Author Topic: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread  (Read 187717 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread
« Reply #400 on: April 04, 2021, 01:28:08 PM »
With our luck these last few years it would be a case of zombi-ism and the world would plunge into that chaotic world some nutty folks I know are prepping for.

At least then we'll have a use for all them gunz!!!! yeeeaaah.... 'murica!!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 12, 2021, 01:30:47 PM »
Today Penny Arcade had a script about getting the vaccine.  The strip's creators are a few years older than me and it hit me of how different the situation is in Canada.  I work for an American company and in a recent meeting the discussion about offices re-opening came up and a manager remarked how "most of us" had received the first shot by now, and all the Canadian employees were like "uh, what?".  In Canada the vaccine rollout has been extremely slow. If you're of working age there is no real thought about whether or not to take the vaccine because it will be months before you're even eligible.  My father just received his first shot a few days ago.  He's 72 and was only eligible because he has health issues.  He was told he would get the second shot in 4 months.  The manufacturer's recommendation for the second dose is up to 6 weeks.

The extended period of time between dosages has contributed to apprehension for receiving the vaccine among people I talk to.  The concern is that it may make the whole vaccination ineffective, so why risk any side effects by taking it at all?  Or if you can't even get the second dose what effect does "half" a vaccine have?  And if the vaccine rollout takes too long then couldn't the virus mutate to a point where the vaccine has no effect?  Defying the manufacturer's recommended time between doses have given a lot of ammunition to the anti-vaccine narrative that Canadian citizens are being used as guinea pigs.

I find the whole situation very frustrating because the vaccine was supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel.  Vaccinate the population and this whole nightmare is supposed to be over.  But at this rate widespread vaccination even months from now seems like an impossible goal.  And this only works if a significant portion of the population get vaccinated and the botched rollout has increased anti-vaccination sentiment.  And this only works if the four month period between dosages isn't a mistake.  And this only works if the rollout occurs faster than the virus mutating into something immune to the vaccine.  The whole situation feels like crossing your fingers and hoping that everything works out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #402 on: April 12, 2021, 05:12:00 PM »
Oh, wow.  I had no idea what the roll out in Canada was like.  I'm sorry to hear all that.

I know in the US it's been kind of crazy since each state is pretty much in charge of their own roll out and information about who can get a shot and when comes suddenly.  But at least we aren't being told to wait four months between doses.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 13, 2021, 01:14:19 AM »
I thought Canada had their **** together more than the US but this sounds incredibly frustrating. Sorry to hear Ian and fellow Canucks.

On the bright side my wife got the first dose and I got scheduled for mine so things are looking good here...though some parts of our state are about to get downgraded into tighter lockdown because knuckleheads keep breaking distancing/quarantine anytime the weather turns a little bit nice (my correlation I am seeing, probably a lot more to it than that). Seems here the rate of hospitalization is increasing at similar rates to the vaccinations rates so feels a bit like an arms race.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 15, 2021, 11:59:53 AM »
I’m scheduled for the first shot of the Pfizer vaccine on Friday. 🎈🎉🍾🎊
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:11:52 PM by Adrock »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 15, 2021, 07:17:52 PM »
I got my first dose, the Astrazeneca one, in February. Aside from some tingly skin for one evening i've been fine ever since. I have to wait 10-11 weeks before the second dose, with the opinion that getting more people partially covered is better than smaller numbers of people fully covered.

We're finally starting to come out of a 7 month lockdown (it doesnt officially end until mid-June) so im happy to be able to do things again like watch movies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 15, 2021, 07:32:53 PM »
Was scheduled for Moderna but they gave me Pfizer instead as they ran out. Second shot early May. Feels like getting the flu vaccine. Sore arm muscles and general fatigue. Day 2 was worse with migraines and lots of soreness/fatigue but feeling better on day three after the wife took half my night shift with infant and I got a longer rest with a swig of nyquil.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #407 on: April 15, 2021, 08:53:02 PM »
Good to hear folks are able to get vacinated.  My second shot of the Pfizer is on the 22nd so next week.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 16, 2021, 02:01:52 AM »
Sounds like Pfizer is supposed to need a 3rd booster in less than 12 months, and potentially this becomes a yearly vaccine.

Plugabugz, I hope you don't experience any of the ill side0-effects from the Astra (was it blood clots?)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #409 on: April 16, 2021, 02:33:20 AM »
Yeah Astra had blood clots in the news recently
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 16, 2021, 05:52:54 AM »
Sounds like Pfizer is supposed to need a 3rd booster in less than 12 months, and potentially this becomes a yearly vaccine.

Plugabugz, I hope you don't experience any of the ill side0-effects from the Astra (was it blood clots?)

The stats suggest that it is 7 people in 1 million that is getting clots and, IIRC, they all had existing issues. Those numbers are not worth worrying over. People are out there doing riskier things than that.

I had none of those side effects aside from a headache and tinglyness. For comparison i felt a lot worse in December 2019 when this woman sneezed on me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:06:28 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 16, 2021, 10:12:44 AM »
That’s a small price to pay considering the alternative.

Last year notwithstanding, my employer has a flu shot day around October. I wouldn’t be surprised it if eventually added a COVID shot day. Then again, I really don’t know how it intends to justify ushering everyone back into the office. Ever. I don’t love working from home. However, it’s still the safest place for me to be.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #412 on: April 17, 2021, 01:48:22 AM »
I'm also ok with getting a booster.  I honestly don't care, as long as it's accessible.  It's been a long COVID year for me, so whatever gets us on the other side is fine with me.

I'm honestly mostly worried about how much this has renewed interest in the anti-vaxx crowd.  I have a friend who is pregnant and avoiding the vaccine just to be on the safe side.  CDC says it should be safe, but they ask pregnant people to track any side effects in an app.  The problem is that she, and maybe people like her, get reassurance in that kind of decision from the anti-vaxx crowd.  They also try to play on people's fears.  I saw my friend retweet a post detailing experiences from people who were around vaccinated friends and claiming symptoms they experienced were caused by being around vaccinated people despite an underlying theme of most of them having had or likely been exposed to COVID.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 22, 2021, 05:52:12 AM »
The gift that keeps on giving.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/21/mucormycosis-black-fungus-disease-linked-covid-spreads-india

this isn't specifically "covid" related, but kinda...
States across India have begun declaring a “black fungus” epidemic as cases of the fatal rare infection shoot up in patients recovering from Covid-19.

The fungal disease, called mucormycosis, has a 50% mortality rate. It affects patients initially in the nose but the fungus can then spread into the brain, and can often only be treated by major surgery removing the eye or part of skull and jaw.
[...]
It has also been reported in Covid patients who were on ventilators in intensive care units, due to their airways being exposed to humidity and moisture.
[...]
The disease is caused by fungal spores found in soil and organic matter, usually inhaled by humans from the air. The mould enters the body and then manifests around the nose and eye sockets, causing the nose to blacken, and if not stopped will move fatally into the brain. Healthy individuals will usually fight off the fungus but it can spread fast in those with compromised immunity.

Offline midgard95

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • EduHelpHub
« Reply #414 on: July 19, 2021, 05:44:42 AM »
well that's not all, now there are variants, each different than the other and shows resistance towards existing vaccines.  :( let's just hope we can come up with a broad spectrum vaccine that can help in eradicating this for good. or may be just this is the beginning of the apocalypse.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 05:50:30 AM by midgard95 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 27, 2021, 03:28:23 PM »
Surprise surprise, CDC updates guidance on wearing mask.

It turns out that the Ill advised mandate that vaccinated people can do everything without a mask was just a carrot on a stick to get people to vaccinate, completely ignoring the fact that vaccinated people can too can still get, carry, and transmit the virus to others, and are in fact catching, carrying, and transmitting the virus to others, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, all because they thought they were safe from the virus now that they were vaccinated.

🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️

So everyone, vaccinated or not, please wear your mask in public places where you are neither actively drinking or eating. And also in crowded spaces, even if in private residences with publicly social people.

This should've been the guidance going forward, but they really needed to bait everyone into getting vaccinated with the perk of "no mask needed".

Why must the gov be so inept?
Politics getting in the way of common sense.
10's-100's of thousands of deaths that could've been prevented if the people in charge weren't more worried about getting votes in the next election cycle instead of actually serving the public interest they were elected for.

/Signing back out of this thread
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:11:14 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 29, 2021, 05:41:49 PM »
Wife and I never stopped wearing them and I've been building a case at work for months that I don't want to go back in the Fall like they are planning. Felt like my manager was not really listening but I think I finally got through to him but we still need to wait until we are closer to get final decisions. I honestly plan on really digging my heels in and pulling all my cards to get semi-permanent wfh status. I have an infant with extra health concerns. No reasons they have given have justified mandating return to office even part-time, if anything part time is just as bad because coming in for team meetings means cramming into conference rooms and such.

We are far from being out of the woods so I and my family are buckled in for the long haul. I'm already looking for a new job that is 100% remote just in case my company will be refusing, but I don't see them doing that, as they have adapted in the past to individual employee concerns.

You got any links to the data you found you could share BnM?
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 29, 2021, 07:28:07 PM »
It really irks me that people have a really ritualistic notions on how this stuff works. We'd be over this mess by now, if everyone had taken a decent biology class.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 30, 2021, 01:55:58 AM »
It was a CDC press conference that was on shortly before I posted, of the CDC reversing guidelines, and being very cautious of not pissing off the anti-maskers by emphasizing that it wasn't a "mandate" just a "recommended guideline".

I was half listening while working, but the post conference news was trying to spin it as "rare" that a vaccinated person would carry the virus or be able to spread it. But the Delta variant reproduces much more rapidly and is much more contagious, so even vaccinated people are getting sick and spreading it to other vaccinated and unvaccinated people, because careless vaccinated people are running around thinking they are invincible and immune, forgetting they are still potential carriers and still potential spreaders, even if they aren't getting "sick" from the COVID they carry.

I'm just tired of this whole thing. I would like to think that if this wasn't ignored, and then massively mishandled from the get-go, that we'd be past all this already.... another "swine-flu/bird-flu" season passing type thing. If all they politicizing and misinformation campaign BS had been nixed before it even began by competent professionals in charge of these types of things, that maybe, we would've already been past this whole thing...

Instead we charge head-on towards "herd immunity" as quickly as possible by baiting the community to get vaccinated with promises of mask-less interactions being 100% safe, not that you shouldn't get vaccinated, just that you shouldn't think that just because you are, you are now immune and non-contaminable, when in reality, you just became the unaware sleeper spreader...

and I must pre-face this rant with the fact that I have 3 vaccinated friends that just tested positive, and 2 of them had to be hospitalized for a few days, so it's a little bit of a raw subject. /rant

edit: I just want to clarify that none of this rant was about being vaccinated or not being vaccinated. That's a choice that each individual will need to live or die with.

This was about the professionals in charge not having the balls to make the necessary calls for what needs to be done. Whether that is mandatory vaccinations is debatable, but a mandatory mask mandate, regardless of vaccination status, should not have been. It just makes sense to save a massive amount of lives while out in public and social settings while being minimally discomforting and not invasive at all.

This new variant is said to spread like chickenpox.... and some schools are already back in session.... and some of those schools have "optional" mask guidelines.... kids are just gonna unknowingly spread this **** everywhere, and the grownups are worried about the whiners who "can't breath" and need their "freedoms".

WE.ARE.NEVER.GETTING.PAST.THIS.MESS  (/real end to rant)

p.s. my daughter started school 2 days ago. mask are not options, they are mandatory, but kids will be kids, and the kids I'm worried about are the ones who parents are anti-masker types.... :/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:01:55 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 05, 2021, 05:25:31 PM »
Two lefts don't make a right...but three do!
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 18, 2021, 06:00:24 PM »
'Merica!!!

Tennessee
https://www.wkrn.com/news/nearly-1000-confirmed-covid-cases-in-middle-tn-schools/

https://www.wvlt.tv/2021/08/17/pediatric-icu-beds-over-75-percent-full-tennessee-according-state-report/

Mississippi
https://www.wbrz.com/news/mississippi-eighth-grader-dies-a-day-after-positive-coronavirus-test

Florida
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/17/us/florida-school-board-mask-mandate-hearing/index.html

Arizona
https://www.abc15.com/news/state/gov-ducey-announces-163m-in-grants-for-schools-without-mask-mandates

now won't someone think of the damn children!!?

oh, Texas putting some thought into this

and Finally the US Gubment decides that maybe the children are worth saving afterall....

But let's recall Cali's Gov....  :rolleyes:

And I hear there is a vaccine getting cleared for kids 6-12 coming in Sept/Oct.
The least the schools can do is mandate mask while on campus.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #423 on: August 18, 2021, 06:26:22 PM »
The COVID news has been especially dire lately, from Mississippi flat out asking for, and being denied, a medical ship to reports of states running out of ICU beds.  It's a damn mess.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 19, 2021, 04:44:30 PM »
Yeah, not a lot of encouraging news lately.  :-\ Looks like that medical vessel couldn't travel due to hurricanes.
There's been several articles (Science Magazine, NY Times, BBC) on the Covid situation in Israel lately, and it's not very reassuring. They were comparatively early to roll out mass vaccinations, with much of the population being fully vaccinated, and over 10% even having had a third booster shot.

But recently the Delta variant has been surging there regardless. Maybe the situation is very different so I shouldn't be comparing the two, but it's worrying. I'm so exhausted by all this.

Hope y'all are staying safe.