Author Topic: Thinking about getting an XBox  (Read 7806 times)

Offline telaris

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Thinking about getting an XBox
« on: February 23, 2003, 02:22:21 PM »
I played Halo for the first time this weekend, and I don't think I can live without it. I've never had 2 different next-gen consoles at once because my budget couldn't stretch that far. My wallet has $300 in it from saving up over the years so this time I would have enough. But I'm 15 w/out a job and I think id like to have a car by next school year. So would you older peeps out there say 300$ is alot of money towards a nice used car? Or could I get that much money back in a few weeks if I get a job (I plan on getting one this summer)? But damn Halo is awesome. Tell me if you have both a GC and an XBox

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 02:26:27 PM »
If you have a friend that has Halo i'd just go to his house all the time.

That's what i do if i want to play nba live or vice city.

But you could get another console doesn'y matter.  I have xbox and GameCube.  I just rarely want to or have time to play videogames a lot.

I'm saving up for a summer game.  yeah get it for the summer.
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 03:37:46 PM »
Try playing Battlefield 1942 on PC.  You will quickly forget about Halo.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline GanonSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 03:52:24 PM »
Right on Ninja. Once you buy Halo the new wares off and you see just how generic the game is. BTW, Battlefield owns. Getting another system is always a good idea. Just make sure you have enough left to get Zelda or any other games you want left over.

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 04:18:18 PM »
I say, wait a little longer to see if the desire for Halo wears off some.  If you still feel the same way in a few weeks then get it, but make sure there are other games you want for it too.  Either way, you need a summer job to be able to afford more games and the eventual car.

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 04:59:05 PM »
if it's going to mean saving up even longer for a car, then don't bother. you can always keep playing it at your friend's house, or wherever it was you played Halo for the first time.

besides, Halo 2 is coming out soon enough
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 05:01:00 PM »
Let's try to keep this about him leaning towards buying an xbox or a car rather than you guys and your issues with the game Halo.
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 07:56:59 PM »
Forgot to mention.  Halo is coming out for PC this summer.  How much you want to bet it will be a good 10X better than the Xbox version?

I am actually not that interested in it though.  I won't be getting a copy anymore than I will be buying GTA Vice City when it comes out for PC.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2003, 05:37:50 AM »

Originally posted by: telaris
I played Halo for the first time this weekend, and I don't think I can live without it. I've never had 2 different next-gen consoles at once because my budget couldn't stretch that far. My wallet has $300 in it from saving up over the years so this time I would have enough. But I'm 15 w/out a job and I think id like to have a car by next school year. So would you older peeps out there say 300$ is alot of money towards a nice used car?

Buy Halo for the PC for $50 and save yourself some money.

CAR: The car is cheap.  It's the $1500 a year insurance bills that kill you.  For that reason, I didn't get my first car until I needed it (age 18...driving to college).

JOB: You only get ~$100 a week at your age.  That may sound like a lot to you, but it really isn't.  College grads can get ~$1000 a week...

Offline spartus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2003, 08:13:54 AM »
Wait. Halo 2 is due out 3rd/4th quarter this year. Halo is hitting the computer/mac this summer. There's the point of other games. You just don't get a system for *one* game. You gotta look into other games. The the price drop rumors, which would "come" in May. Just wait.

Originally posted by: theaveng

JOB: You only get ~$100 a week at your age.  That may sound like a lot to you, but it really isn't.  College grads can get ~$1000 a week...

Ha! When I was 15 I was pulling $240 (after taxes) a week/13 hours. I am 18 now and I get $1,324.23 (after taxes) a week/42 hours and I just started college this past January. Did you pull those number's out of your ass?
My systems: Jaguar/Jaguar CD, Saturn, 3DO, N64, Dreamcast, Genesis, NES, SNES, GameCube, PS2, Xbox.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2003, 05:50:11 AM »
Spartus: You are extremely well-paid.
If Halo makes it to PC as everyone is claiming, then obviously you can save a lot of money by buying it there.
If you really feel you need an Xbox, why not buy it secondhand?  You could probably save at least $100.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline telaris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2003, 03:51:48 PM »
Thanks alot for the input guys. Although now I'm really undecided Halo is really the only game I'd get for XBox, except maybe Panzer Dragoon Orta. Arg, I didn't know it'd be out for PC either. That would save me 200$. But the XBox version would have multiplayer. I don't think Halo's effect has worn off either, I've downloaded 3 movies of Halo off Kazaa (One with some sweet Warthog jumps; A couple others with just in game footage); I've been going to bungie.net checking out as much info as possible and reading reviews of Halo just from random websites. And the place I played Halo at really wasn't my friend I just went over with a bunch of my friends and that was all we did. So I wouldnt be able to go over there too often. ( I don't even like the kid, honestly. He's kind of a moron.)

Although, now the money for a new system isn't a big issue anymore, its my parents. Particularly because of my low grade in Math (D). God, my math teacher sucks. Anyone have those kind of teachers that overload you with information then when you ask a question about a problem, they sort of scowl at you and don't finish working out the problem you asked them to do? Blah, so yeah, my parents are kind of upset about that. Naturally they blame it on video games (Since i play them quite a bit) and obviously they don't want my main concern being buying another system.

So to sum this all up,

Math is hard and School sucks!
BTW Thanks alot for all the replies peeps

/telaris

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2003, 04:28:59 PM »

Originally posted by: telaris
But the XBox version would have multiplayer.

Eh?  now that's a leap of logic I just don't get.  Why wouldn't the PC have multiplayer?    I am pretty sure that both the controls and multiplayer will totally waste the Xbox version.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2003, 05:12:37 PM »
Why not wait until Halo 2 comes out, so you at least have 2 games to pick up for the system.  Nothing like a $250 video game...

But you'll need quite a bit more money for a nice car.  I had an '86 honda civic hatchback in high school that cost $900, and besides having a screwy carburetor and a tendency to burn through oil, as well as having to replace the brake fluid every 1000-2000 miles or so, it was a nice car.  Worked rather well with some fidgeting until the timing belt busted, rendering the car completely useless.  But $1000 is sort of the minimum for a junker that runs decently.  If you want things like seats that don't smell like ass, or something you can park in most parking spots, it'll probably go up to about $1500.  And if you want a car that'll last until you're out of college, well, you may not want to buy one until you're 18 or so

I'd say go ahead and buy the PC version.  It won't have multiplayer on the same computer, but it'll certainly have online play, and that'll make the game fun.  Or if you're just concerned with multiplayer on your home console with friends, well, TS2 is an amazingly fun FPS for multiplayer.  It's not as involved as halo nor is the story mode very great, but it's great for multiplayer.  A friend of mine who's roommate has an Xbox says that the multi for TS2 kicks ass.  Except for co-op, which is good for Halo (again, cos of the story mode).

Offline dumdum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2003, 05:29:25 PM »
I alreay have xbox and a gamecube so im not biased.

I suggest that you wait after E3. supposedly they are going to have a smaller xbox and also a pricedrop. Youll be beating yourself if you get the big one and then like a month later the little one comes out even cheaper. And yes xbox is worth the purchase. Now if you're into rpgs you might be better off with the PS2. Xbox tends to have action games. And then it aslo has the games wich gamers just LOVE. Gunvalkyrie, enclave, Dead to right, Splinter cell, Panzer dragoon orta, Shenmue, Morrowind, RARE, and it would also give you a bigger library of games. And if you have broadband you HAVE TO get an xbox. Especially with Capcom vs SNK out and Return to castle wolfeintein on the horizon. And halo 2 and true fantasy live ready for this xmas season. And on top of that all the sports games.

And about halo: if you are going to buy the box JUST becuase of this, then dont, but if you wanna go online or there are some interesting games on it then go for it. And no Halo on the PC will NOT support online play. how do i know this, cuz everyone at the the xbox forum would have alredy made 100 threads about that. And no it will NOT be better looking on the PC either. Maybe resolution but thats it. And if you alredy have friends who have halo on the box, then go ahead and get it. Theres nothing that beats a lan party on a friday night with pizza and orange juice( i hate soda) along with all your friends cursing at the top of their lungs cuz you sniped them from all the way across the stage.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2003, 05:59:51 PM »
I also have a gc and xbox.
I really enjoy my Xbox.  I love JSRF.  I love Halo.  I love DOA:3....a WHOLE REAL BIG LOT.  I love Splinter Cell.  I love MechAssault.  I love Oddworld.  
I can't wait for fable, true fantasy online.  I think, if you have the funds it is worth it definetly.  Definetly very fun.  An Xbox live is just great fun.  It is worth it.  As long as you have GC, then you are free to roam the market, cause it allready says you are a well balanced gamer.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no