Author Topic: How Does the 'Z' Button Feel on the Retro Controller?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline shrapnel09

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
How Does the 'Z' Button Feel on the Retro Controller?
« on: November 27, 2006, 11:39:40 AM »
i know atleast one of you has played mario 64 using the retro controller and im just curious how it feels using the Z button.  It seems that it is pushed a tad too far inward and im worried that it might not feel too good, this is one of the things that i was worried about when playing N64 games.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
RE:How Does the 'Z' Button Feel on the Retro Controller?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »
Actually, on N64 games (at least SM64), the L button works as the Z button, so it's no problem. But the Z buttons aren't hard to reach for me at all.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline shrapnel09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 12:05:27 PM »
are you serious?!.... whoa... ... i knew that did that for the GC controller... but the retro controller too! They must have listened to me, i know it! I sent a page in a half document on why the L button should be Z, and my cries have been answered! Ok ok... im sure other people thought the same thing and all that, im just so happy they did this.. i mean very ... very happy!!! YES!

Which leads me to wonder what the L button is for N64 games if it has been replaced with Z... hmm.. you _sure_ this is the retro controller we are talking about?

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
RE: How Does the 'Z' Button Feel on the Retro Controller?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 12:32:44 PM »
Well, if ya think about it.... can you think of ANY N64 games where you used the L button and Z trigger? It's almost impossible, due to the layout. You'd usually only use either the left prong (with the d-pad and L button), or the middle prong for the stick and Z button.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Offline shrapnel09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:04:27 PM »
well as long as you are 100% sure it is the retro controller you are talking about, and by the retro controller i mean the classic controller aka classicpad, aka this: http://www.nwiizone.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/wii-classic-controller.JPG

then everything is aallll right, thanks a lot grifin you have made my day, hell you have made my week! congrats.

**also one more thing, those triggers on the retro controller... those arnt analog triggers are they? i mean that wouldnt make sense that you would have to press all the way down on them for it to click... no sense at all, hehe im just worried about nothing.. right?!

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 01:19:19 PM »
O no thats no good..how are we ment to taunt in SSB and turn the map on/off in Zelda!  lol..

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 01:55:59 PM »
Okay, I did the full test for you guys. The L button, Z1, and Z2 all do the same thing (in mario 64). The L and R buttons ARE analogue like the GC (with the digital click), although there's not as much range of motion as the GC controllers. Give that, you really don't have to worry about that when it comes to quickly hitting the button (you do have to click it all the way down to work). If you do, then you can still use the Z1/2 buttons, as they're fully digital (you just have to reach a little bit more for them, but not much).  
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Offline shrapnel09

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 02:06:37 PM »
hey thanks for taking the time to do that griffin, but that one guy brings up a great point about the L button... some N64 games do use it and im not sure what is going to happen now... these are some strange times indeed.

But that makes absolutly no sense that they are not completely digital, i mean you cant use the Retro Controller for gamecube games... i really dont understand that at all.

but thanks again for your assistance.

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 02:45:20 PM »
From what I've been reading, they were apparently going to make the VC controller work with cube games, but pulled it... guess not soon enough to rework the shoulder buttons. It's no problem though, you really don't notice it. As for the other issue, I don't think it'll be a problem... there's more than enough buttons on the thing, and they're all easily reachable.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Offline shrapnel09

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 02:55:51 PM »
whoa, didnt know they had a quick reply.. i guess i will be using this now.

anyway the fact that you will eventually need an L button for a complete emulation brings me to think of a firmwire update that allows custom controlls, which they need really bad... seriously they need a y/b setup for NES games as i already discussed but its all pure speculation here.

I know what you are thinking: "why wont you let this thread die, stop replying" but i cant do that you see.. its about making as much money as you can while you can.  With that said i would like to ask you a question Griffin while i have you attention.  It has been said that Mario 64 tends to pause for a split second on a few occasions due to an emulation glitch... has this happend to you? and if it has does it get a little annoying? Remember be as critical as you can. thanks for your time  

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 03:38:23 PM »
I've only played the game for maybe 20 minutes max, but I haven't seen it. I'll play it for a little bit longer and see if I notice anything, though. Maybe if I knew when/where it tends to happen, I can verify it better.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info: