Author Topic: So is PSX/PS2 backwards compatibility confirmed with the PS3?  (Read 8360 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: So is PSX/PS2 backwards compatibility confirmed with the PS3?
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 12:48:33 PM »
Actually, we think very little of the $500 version.  Using the BRD player angle, it's lack of HDMI output cripples its effectiveness as a BRD player.  Depending on how the encryption schemes for HD content are finalized by the consortium(s), the high-rez output will be scaled down for analog connections, or they might decide to deny any "higher-rez" output completely in the absence of HDMI.

So the $500 ps3 is a "cheaper" BRD player that... doesn't do what BRD is meant to do.

Werd.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »
I pay 15% sales tax, will be 14 in July. If I assume the PS3 will be $699 in Canada (maybe, could be $750) and games are $65, then with tax I'll be paying $871 for one system and one game.

Of course I won't be paying that because I'm not a moron and wont but the system. But still!!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 05:30:51 PM »
In the Sony presentation, they said it would be $659 in Canada - probably because of the exchange rate.. I was really surprised that it was so cheap (comparatively).
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE:So is PSX/PS2 backwards compatibility confirmed with the PS3?
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 03:33:39 PM »
Here in the other part of California, we have 7.25% tax. Good amount though still too high.  I think I might think about going up to Oregon that week to visit my friend and not pay any sales tax at all.  I'd save around $50 alone, that I'll make up for in gas prices.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »
http://www.gametab.com/news/589529/
^PS3 might be using PS2 hardware for backwards compability.

Good news: Everything that plays on the PS2 should work fine.  (Hell, i might even have a small chance of being able to use my HDloader)

Bad news: No plausible upgrading of the game to run at higher resolutions.

Still, far better option than the 360 is using.  

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 04:30:07 PM »
With no graphic update and no Memory card support whats the point in playing your old PSOne and PS2 games on a PS3?
You might as well just stick with a PS2 Slim at least that way you don't have to restart all your old games again.

If anything it feels like Sony will be in the same boat as MS when it comes to BC.
With the PS3, Sure you can play your old games, but they will look the same as they did on the PS2 and you will have to start them all over again
With the Xbox, Sure you can only play a few, but with out Memory card support you have to start them all over again, So whats the point? But at least with the Xbox you get a graphic update.

If not having the PS2 built in could have cut $100 off the PS3 I would have been fine with Sony following the same path as MS with BC.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 05:04:05 PM »
Considering the reason I don't own an Xbox360 yet is because the backwards compatibility is crap.... and the reason I bought a PS2 was because the backwards compability was excellent...  

I am very glad with this.  However, the lack of ports and memory card compability is still something that confuses me.  With the already exuberent price of the PS3, and with keeping the hardware the same - i think the extra few bucks would be very, very well used.

Of course, i'm in the minority with the fact that i'll be keeping my PS2 hooked up regardless of the backwards compatibility of the PS3, simply because I have a modded PS2 with some rather.... appetizing.... features that i won't ever want to give up.  

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 05:21:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Louieturkey
Here in the other part of California, we have 7.25% tax. Good amount though still too high.  I think I might think about going up to Oregon that week to visit my friend and not pay any sales tax at all.  I'd save around $50 alone, that I'll make up for in gas prices.

Well, if California is anything like Maryland, they expect you to pay sales tax on whatever you bring in state that you didn't pay sales tax on in another state.  It works on the honor system.  

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2006, 06:44:37 PM »

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
Well, if California is anything like Maryland, they expect you to pay sales tax on whatever you bring in state that you didn't pay sales tax on in another state.  It works on the honor system.

Never heard of that before.  CA is too big that most people won't leave to a place like Oregon anyways.  I don't think we even have that law anyways.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2006, 08:47:35 PM »
I think Sony (or some rumors) said that they'll remove the hardware and replace it with software emulation when they finish it, which may mean that backwards compatibilty differs between earlier and later batches.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2006, 07:23:51 AM »
Following what Syl was saying earlier, backwards compatability on Xbox 360 sucks!  I was double-checking the list to see if they added anything interesting lately, but it seems that they basically focused on the Tom Clancy games, which I couldn't care less about.  I want Sega and Grabbed by the Ghoulies (yes, Grabbed by the Ghoulies).   GbtG, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie and Shenmue 2 make up half of my Xbox 360 "top 10" list.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX