Author Topic: Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime Says Gamers are Impossible to Satisfy  (Read 33697 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime Says Gamers are Impossible to Satisfy
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2012, 10:37:12 PM »
On the off chance that Nintendo udoes a complete 180 on their entire corporate history, I'd take my dollars elsewhere.  I like Nintendo, but I love me more.  I'll pick myself up and move on. Like an adult.
What?! You're not just going to spend hours of your day year after year complaining about it on an online message board that Nintendo doesn't even read? You're doing it wrong, UncleBob.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »
Yes, spending an equal amount of time complaining about the complainers is a real improvement.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2012, 10:44:51 PM »
It was a joke. Chill out, champ.

Thanks for the smite. Lulz.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2012, 02:24:38 AM »
Besides, everyone knows that Nintendo reads these forums.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »
UncleBob is secretly Bill Trinen.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
For all we know Reggie could secretly be a member here.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
UncleBob is secretly Bill Trinen.

I can assure you that's not the case.  If you know anything about my politics and follow Bill on Twitter, we're such absolute opposites that I'm not even sure I could fake it. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »
That's exactly what Bill Trinen would say to throw us off the scent of him secretly being you.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
For all we know Reggie could secretly be a member here.

You rang?

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »

Here, there be Nintendo execs...

Anyway... E3 2010 is how you satisfy gamers' hunger. Granted, that leaves you with literally nothing else to talk about. But that's about the only way everyone will be happy.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
Somehow I figure an undercover Nintendo exec wouldn't be able to avoid sounding too corporate.  He would use terms that only Nintendo uses and avoid fan created acronyms or nicknames.  And he would never bitch about anything ever.  I imagine it would be hard to find someone on here who has never said something negative about a Nintendo product at some point.

If Reggie is on here he's pretty damn clever to fit in.  The guy has been accused of not being a gamer in this very thread so how would he "fake" that effectively?  It would be hard to blend in.  Someone with no real videogame experience would probably expose his ignorance pretty quickly.

Unless he is so smart that his public persona is all a ruse to trick us and he actually knows videogames very well.  Like infiltrating NWR is so damn important that he intentionally held off on Xenoblade just to damage his gamer cred and remove suspicion.

Though couldn't corporate stooges just lurk to get the info they want?

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
It'd make sense for them to be reading these forums.  It's smart business to know what your most loyal customers are thinking about your products and services.  For example, the cruise lines track what is being discussed on cruisecritic.com  Companies pay to find out what their customers think about their products and services (NPD surveys, how most stores have a feedback survey at the bottom of the receipt) why not at least track what your customers are saying about you when the info's out there for free?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2012, 10:09:03 PM »
It'd make sense for them to be reading these forums.  It's smart business to know what your most loyal customers are thinking about your products and services.  For example, the cruise lines track what is being discussed on cruisecritic.com  Companies pay to find out what their customers think about their products and services (NPD surveys, how most stores have a feedback survey at the bottom of the receipt) why not at least track what your customers are saying about you when the info's out there for free?

Cuz any idiot can post anything at all, without it having to be true or reasonable?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2012, 10:10:36 PM »
We know some developers read NWR (and even post), so I wouldn't be shocked if someone at Nintendo was too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
i saw this on reddit today

impossible to satisfy eh? IF something that looked remotely like this got made it would be great.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2012, 09:03:29 AM »
I just creamed my pants. Oh lord, that would be great! Gimmie that game NOW.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2012, 09:36:13 AM »
Yeah, it would be nice if Nintendo finally made a real Pokemon RPG for their latest console.  I've been waiting for that since the N64.  It could get me back into Pokemon (I haven't played a Pokemon game since Pearl, and hadn't before that since Yellow).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »
Go Go Fan made stuff.  Plus did the Ivysaur come down so hard to make a sand arena.  I figure that would just be a slumming it on the Grass.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »
Do you know what's sad?  It's been at least ten years since Nintendo SHOULD have released that Pokemon RPG and they still haven't.  2002 would have been the sort of timeframe that would have been perfect.  At the time I figured the N64 just wasn't powerful enough to really do a full Pokemon RPG justice so it would have to wait for the Cube.  We're TWO SYSTEMS later and still no word.  If you ever want an example of Nintendo being clueless and out-of-touch, THIS IS IT!  How do you sit on this title when every fan has been asking for it for since Pokmeon Red/Blue came out 14 years ago?  Such a title could probably have made a huge difference on the success of the Gamecube.

I would buy a Wii U for this game.  I'm on the fence right now but Pikmin 3 and a real Pokemon RPG for a console?  Yeah, that would make the decision for me.

When I think of this hypothetical Pokemon RPG it actually looks like an N64 game in my head since that is the system I originally thought of it for.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
Do you know what's sad?  It's been at least ten years since Nintendo SHOULD have released that Pokemon RPG and they still haven't.  2002 would have been the sort of timeframe that would have been perfect.  At the time I figured the N64 just wasn't powerful enough to really do a full Pokemon RPG justice so it would have to wait for the Cube.  We're TWO SYSTEMS later and still no word.  If you ever want an example of Nintendo being clueless and out-of-touch, THIS IS IT!  How do you sit on this title when every fan has been asking for it for since Pokmeon Red/Blue came out 14 years ago?  Such a title could probably have made a huge difference on the success of the Gamecube.

I would buy a Wii U for this game.  I'm on the fence right now but Pikmin 3 and a real Pokemon RPG for a console?  Yeah, that would make the decision for me.

When I think of this hypothetical Pokemon RPG it actually looks like an N64 game in my head since that is the system I originally thought of it for.

I think considering the emphasis they've placed on having a robust online Infastructure for it, the Wii U is the most likely home console to have a Pokemon RPG yet.  Perhaps this is asking too much, but maybe the next (2) Pokemon games can be one 3DS game and one more meaty Wii U title with connectivity?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
Odds of a console POCKET Monsters game on previous systems: 0%
Odds of same on the WiiU: 0.000000...001%
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »
XD- Gale of Darkness would like to have a word with you.

Pokemon is a MONEYMAKER. If they released a game for Wii U it would sell like hotcakes. The stubborn refusal to do so because of brand name is idiotic. Besides, they're called Pokemon partly for the portable aspect but more likely because they're Monsters that fit in balls that go in your POCKET.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »
The whole "Pocket Monsters" excuse makes no sense since there are Pokemon games on consoles and have been since the N64.  They're just not RPGs (or GOOD RPGs I should say) and often aren't even good games.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2012, 04:46:18 PM »
You the gamer do not literally hold monsters in your pocket, but isn't that what the human characters do? I think the Pocket Monster name is referring to what the characters in the game do; not what YOU do.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
I SUSPECT that Nintendo's tack with Pokemon is as a "clean up hitter" money maker franchise on already-established, heavily user-based platforms with a heavy emphasis on player<->player interaction. You don't have that same sort of interaction on consoles. Also, consoles probably have less of a reach into the younger demographics than handhelds, as well as a smaller userbase outright.

But in addition to that, console level production values also affects profit margins. It's worth noting that the Pokemon games come off as immensely graphically unambitious, which probably keeps dev costs down, and perhaps suits the limited size/ability of GameFreak, who co-own the Pokemon rights with Nintendo.

Pokemon is something of the pinnacle of Gunpei Yokoi's "innovation with withered technology" streak that Nintendo has in them. They found a fun, unique, and profitable formula that relies not on high-end technology but on the strength of a basic idea concept that works even on GB level technology. Throwing that on a console, without carefully re-examining what made it a profitable success in the first place, would be something that I consider as, frankly, short-sighted, careless, and ill-advised.

I'd love to see a mainline Pokemon experience on a console. Don't get me wrong. But I like the fact that Nintendo is being careful with how they handle the franchise and its unique strengths and position in their portfolio instead of buying into the "bigger is always better" hype that would lead to a quickie console release. I still hope to see a Pokemon Console Mainline RPG, but I hope it happens when it makes sense from Nintendo's point of view, and not just because my first instinct as a consumer when I get something nice is "make a sequel, but with twice as much EVERYTHING!"
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.