Author Topic: PS3 is a computer - GET IT RIGHT!  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
PS3 is a computer - GET IT RIGHT!
« on: June 08, 2006, 07:02:19 AM »
Just read it here

Clicky

I'm honestly outraged. I knew it was going to happen at some point, but still, i'm pissed. I dont' want game consoles to become upgradeable. The whole reason why game consoles continue to persist is because any game made for it can be played by it. Constrast to the PC where only the latest PC's can play the latest games.

This is bullsh!t!

I'm stickin with the Wii.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:PS3 is a computer - GET IT RIGHT!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 07:13:54 AM »
32X

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
RE: PS3 is a computer - GET IT RIGHT!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 07:20:45 AM »
I hate the whole idea of Consoles becoming like Computers. The Console is for playing games with out the headach of having to upgrade them ever 2 months to play the latest games, Its not for web surfing, checking email, downloading music and pictures and all this other BS. Thats why I have a God damn PC. Why can't Sony get this through their think skull. We don't need all the extra grabage in the PS3 we just want a simple little box that plays games and maybe DVD movies. Nothing else.

I'm happy I'm a Nintendo Fan! It's all about the Games!
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 07:24:12 AM »
I don't want consoles to be like computers either.  However, what the guy is saying sounds like a bunch of rubbish.  They tried upgrading PS2 with a hard drive and gave up almost right away, I'm sure they'll discover nobody wants to upgrade PS3s, either.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Syl

• O_o
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:04:20 AM »
Hey, Couchmonkey, i absolutely *LOVE* my PS2 harddrive, but for all the wrong reasons.

Likewise, I believe the only thing that makes the PS3 horrendous for being a "computer" is that the wonderful cell processer doesn't have OOO commands.  Without OOO commands it's relatively worthless in most operating system environments.  

If the backwards compability thing using a PS2 chip is true - i'll most likely be shoving in a half-terabyte drive into my PS3.  My PS2's 160 gig is overfilled already...  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 08:17:35 AM »
Turning a console into a computer is a stupid idea because it turns the PC into a competitor.  If I have to upgrade my console then why even own a console?  I already have a PC which is capable of doing so much more than a console so I might as well apply my "upgrade money" to that.  The PC is already a widely used standard and is a much "safer" purchase for me than a proprietary console.  Plus if devs have to deal with the BS of having different hardware configurations they might as well support the PC and skip the licencing fees.

Ken Kuturgi is just f*cking insane.  I'd pay good money to see a debate between him and George Lucas.  The too most delusional nutbars in the entertaiment industry EXPLODE in a battle of wits!

Sony is so f*cked.  I don't know if Nintendo is winning next gen but I'm pretty certain Sony isn't.

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 08:21:21 AM »
Indeed.
smash brothers : 5069-3792-8710

wii: 2034-1057-8595-3928

if you send me a PM, I'll add you more quickly

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 08:30:46 AM »
I really can't see Sony doing this in the end. Even if they do, I can't imagine them continuing with the concept very long after it proves unfruitful, like couchmonkey said... if they do stubbornly stick to this, like UMDs, then they are more or less trying their best to kill off the Playstation name.

Originally posted by: Frozen Atlantic
Indeed.

Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 09:16:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: Frozen Atlantic
Indeed.

Actually, I thought a one word reply was quite apt in this case.

Upgrading the RAM in a console is the worst idea I've ever heard.

Hard drive? Ok, fine. Maybe I intend to use my console for things which will need lots of storage and maybe I'll use it for just game which require little to no storage and I don't want to pay for the extra space (once again, the primary reason why the Wii's use of USB storage is pure gold: no need to open your console and fiddle around inside of it).

But RAM? When is a customer going to want LESS RAM? The entire point of a console is that the architecture contained within is static so that developers know exactly the specifications to which they can design games. The N64 had trouble with this with the "expansion" which added 4 MB of extra video RAM to the console which certain games needed to function. If you add RAM upgrades to the mix, especially customizable RAM, it will effectively divide the PS3 userbase into segments based on how much RAM they have because they then have a console with different specs.

Terrible idea. One more nail in Sony's coffin...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 09:43:16 AM »
PS2 is a computer, too. And I'm not talking about its PS/2 namesake.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 09:49:42 AM »
Don't they do this for some sort of tax break in Europe?  Just because they call it a computer doesn't make it so.

(If you beat a man hard enough he'll tell you he started the Chicago fire.  It doesn't necessarily make it so.)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 10:17:55 AM »
I wonder....is Sony trying to make the PS3 the next MegaDrive?

Edit: oops, should've been a ? not a ¡
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 11:15:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Ken Kuturgi is just f*cking insane.  I'd pay good money to see a debate between him and George Lucas.  The too most delusional nutbars in the entertaiment industry EXPLODE in a battle of wits!

They'd probably walk out of the debate hall holding hands.
I'll shut up now...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 11:42:09 AM »
I think this is just idle talk and nothing big will ever come of it.  Saying it is also a computer could be just another way to justify the insane price.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 02:36:40 PM »
This is disturbing. Ever since e3 the big 3 have been spewing more spin, more nonsense, dare I say, delusions of grandeur? Sony's the worst offender, though Nintendo(saying that that the Wii is not a nex-gen console) and Microsoft(Saying that people don't want backwards compatability) aren't too far behind. Where's the gaming press to hold these people accountable? They can't expect to say whatever they want and expect the people to hang on to these ridiculous rants...

If you want to get technical, Sony calls the PS2 a 'computer entertainment system'. So in their delusional mind, this is probably just an extension of this title.

What's next? Offer an OS, sold seperatley, that does...what exactly?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 03:09:58 PM »
They're all computers, they just suck.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 09:33:21 PM »
Nintendo's "new generation" quote was quite a doozy of a delusion, but this "PS3 is not a toy, it is more than a game machine, it's a computer" shyt takes the cake for king of insane comments by a head of a billion dollar company this generation.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg