Author Topic: VVVVVV Impressions  (Read 3593 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
VVVVVV Impressions
« on: December 15, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

Nicalis brings another excellent indie title to Nintendo platforms.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/28689

VVVVVV began life as a Flash game, which eventually made its way onto Steam, and will soon arrive on the 3DS eShop. The game is a Commodore 64-styled puzzle platformer with a gravity-flipping mechanic and brutal difficulty (the title can be thought of as representing a line of the game's ubiquitous spikes). Players control Captain Viridian who is searching for his missing crew. The game only uses the left and right directions and up and down to flip gravity.

VVVVVV's gameplay is simple, but distilled to near perfection, with each area offering new challenges. Some areas have players slingshot around with repeated gravity flips to avoid crashing into foreboding spike-filled caverns. Players can use the Circle Pad or the D-Pad, but I ended up switching to the D-Pad since the game requires precision platforming.

The game features an amazing Euro techno chiptune soundtrack, which really adds to the atmosphere of the game's almost barren environment (It's so good, I even bought the CD).

When it arrives, VVVVVV will easily be the most difficult game on the eShop due to its need for quick reflexes. To prevent discouraging players, the game is full of checkpoints, which encourage players to try sections of the game over and over. There is no other penalty for dying, though the game keeps track of the likely comical number of deaths you will accrue.

VVVVVV makes use of the 3DS features in two ways. Even though the game sports extremely retro C64-styled graphics, 3D has been added in the form of parallax backgrounds. Usually, I play games with the slider turned all the way up, but I wasn't able to do it here. The problem is that VVVVVV features brightly colored sprites on a predominantly black background, which produces ghosting due to the screen's imperfect parallax barrier. Since the level designs have not been changed, the top screen's full width isn't used. In any case, visuals were never VVVVVV's focus; it's the excellent gameplay that really matters.

VVVVVV also uses the touch screen to display the map and other informational screens that players would have had to pause the game to check in the PC version. It's a useful addition that can help you keep track of where you're going within the game's labyrinths.

The game also includes a bonus set of stages taken from the VVVVVV community and includes levels by designers such as Notch of Minecraft fame. Nicalis estimates that this additional content will add another five hours of gameplay. Players will also be able to download additional levels made using the PC version's recently released level designer.

VVVVVV arrives soon on 3DS, and I'm happy to be able to take it on the go. You can try out the demo here.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Re: VVVVVV Impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »
Looking forward to this...

And on a side note, I haven't played Cave Story yet. That and VVVVVV are close to the top of my 3DS download list. I hope some other retro-style indie game classics come to 3DS. I'd kill for Braid and Super Meat boy..

...but don't worry, I'm not so delusional as to actively hope for those. :)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:48:00 PM by Professor Clayton »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »
Braid is overrated, I am so glad I didn't pay for it (I won it as part of a contest Spike was doing for the Spike Video Game Awards a few years ago).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »
I just can't get into these super hard platformers that seem to be coming out of the indie scene.

Despite the near instant respawns I don't want to reverse gravity and dodge 15,000 spikes by placing my guy on the right pixel each time.  After playing the flash version the look got old fast for me as well.  I want different themed levels.  Even if the obstacles have the same function replacing spikes with lava or something different like most platformers do at least keeps my eyes from getting bored.  I understand that the graphics of this game don't allow for many changes but do they change the spikes into laser walls or something later?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure the spikes always stay spikes, but the backgrounds, music, and colors change.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Massimo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
Props to Nicalis for publishing two cool games like VVVVVV and Night Sky on the e-shop. I hope they'll keep bringing  over cool indie games from Steam! The 3ds needs that.

Offline Massimo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
And about VVVVVV... I played it on Steam, this game is awesome!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:43:58 PM »
I be very disappointed if this game didn't poke fun at itself by putting in a line somewhere that mentions a level is new and improved.  Just look at those Green instead of red spikes.

I've heard this game is great so I'll be getting it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 04:38:15 PM »
This game is one of my favorite PC games in recent memory (basically it, Civ V and Super Meat Boy). I can't wait to have it available on the go.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »
VVVVVV and others AND their soundtracks were added to the Humble Indie Bundle 4, if you pay more than the average (well worth it!)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:16:38 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka