Author Topic: Resident Evil: Revelations to Cost $50  (Read 16018 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Resident Evil: Revelations to Cost $50
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »

The price is justified, according to Capcom.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28300

Resident Evil: Revelations will be the first 3DS game priced at $50.

A Capcom representative told Kotaku that the reason the game has been priced at $50 is that "Resident Evil Revelations is an all new Resident Evil title with over 20 hours of gameplay, and cutscenes beautifully rendered in fear-inducing 3D". He elaborates, "A true console experience on a handheld device, Resident Evil Revelations is an epic title that offers both a single-player campaign for that classic survival horror gaming experience, and an additional RAID mode that can be played cooperatively or single player. To handle all of that data Resident Evil Revelations requires a 4GB cartridge, resulting in a higher price point."

The game will be released in North America on February 7, 2012.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil: Revelations to Cost $50
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »
I hope this game sells well because Capcom needs to be rewarded for doing such a spectacular job on developing for the 3DS. I see this games as not only what the potential of the 3DS itself can do, but what a third party can do if they put actual effort into developing for a system. I hope it sells a million copies.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline DanielM

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
I'll gladly pay $50 for this game.
Daniel Mousseau
Web Programmer

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:04:07 PM »
The price may be justified, but that doesn't mean people are going to pay it.  Look at the 3DS itself, or even the PS3...very cool items, but the price scared away even long-time customers.  However, this is Resident Evil, so I'm sure it'll sell well...but I could also see people holding off until it goes on sale at some point down the line.

From a marketing standpoint, Capcom would be wise to throw in some type of cool swag to make the price go over a little easier; almost like a Collector's Edition without it being labeled as one.

This does make me wince, however.  First off, the line "a true console experience on a handheld device" sounds very PSP-like, which automatically make me vomit in my throat a little.  Second off, the fact that we're even seeing games this expensive being released for a handheld device in this day and age (not to mention economy) makes me vomit in my throat a little.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
Whether Capcom likes it or not people still handheld games as "lesser" then their console siblings. That is why you see so many multi platform games (especially seen with PSP) come out for a cheaper price on the handheld. I think Capcom may be shooting themselves in the foot. The standard price of a 3DS game is 30-40, not $50, and that includes some upcoming titles like Kid Icarus, Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 which are all likely going to be high quality, "console like" experiences.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:36 PM »
Well, if Capcom's going to treat this game like a console game and charge for it about the same as a console game, I hope it actually becomes a console game at some point so I can play it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pajamas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
Capcom just lost my money.
3DS Friend Code: 0044-2803-2317

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:29:18 PM »
This may not bode well for the future of games that use larger size cards, I hope that this doesn't become an acceptable trend.

Offline Ailingforale

• View Profile
    • The Video Game Backlog
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »
I hope it's as worth it as they say.  If it is and people freely purchase it, then maybe some other companies will get off their butts and also make some games with some quality rather than quantity like we saw on the Wii (since it was mostly Nintendo).  I still plan to buy this game when it comes out.
TheVideoGameBacklog.com

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
Aaah.  I'll buy it at a high price.

Offline Praefectia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
Still buying it used. Capcom gets none of my money.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »

Not enough CASH, Stranger.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »

What Capcom will do to prevent this is only one save state, so if you were to buy it used then you will have to finsih the game where the original buyer left off.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »

What Capcom will do to prevent this is only one save state, so if you were to buy it used then you will have to finsih the game where the original buyer left off.

I believe Capcom's already stated they aren't doing that again after the backlash they had from The Mercenaries 3D.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
This may not bode well for the future of games that use larger size cards, I hope that this doesn't become an acceptable trend.
The price of larger cards will drop over time. Revelations is the first and so far only game to use a larger capacity card.

$50 isn't a bad price considering it's a legitimate RE title and Capcom put out all the stops. The game looks AMAZING. If people thought $40 for an upgraded port of a 13 year old game that Nintendo had previously given away for free (twice) was acceptable, I can't see why they'd be balking at this. From what I've read, the game is packed and they even included online multiplayer. I find the price fair.
Lulz. You win this entire thread. +1 for you.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:48:45 PM by Adrock »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »
Makes me wonder how much they will charge for Monster Hunter 4? Perhaps $50 as well?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »
That will probably depend on how many people buy this one at $50 and whether chip costs come down in the meantime.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline RPG_FAN128

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • RPG_FAN128 Programming
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »
(C) Amazon.com Pre-Order Price Guarantee "the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date."  It's listed at 39.99 still.........
........or does this only apply if the price DECREASES ?   I don't know myself. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:41:05 PM by RPG_FAN128 »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
They're saying the right things, but Jon is right -- even $40 is too high for American handheld gamers. I think Capcom will sell as many as they can at this original price and then make up residuals when retailers drop it a month or two later.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »
they are out they damn minds. I will never pay 50$ for a handheld game. no way, no how.

**** like this will only accelerate the move to phones. Less is more when it comes to pricing these days.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 10:14:10 PM »
Introducing the CapTax

why should Square be the only one that gets this privilege?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 10:31:24 PM »
This game might get a Vita port if not too many 3DS gamers take the plunge.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 10:42:37 PM »
I cannot believe that a 4gb flash chip of any sort isn't dirt cheap.  At retail its only a dollar difference between 2gb and 4gb.  We know Nintendo isn't using cutting edge tech and the casing is the same.  Cart size today should be a non-issue till I start hearing 8 or 16gig carts.

That's just a bull excuse.  They're pricing it this way because they know they can.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:46:18 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 10:44:43 PM »
They're pricing it like a Wii game, so I'll do like I do for most hyped 3rd party Wii games and wait for reviews and a price drop if necessary.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 10:53:58 PM »
I cannot believe that a 4gb flash chip of any sort isn't dirt cheap.  At retail its only a dollar difference between 2gb and 4gb.  We know Nintendo isn't using cutting edge tech and the casing is the same.  Cart size today should be a non-issue till I start hearing 8 or 16gig carts.

That's just a bull excuse.  They're pricing it this way because they know they can.
It's not Flash, it's PROM. I don't know the pricing details, but the performance should be better than SD Flash cards, and thus, the price higher.
Aaron Kaluszka