Author Topic: First Switch Game To Play Only Out Of Dock Revealed As "VOEZ"  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
First Switch Game To Play Only Out Of Dock Revealed As "VOEZ"
« on: February 27, 2017, 01:46:37 AM »

Interested parties should look into Japanese eShop accounts.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/44154/first-switch-game-to-play-only-out-of-dock-revealed-as-voez

The Switch launch in Japan will feature the first Switch game that cannot play on a TV.

VOEZ, a port of a mobile rhythm title, will be available in the Japanese eShop on March 3; other shop releases have not been announced. A touch-based rhythm game with over 1200 songs, the game will only play in portable or tabletop modes.

A trailer below confirms the Japanese release date:

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: First Switch Game To Play Only Out Of Dock Revealed As \
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:57:18 AM »
So this means there will be games that only play on the TV, maybe hoping to take advantage of the different clock speeds on the GPU when docked.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: First Switch Game To Play Only Out Of Dock Revealed As
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
So this means there will be games that only play on the TV, maybe hoping to take advantage of the different clock speeds on the GPU when docked.

I wouldn't make that assumption, and I really hope not.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »

Why not? If Nintendo is allowing developers the freedom to make a game that can't play while docked, they can't really restrict devs who want to do something the other way around.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »

Why not? If Nintendo is allowing developers the freedom to make a game that can't play while docked, they can't really restrict devs who want to do something the other way around.

Well first of all, this is Nintendo we're talking about here. Being contradictory like that is almost to be expected from them. Secondly, there's a lot less reason to want to make something that only works docked than only works in handheld mode. Also, it's easier to justify from a marketing perspective; one of the big hooks of the system is that it's a console you can take anywhere, and if you start to make exceptions to that you lose that hook.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 11:02:24 AM »
Secondly, there's a lot less reason to want to make something that only works docked than only works in handheld mode.

I just gave a reason in my first reply. Other reasons could be online only games and ports of games that can only run stable on docked mode.

one of the big hooks of the system is that it's a console you can take anywhere, and if you start to make exceptions to that you lose that hook.

The console will have an exception to that hook on Day 1.

Agree to disagree, but Nintendo can't really say no to a developer that says "we want to make a game for Switch but it can only work in docked mode."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
Secondly, there's a lot less reason to want to make something that only works docked than only works in handheld mode.

I just gave a reason in my first reply. Other reasons could be online only games and ports of games that can only run stable on docked mode.

Is there any indication that there's a substantial difference in possible power with the dock beyond what's necessary to output at a higher resolution? Online-only's not a problem, as you yourself have lamented the system doesn't include a wired networking option, it's wi-fi only.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
Is there any indication that there's a substantial difference in possible power with the dock beyond what's necessary to output at a higher resolution? Online-only's not a problem, as you yourself have lamented the system doesn't include a wired networking option, it's wi-fi only.

We basically know what sources have told Eurogamer right now.

The system might not have a wired networking option, but the dock in conjunction with a LAN adapter does give it one when docked.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
But then, how could a game require a LAN connection?  Surely, games would work better with one, but could the software be set to know when there is and isn't a LAN adapter plugged into the console?  Or would it only know if there's internet access?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »
They could probably come up with alternate control schemes when docked, even if they're not as good. I guess they don't want to confuse people by allowing them to play docked but recommending undocked.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
You can play games undocked. But not games Docked only, because if something happens to your dock then you can't play those games.  That is why I don't see that being something promoted or done.

Also the same reason why I think it is more likely to have a Switch upgrade then a dock upgrade.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 06:38:45 PM »
I hope this doesnt become a regular thing. All games should work in both. One of the problems with the Wii U was how not all games worked in off TV mode.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 10:28:29 PM »
This confirms one of my fears: assuming the rumors are true and a mainline Pokemon game appears on Switch, it will only play in undocked mode because of game mechanics and other totally made up reasons.