Author Topic: Prettiest, most eye-candiest, gorgeousest Switch games?  (Read 11097 times)

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Prettiest, most eye-candiest, gorgeousest Switch games?
« on: May 08, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
Hey all! Until very recently I have only had the means to play my Switch in handheld/portable mode. (Yes, that mournful braying you hear in the background is that of perhaps the singularly saddest trombone.) Beyond that, being a Nintendo guy, I’ve never really had the chance to play any HD games. But after moving into a new apartment and Uncle Sam deciding to give us a bigger than expected tax return, my wife and I got a pretty nice projector! I’m super excited to try out some HD games on the big screen (wall?), but I admit I am a bit out of the loop when it comes to what’s out there for Switch.

I have Zelda, Smash, Splatoon 2 and a handful of indie games, but not much else. And I like pretty much all genres of games other than sports/racing. So please, enlighten me, and hit me up with your recommendations for some of the prettiest Switch games out there. ^_^
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Prettiest, most eye-candiest, gorgeousest Switch games?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 03:39:49 PM »
Cuphead may not be a graphical powerhouse, but the art is very pretty and filled with a lot of little details that are easy to miss while playing, especially in handheld mode.  Would probably look great on your projector.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »
Ooh nice, thanks, just watched a trailer about that one... wow, that style.
Twitter

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 04:23:14 PM »
Starlink looks really nice even though the Switch version likes to run at weird resolutions that cause a bit of blurriness on the screen.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
Hellblade: Setsuna's Sacrifice looks drop dead amazing.

I would also argue that all the Panic Button ports are worth seeing too: Doom, Wolfenstein 2, Warframe, etc.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:13:36 PM »
Hellblade: Setsuna's Sacrifice looks drop dead amazing.

I would also argue that all the Panic Button ports are worth seeing too: Doom, Wolfenstein 2, Warframe, etc.

agreed. Checkout Mario Kart and Snake Pass on your projector too.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 12:26:52 PM »
Super Mario Odyssey is a must!

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »
Whoops, I left Mario Odyssey and Starlink off my list! I have them and will try them next!

I also have to say, Smash is pretty amazing-looking. So much polish. And the score/sfx! Top-notch.

Senua's Sacrifice looks rad, and I'm going to have to look up Snake Pass… Panic Button ports I'll check out! I actually played Wolfenstein (the original!) way back on DOS, haha. It was amazing for its time.

What about another port, Dark Souls? A friend of mine raved about it, and I'm tempted to check it out…
Twitter

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 04:08:36 PM »
Skyrim generally looks pretty nice. It uses a lot of textures from the remastered version.

Also Owlboy. Do not forget Owlboy.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 04:34:31 PM »
Skyrim… never played that either, but I know enough to at least enjoy all the memes. :P

Owlboy! Nice!

I knew I could count on you all. My wishlist is getting very full. <3
Twitter

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 04:52:59 PM »
Skyrim is more than worth playing on it's own.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 12:12:54 PM »
Don't have a Switch so realistically speaking I have nothing to contribute. HOWEVER, this being the Internet, I will ignore reality and inflate the importance of my baseless opinions instead.

A lot of this will boil down to personal preferences of art styles, but I'd say with Zelda Breath of the Wild you have a contender for nicest looking game already. Switch off the HUD in the options and you basically have a playable Studio Ghibli experience to project on your wall. Might not impress in the 'approaching Xbox graphics' way that those Panic Button games (Warframe/Doom 2016/Wolfenstein), or Outlast 2 seem to (although the latter reviewed terribly otherwise), but the Zelda art style is incredible in my opinion.

Other art styles that really pop: GRIS has a gorgeous watercolour style going on, FĂ© has a magical look about it, DragonBall Z Fighters looks impressive in motion, Figment might appeal to art majors with its Escher-meets-surrealism look, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze has some cool backlit levels, Cuphead for its 1930ies animation, maybe the Monster Boy games if you like colourful modern animation too. Lastly, I don't know if  Everspace has been released yet or what it is, but I remember seeing some impressive space vistas.

Also, you said no racing/sports, but if you ever change your mind... FAST RMX probably looks sick too. I had the previous entry on Wii U and that was already impressive, especially relative to the size of the development studio.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 01:08:08 PM »

Do we have a Skyrim thread? I played a bunch of it on Switch, but not sure if I posted about it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
Hmm... Rayman Legends?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 04:44:35 PM »
With all due respect, are you a bot?

EDIT: THIS POST NO LONGER MAKES SENSE. PLEASE DISREGARD.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 04:30:09 PM by nickmitch »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »

Do we have a Skyrim thread? I played a bunch of it on Switch, but not sure if I posted about it.

I searched and could not find one, so I started one.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
I haven't seen any that blew me away. The last Nintendo game that was eye candy for me was Pikmin 3 on Wii U.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 05:48:39 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I wish Pikmin 3 would be released on Switch, Perm. I didn't have a Wii U so missed that one completely. It's one of my favorite series, too... ;<

Ehh??? Point me at a picture grid asking to mark all that depict street signs, and I will succeed! Show me a field of swirly, garbly text, and I will type the letters true! Give me a checkbox that reads "I'm not a robot" and I will surely tick that box no matter how small!

Besides that, I knew you an internet lifetime ago, when you were the Man of TVs, waging unending wars of changing allegiances with a relentless mafia. So, no sir, I am no bot. Nay.

Or were you talking to someone else? :3
Twitter

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 06:22:32 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I wish Pikmin 3 would be released on Switch, Perm. I didn't have a Wii U so missed that one completely. It's one of my favorite series, too... ;<

There was another post that directly copied someone'd post further up the thread. This is why I try to quote them so I do look like a lunatic when their post is deleted.

Would love to get a Pikmin HD collection on Switch. That and Prime Trilogy HD would be great titles to tide us over until #4 for each of them release.

Speaking of HD trilogies, kinda hoping we get some of the PS360 era ones like Prince of Persia Sands trilogy, Metal Gear Solid, and the Assassin's Creed Ezio collection. I have a feeling those could be easy money and Capcom and Square have no problem dropping their older titles. In fact, those newer Tomb Raider games would be a nice add as well.
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 09:21:38 PM »
So, which game looks the best?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 04:31:08 PM »

There was another post that directly copied someone'd post further up the thread. This is why I try to quote them so I do look like a lunatic when their post is deleted.

That is what happened.  It was either a bot or someone struggling with English.  I didn't want to be rude.

Offline kaijugamer

• Spambot
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 10:39:46 PM »
Although it was a port, Okami Remaster will always be one of my favorite. In terms of graphic, it's not the best but the art style is rich, vibrant, and quirky. Some of the scenes are breathtaking. The world is captivating and I was hooked the first time I played it on Switch.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 06:26:58 PM »
So, which game looks the best?

… Gotta give it to Breath of the Wild, dang. IT'S JUST SO PURTY *eyes cry rainbows*

Haven't tried Senua's Sacrifice yet, or any of the fancy ports because $$. But I will as soon as I can.

Although it was a port, Okami Remaster will always be one of my favorite. In terms of graphic, it's not the best but the art style is rich, vibrant, and quirky. Some of the scenes are breathtaking. The world is captivating and I was hooked the first time I played it on Switch.

Thank you for reminding me! I love Okami, and I actually re-bought this as well. <3 I'm a sucker for the art style.
Twitter

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
Saints Row 3 is pretty nice. It helps that the city itself is generally pretty stylised with bright neon lights all over the place, especially at night but there's a specific mission I played where the weather is rigged to be a massive thunderstorm during that mission and the effect of utility boxes on some of the power lines exploding and sending electric sparks flying everywhere because of the storm was legitimately really impressive looking and holds up really well.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 06:51:35 PM »
So you would say the big-fix patch did its job and now the game is worth buying? Tempted to pick it up soon if that is the case.
My Game Collection