Author Topic: favorite sports?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Adamab

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
favorite sports?
« on: January 07, 2011, 05:19:42 AM »
what is your favorite sports?
I'm a big rugby fan as well as cricket. I love rugby and play it here regularly at University. To not be involved with a team sport seems crazy and not even an option at this moment in my life. I hope to always be involved with team sport at some level. A good day is a day you don't have to sit in front of the computer and spend outside the whole day.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: favorite sports?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:10:34 AM »
I like playing hockey and watching footy and cricket. All teams from queensland and um sydney are hopeless.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
Chess. Though the game just hasn't been the same since Bobby Fischer died.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »
My main favorite sports are hockey and (American) football, but I got really into soccer during the world cup this year and stayed that way through the end of the MLS season. I also follow baseball, but not as much recently because of how bad my Indians have been playing the last couple years.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »
Baseball is the only one I follow intensely all year long. GO RED SOX!

I enjoy some college football or hockey if I have nothing better to do.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:56:33 PM »
As a Canadian it is of no surprise that I watch hockey.  That used to be my favourite sport.  It makes sense.  The only major league team we have in Vancouver is the Canucks so the NHL is going to naturally attract attention.  There is a greater attraction to a sport if you have a local team to cheer for.

Though I have found over the years that football may actually interest me more.  I think the one-game-a-week schedule helps it feel more like a big event.  One thing that helped was understanding the rules and strategy.  If you don't get that you don't really get football.  Amusingly enough I figured out the nuances of football watching computer vs. computer games in Madden '94 for the Genesis.

I also like baseball.  I went with my Dad to Wrestlemania XIX which was held at Safeco Field in Seattle.  While we were waiting for the event to start we were looking over the stadium and figured that it would be pretty cool to check out a baseball game here.  So we did and we loved it and we make a trip to Seattle every year now to see a handful of Mariners games.  I don't watch baseball's regular season so much (it has so many games that it feels redundant; the exact opposite of the NFL's 16 game schedule) but love the playoffs.  I didn't watch much sports as a kid but I remember bonding with my Dad watching the Blue Jays win back-to-back World Series.

I'm starting to get into basketball.  Unlike the other three sports I actually played this as a kid.  I sucked at dribbling.  I don't know why but it has always been difficult for me.  I was a good defender though and had an accurate shot.  I played in elementary school and tried out for the team in grade 8 but didn't make it.  Later the coach came up to me and mentioned how one of the players was quiting the team and that I was the best of the cut players and could join the team if I wanted to.  I figured I would be a bench player and knew that the guy beneath me REALLY wanted to be on the team, while I honestly didn't care that much, so I let him warm the bench instead of me.  In retrospect I regret doing that.  I did not have a good attitude about sports as a kid.  I didn't like them, didn't like all the pressure and competition and as a result I didn't really try all that hard.  I joined teams more out of peer pressure and to please my parents.  As an adult I like sports and I have a lot more pride and determination in myself.  The Ian of today would have joined the team and worked his ass off to be the best player he could.  I remember playing in gym class and players from the team were shocked at how good I was at getting open and sinking baskets.  What sort of dipshit was I to not want to join the team when I obviously had enough skills to do so?  But then I don't really like a lot of things about who I was as a child or teenager.

A few years back I got a chance to play ice hockey for the first time.  That was something I had wanted to do for years so it was nice to get the opportunity.  So I now play with some co-workers.  The only problem is I'm really not very good due to inexperience.  Now at first about half of us couldn't play worth a **** but some of the guys have gotten REALLY serious about it and have taken power skating lessons and joined leagues.  They have invited experienced players to play with us.  The whole thing has gotten a lot more hardcore than I would have liked so I'm not as into it as I was.  The sad thing is we used to play street hockey after work all the time but we never do now because everyone just wants to play "real" hockey.  Anyway I've taken skating lessons now and I'm getting better but I'm still way behind the skill level of most of the guys, which makes it less fun.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:56:07 AM »
A few years back I got a chance to play ice hockey for the first time.  That was something I had wanted to do for years so it was nice to get the opportunity.
I assume you were too busy talking, typing on the internet at length and writing in your diary to goto a lake and skate around with a stick. God I've played Ice Hockey and I grew up in Busselton.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:15:20 AM »
MMA and (American) football. I'll admit it, I watch WWE too.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:36:31 AM »
Why are you trying to have a serious discussion in a spambot thread?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »
I like to play air hockey.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 04:28:52 AM »
Why are you trying to have a serious discussion in a spambot thread?
But he's a polite spam bot! He thanked Administrator for giving us the privilege of posting!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »
I assume you were too busy talking, typing on the internet at length and writing in your diary to goto a lake and skate around with a stick.

I live in Vancouver.  It is too warm here for the lakes to freeze.  You can't skate on water.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Wushu all the way! I remember as a kid my mom wanted me to be some basket ball/foot ball/base ball super star. All that did was push me away from those things. So when I saw Kilik in soul calibur 2 I knew what my physical destiny was. I like it cause I feel not everyone does it so I get a sense of uniqueness. All my friends in school were uber good at basketball and football, I lived in the hood where thats all everyone did until pokemon came out, so the competition was just too much for me.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
I would say it's Football because for most of my life that's what I played. I also try to keep track of the UEFA Champions league, the Portuguese league, and Portuguese players/coaches that are not playing/coaching in home soil.

I just started practicing kendo, but I cannot say for the moment that it is another sport I list as favorite because I have not yet reached the point where I get to practice with the bogu (it's the armor, to put it simple). Although I do like to practice the Kata with the bokuto.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »
My favorite sport is basketball, particularly NBA basketball (I never cared much for college basketball or the WNBA).  I know you're incredibly shocked, because I'm so subtle about it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 06:20:43 PM »
College basketball. NBA basketball during Playoffs.

Football. American Football.

Chess is my hands down favorite sport to play. Mostly because I can be in any sort of form (unlike football, my other much loved sport). Case in point, shot chess is a great way to pregame. If you have more than two people (which is always the case) pick sides and you drink when they drink.
black fairy tales are better at sports