Author Topic: Shrinkwrapped books at B&N  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Shrinkwrapped books at B&N
« on: September 11, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »
Happens at Border's, too.

So, explain this one to me. The following books were shrinkwrapped:

Batman: Mad Love (graphic novel)
The Dinosauria: 2nd Edition (science book)
Metroid Prime Trilogy player's guide (games)

But the following were NOT shrinkwrapped:

The Big Book of Breasts (photography)
Playboy: The Complete Centerfolds (photography)

How the frack does THAT work?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Shrinkwrapped books at B&N
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 05:11:52 PM »
People who read the first set of books are much more likely to flip through them in the store and then not buy the book.  People who read the second set aren't.

That, or someone beat you to it (pun intended) and already took off the shrink wrap from the second set of books.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
vudu said what I was going to say. B&N popularized the library trend in bookstores, where they encourage the customer to stay for hours and read the books there.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 11:56:29 PM »
Most of the books that I get that are shrink-wrapped, are special press (Gauntlet, Cemetery Dance), special or limited edition, and or signed by the author.  I mainly do my book shopping through B&N.com, and this is usually the case as well.  I've never gotten a normal edition shrink-wrapped, but not all the signed editions are shrink-wrapped either, Edward Lee's books for example aren't always wrapped, and sometimes when they are, they aren't signed editions at all, but most of them are, if they aren't mass-market.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?