I was younger I didn't have that game logic.  I acted like I would in real life.  In real life it made NO SENSE AT ALL to return to the forest.  A little while ago I just had this goodbye with Saria that gave me the impression that I would never see her again.  It was like leaving on a long journey and then returning later that afternoon.

In game logic it makes tons of sense.  Navi suggests you go somewhere.  You go there and get a song.  You can't figure out how to make Darunia do anything so naturally playing the song you just learned makes sense.  Though I didn't notice the place to stand to play the song.  I think that was the first time to game required you to do that.  I didn't notice the ding sound because the Ocarina of still new to me.  I think I assumed that was standard stuff.  Afterall at that point you weren't playing songs to change the day, call the horse or teleport places yet.  Odds are the only time I had played any song at that point was to play a song for Zelda.

Regardless of me not noticing the music thing, returning to the forest you just supposedly left forever a few hours ago makes no f*cking sense outside of game logic.  That whole part felt horribly forced.

Offline Griffin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Fishing in Zelda SUCKS! (mandatory spoiler tag just incase)
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 06:05:49 AM »
Going back to the fish thing... when I caught the first fish (right next to the cat, on the small pier), the fish actually dropped on the ground, and the cat grabbed it and ran back into the house on its own... wierd. Or I'm just half asleep and not reading your experiences right.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
curses none of you have played shadowgate 64, who the fuck would have guess putting a rope down a small window meant that you had to then play the flute which would shrink you and then allow you to go through! Feck!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 06:18:17 AM »
It is a game, afterall.

Remember you had to use Din's Fire to enter the Shadow Temple?  If you never picked it up prior to visiting the room, you had NO CLUE such a spell existed.  You just saw the fireball imprint on the pedestal.

On top of that, there were no obvious clues that told you to a Great Fairy would give it to you, nor where that Great Fairy was located.  Forced?  More like TOUGH LUCK PAL, YOU DIDN'T BOMB ALL OF HYRULE LIKE WE EXPECT YOU TO BUT NEVER TOLD YOU TO.  I don't hear any complaints about that.

But you would've found it anyway, right?  Cuz it's, oh, ZERUDA? and you're supposed to scour every square inch of land to complete the game, right?

Just like you would've ended up finding Saria and getting her song anyway, right?  At least there was a goron available to point out the music relationship.

Hey, you failed to get that music clue, which was only a matter of talking to an NPC.  Rather than being forced, it was your dumb luck that got you past the whole obstacle.

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
Why should someone suddenly have to backtrack to the Lost Woods or I guess you could use the shortcutin the first place. It'z Zelda not Metroid.

Backtracking to the Lost Woods was mandatory cuz you didn't have the ability to pickup bomb plants at that stage in the game (no Goron Bracelet, Darunia's gift), so you couldn't bomb the rocks that blocked the shortcut's path.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 06:24:53 AM »
you know thats part of the miyamoto game design philosophy, your not sure what to do, so just have fun and enjoy the playground that is hyrule, try to get some hearts, or maybe just messing around youll uncover it by accident. I fact its not usually an accident that you go there Miyamoto sets up how you think in the game. from the very beginning he controls your interests by directing you, giving you a false sense of freedom, where you think your doing something off the journey it turns out your doing exactly what he wanted to do.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 06:28:46 AM »
You're assuming people like to explore.  This is NWR, you can't expect so much from these guys =D

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 07:34:21 AM »

Remember you had to use Din's Fire to enter the Shadow Temple? If you never picked it up prior to visiting the room, you had NO CLUE such a spell existed. You just saw the fireball imprint on the pedestal.

On top of that, there were no obvious clues that told you to a Great Fairy would give it to you, nor where that Great Fairy was located. Forced? More like TOUGH LUCK PAL, YOU DIDN'T BOMB ALL OF HYRULE LIKE WE EXPECT YOU TO BUT NEVER TOLD YOU TO. I don't hear any complaints about that.
Wait a second. When you got the spin sword attack (top of Death Mountain) which was heavily hinted at (Someone outright told you to go to the top, then Navi kept reminding you) the Great Fairy does her stuff, then tells you to visit her "sister" (?) in Hyrule Castle. Once you get to the castle it's not exactly hard to find the other fairy and get Din's fire. After you got the bombs you knew that those types of rocks could be bombed.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 08:20:30 AM »
How do you people remember this crap?  Hell, when you guys were talking about the third boss in Twilight Princess it took me almost three minutes to remember who that was.  I barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning peanut butter toast and a bowl of oatmeal.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 08:34:40 AM »
OK, slightly bad example since people tend to explore the castle area thoroughly.  But that Great Fairy isn't mission-critical in the first phase of the game, so it's easy to overlook/skip and just head straight to Jabu Jabu and move forward with the story.

~~~~~

This is a thread of nintendo geek supremacy.  Real Zelda fans remember these things =D
(at least my memory is somewhat photographic)

I probably remember where most of the 100 skulltullas are as well.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 01:53:01 PM »

Why should someone suddenly have to backtrack to the Lost Woods or I guess you could use the shortcutin the first place. It'z Zelda not Metroid.

complaining about an eight year-old game. stupid, stupid.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »
Catching the 2 fish was te hardest part of TW, kinda sad

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 08:12:09 PM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12

Oh and IM I already have a Dreamcast and Fishing pole controller so thanks for the suggestion now **** ***

"Now Asterix Asterix Asterix Asterix Asterix Asterix Asterix!"
"STOP SAYING MY NAME SO MANY TIMES OBELIX"