Author Topic: Donkey Konga  (Read 8134 times)

Offline Pikkcuber

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Donkey Konga
« on: September 13, 2004, 03:16:51 PM »
I went to minneapolis this weekned and i went to the Mall of America.  And several stores had the new nintendo demos with pikmin2 paperMario2 and mario pinball land.  But when i went to a circuit city in North Saint Paul they had all those games and a Donkey Konga Demo.  This may not be the deepest game but playing donkey konga was a blast.  My reflexes suck and it was very difficult but i still had fun.  They had like 6 songs playable all the small things,wild thing,donkey konga theme,2 songs i havent heard of, and you cant hurry love (by the supremes, HAHA).  But i didnt get a chance to look at all the game modes, does anybody know them? How did you guys think of it?  Nintendo is really making it hard for us poor kids.  I dont know if i should get Donkey Konga Paper Mario 2 or Mario Tennis all three look great
PikkCuber

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Donkey Konga
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 03:46:29 PM »
There is only one mode, but 2 difficulty settings for Konga in the demo.  I have played it all to pieces in a couple locations around here.  I don't know when my wrists will go back to normal.  The angle that they have the Kongas set at on the kiosk is horrid.  They should have set them flat, it is so much more comfortable.  I played for a couple hours worth at E3 and had no problems.  Though after the same amount of time (1 hour, 2 days) at the kiosk, my wrists were very sore from being bent backwards playing.  

I can't wait to play it at home.  Then bout a week after it comes out I'm going to hang out with my old college buddies with the game.  Its gonna be a blast.  Mulitplayer is so much better I feel.  It actually feels like you are all making the song because there is so much going on on the screen on the higher difficulties.  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
RE:Donkey Konga
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 04:17:29 PM »
I had reservations until I tried out the demo, and now it's on my "get" list.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 03:08:16 AM »
Clapping is kind of embarassing in the middle of a store.  =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 07:19:32 AM »
Ahahaha, I felt the same way, Pale...I happened to "miss" most of the clapping sections of the songs I played during the demo... ^_^,
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 07:42:19 AM »
I don't know what draws more attention.  Me clapping or my brother yelling "DUDE YOU'RE CLAPPING TOO LOUD!"

"The angle that they have the Kongas set at on the kiosk is horrid."

No kidding.  I usually punch the Kongas the whole time because it's more natural.  From what I've played this game is a lot of fun but I don't think it's a "buy" for me.  I imagine that if I invited some friends over I would get all I wanted out of it in a weekend rental.  Of course that's assuming I can find a place that will rent this thing out.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 11:47:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Ahahaha, I felt the same way, Pale...I happened to "miss" most of the clapping sections of the songs I played during the demo... ^_^,

Tapping the side of the Kongas works just as well Bill without the embarrassment .  Leave the clapping to the kids who come up and you ask them if they want to play.  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 12:23:37 PM »
I had fun clapping out loud in the EB games even if everyone was staring at me and hey it brought attention to people lol. bottom line i had fun ALOT of fun. Hopefully Namco makes the Taiko Drum controllers not too expensive for Taiko Drum Master on the PS2.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 03:09:30 PM »
Well Berto i know how many modes were avaliable for the demo i wanted to know how many for the final game.  Yeah i felt kind of weird clapping at first but maybe thats what made it so fun.  Too bad an extra congo is 35 bucks (thats what it was on ebgames.com anyway) that might hurt my chance of getting it but it was very fun playing the demo i hope ninty throws more modes in there so i can play it for the long haul
PikkCuber

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 03:12:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Pikkcuber
Too bad an extra congo is 35 bucks

Actually, you can use the standard controller as well for multiplayer matches, though it wouldn't be the same...

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 04:27:33 PM »
I purchased the E3 DVD that IGN i selling, and it had a good review of the game.  When I first read about the game, I kinda though it sounded stupid, but after seeing the game in action, it looks like it could be very fun.  It has me intrigued to say the least.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 10:58:26 PM »
oh goodness don't even mention playing with the controller

*dies

Read my reviews
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 12:03:27 AM »
35 bucks is the same you pay for a standard controller and less than the cost of a wavebird. Where's the problem?

Offline RareWare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 07:29:20 PM »
I figure that a few of my friends are gonna get it and then we can just use our own set of drums.  

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 07:31:28 PM »
I have two druns, and will have my third very soon.  Thank you very much nintendo for releasing three copies of the game in a year.  Konami you are not.

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 06:30:18 PM »
I picked up this game recently.  Its pretty cool.  I am looking forward to some multiplayer action.  Its a tough game, when playing on chimp mode, some of the songs get going pretty fast, and when I screw up, its hard to get back on track.  People usually laugh when they first see you playing, but once they try it, they will be hooked.  
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 01:21:31 AM »
My (new) local Game Crazy is having a DK Tournament on the 30th.  I'm not entering (I suck badly), but my wife is - she rocks at this game...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 05:35:05 AM »
Hm, just noticed that (at least here) Donkey Konga w/Bongo is cheaper than an average GC game...

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 09:14:06 AM »
I was thinking that developers could try adding a DK Bongo mode. It plays just like Donkey Konga, but whats different are the songs and (of course) the bongo notes.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004, 07:39:47 AM »
How would they make a Bongo mode since the only notes you can do is left drum,right drum, both drums and clap.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2004, 06:41:36 PM »
there should be a mode where if you have more drums set up that one player could use them all.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2004, 04:47:12 PM »
I have enough trouble keeping up with one drum.......

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2004, 04:31:55 PM »
Did anyone else get an email survey from Nintendo today?  I think it has to do with whether or not you registerred Donkey Konga at their site.  The jist of it was basically whether or not i would buy a sequel with more songs in the next 3 to 6 months.  Could be news worthy guys cause it kind of shows that the sequel may still be up in the air for the states.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2004, 04:44:10 PM »
I also recieved this survey and I filled it out.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2004, 02:41:11 AM »
I got my Australian Version of Konga today
Gotta say all the songs are good except "busy child" and "the loco-motion"
will have to get use to it more, the expert stages are a bit hard for myself atm, dont see how reviews claim these are easy gosh, esp if your clapping.
I found tapping the side is easier but kinda ruins the whole point of the mic and the fun factor.
Kinda like the ppl who only use c-stick in melee...
kewl game
hopefully there is a add-on for australia, or atleast the pal one works with ours