Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #38 Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RFN RetroActive #38 Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
« on: February 05, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »
It's time for our next RetroActive, NES title Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom. Post your thoughts here and we might just use them on the show!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive #38 Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 04:17:49 PM »
The writing in this game is really good. I guess when you only need graphics for a small window of the screen you can fit a lot of text in the cartridge.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »
I started watching a commentaryless Longplay of this game aaaaaaaaaaaand promptly fell asleep. :C

I have to be in the right sort of mood for an old timey adventure game like this or Shadowgate or Deja Vu to really capture my imagination. It's probably the fact that I had 3DO FMV games in this genre that introduced me to blame for my disdain for things, but hey! I probably wouldn't even know who the heck Tia Carerre besides being Wayne's girlfriend if it wasn't for games like The Daedalus Encounter...

Maybe Princess Tomato & the Salad Kingdom would catch my eye more if it were a bunch of FMV actors dressed up in vegitable suits? naaaaaaaaaaah.

Regardless, this is one of those games I'm likely not going to participate in the retroactive for. I have a cousin who owns about half of the licensed NTSC library for the NES, and This, Bucky O'hare, and Chubby Cherub are probably the games that are biggest on his bucket list of things he never came across in his flea market wandering days. If this would have been say... Rock n' Cats, Panic Restaurant, or the NES attack of the Killer Tomatoes, I would have had some insight into this game from previous experience, but as of now, I really don't have the energy to secretly install FCEUX, DS3 drivers, and a ROM on a laptop I don't own, and I certainly am not interested in loading up Wii Shop channel funds when I'm in a position where I can afford very little game wise.

Have fun, kids.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:17:28 PM »
My only exposure to this game is GameCenter CX episode:

I really like the cover art (looks like a shot from stop-motion short) and in-game art though:
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
Can somebody explain to me the point of getting the pass from the turnips so you can get into the city when the guard just takes the pass from you and makes you wait for him to fall asleep?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
After trying to play day of the tentacle remastered and being severely bored of it within 5 minutes, I've decided some of these older style adventure games aren't in my wheelhouse.  Not participating, but interested to hear impressions from other forumers who play and the actual retroactive.

Hopefully the next retroactive is in a genre I feel good participating in.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 03:12:15 AM »
I like everything about this game, except actually playing it. A fun and weird world, clever writing, fun music, and good artwork. But the gameplay...well, the best I can say is it's a product of its time. I didn't really grow up playing PC Adventure games. Sure, I would try a game at a friends house for a bit, but Phoenix Wright is the first such game I earnestly got into. I like the early Ace Attorney in spite of sometimes obtuse game logic triggering events during the Investigation phases. Princess Tomato shares similar flaws, only they seem far more omnipresent. I spent way too long trying to find the cabaret in the second chapter--still couldn't tell you what I did that finally allowed me to see that shop on the street. And why the heck do I need to tie up the warden for a lantern to appear in the storage room? It also doesn't help that the "check" and "look" commands seem synonymous to me.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 03:41:48 AM »
Tell you guys what. If I get the part for my PC I need tomorrow, finish my build, get Windows 10 installed, and think to find a way to play Princess Tomato and the Salad Kingdom, I'll give this game a shot. probably with a Walkthrough at hand because I don't have the patience for the sort of BS that stuff like Shadowgate and Deja vu throws at you.