Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 366012 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Official NFL Discussion: OK, Now You Can Count Out Touchdown Tom
« Reply #1100 on: January 07, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »
Parkey is getting roasted for what ended up being a tipped field goal kick while he produced half the team's total points and the Bears offense was completely anemic for half the game.  Nagy decides to call screens and forget completely about their best RB for the majority of the game, runs offense overly conservative until he decides to get cute with a 2 point conversion for the one touchdown they actually land.

The "this is all the kicker's fault" is a little tired.  Bears season was better than most I know expected, but we weren't Superbowl bound with the weak points we still have lingering.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 07, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »
I’m not a football fan in the least. I was just hanging out with a friend for the Eagles/Bears game. The last few minutes were so heartwrenching even I was getting into it.

When the Eagles won last year, my employer gave us three free lunches and 4 hours of PTO so naturally, I’m all, “Go Eagles!â€

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 20, 2019, 06:27:04 PM »
LA Rams headed to the Superbowl

that's part 1 of a 2 part plan. (California Love!!!)

Now I just need the KC Chiefs to knock Brady and the Pats the F out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 20, 2019, 10:08:22 PM »
NFC Championship game goes into OT
AFC Championship game goes into OT

first time that has happened in NFL History.

I was watching the scores on ESPN.com for both games till very near the end.
Once I tune into the actual game both the Rams and the Chiefs make a game tying drive to force OT.

Rams secure the win.... Will the Chiefs do it too?

edit: .....:/
not looking too good.

welp, 1 out of 2. not bad.
Rams need to handle business in 2 weeks.
I believe the last time the Rams were in the Superbowl, it was against Patriots.
Don't know if Brady was QB then... but Patriots won. so REVENGE GAME!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:19:08 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 21, 2019, 12:02:42 AM »
I hate the Patriots so much.  I am so damn sick of seeing those jackasses in the Superbowl.  And the Red Sox won the World Series, too!  Aren't we all sick of Boston sports fans winning?!

And it's pretty much all Dee Ford's fault.  The Chiefs had a game clinching interception at the end of the game and it was called back because Ford lined up offside.  He didn't jump the snap he LINED UP offside like some Pop Warner kid that can't follow simple instructions!  I just knew it was over the second that happened!

The only upside is that the Superbowl is always more fun if I have a rooting interest in the game and cheering against the Pats fits the bill.  GO RAMS!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1105 on: January 21, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
My Saints were robbed by that no call towards the end of regulation, but the play calling at the end of the game was subpar.  I dunno what was going on, but the team never recovered after the call.  The fluke interception was also terrible. :(
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Official NFL Discussion: F**k Everything, Nation Declares
« Reply #1106 on: February 03, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 03, 2019, 11:47:53 PM »
For reals. "That **** was WHACK"

Good for Brady. He earned his Championship Glove to put his 6 rings in.
You've done it Brady. Congrats.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 04, 2019, 12:26:54 AM »
Wow, that was some boring ass ****.  Somehow I have a feeling that the New Orleans offense would actually have shown up to play in the biggest game of their lives.  If I read a headline tomorrow that Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh beat up Jared Goff in the locker room after the game I'd believe it.

I didn't like the halftime show either but I don't like the type of music that was played so I feel like I can't judge it properly.  I think I would notice if Maroon 5 played really poorly like hitting bum notes or if the singer fell off the stage or something but I can't say if they performed their songs well in the eyes of their target audience or not.  I was bored out of my mind but I would have been if you played me the studio recordings of those songs.

What bugs me the most is that everyone went nuts for the crazy offense in the Rams/Chiefs games earlier in the season and not only did we not get that at all in the Superbowl but I missed that game because it fell on the same night as my friend's birthday.  My hope was to see the rematch in the Superbowl but the Chiefs blew it and then the Rams showed none of that firepower tonight.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 04, 2019, 01:00:31 AM »
It was bad game. I hear that even most of the commercials were pretty bad too.

edit: LMAO

there were 2 T-Mobile ads that I think were pretty good (T-Mobile Tuesday texting ads)
but I apparently missed the majority of them, so why don't we not bother talking about this terrible Superbowl and instead post some of the better, funny and/or unexpected ads that played during the "game".

Bud Knight x GoT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=94&v=8fhOItB0zUM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=94&v=8fhOItB0zUM[/youtube]

edit2: How about Dietz Nuts (pronounced Deets Nuts)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=_jG_MPbyPIo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=_jG_MPbyPIo[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:21:54 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: February 04, 2019, 08:54:31 AM »
Really was an awful, awful game.  Rams D did what they needed to in stifling the Patriots to only one touchdown, but in general this was one of the worse performances I've seen a Patriots offense deliver.  Goff was miserable - the oline for the most part gave him a lot of time to throw when needed, and Gurley was almost nowhere to be found in the run. 

I really didn't find much of the ads to be good, a few of the tmobile ones were fine, pretty much all of the other ads were "hey, look at this star we got in our ad", and while I understand that's always somewhat the case in Super bowl ads, they usually at least make an attempt to be funny.

Anyone else see how part of the internet melted down over the halftime show?  I guess there was a petition to have the bands perform a song from Spongebob Squarepants, and they put a small clip from the show in and that's it.  Makes you wonder who thought that would do anything other than anger the internet hive and confuse anyone not aware of it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1111 on: February 04, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »
I didn't like the halftime show either but I don't like the type of music that was played so I feel like I can't judge it properly.  I think I would notice if Maroon 5 played really poorly like hitting bum notes or if the singer fell off the stage or something but I can't say if they performed their songs well in the eyes of their target audience or not.  I was bored out of my mind but I would have been if you played me the studio recordings of those songs.

I like Maroon 5, especially the album from which most of their songs came from, and the performance was lack luster.  I've even seen them live before, and it wasn't their best.  Don't know what it was.

The Edleman MVP baffled me when they only scored 13 points.  Would've liked to see someone on that defense that held the opponent to 3 pts and almost(?) no first half first downs.

My Saints would've done better than 3 points.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 04, 2019, 12:16:47 PM »
For the ads I remember the one with the Dude in it (with a cameo by the Most Interesting Man in the World!  That was the more impressive part to me!) and there was an elevator one with Jason Bateman that was pretty funny.  There's a real trend towards commercials being super serious about togetherness or social justice or whatever feel-goody nonsense the company wants to take credit for while trying to sell you bullshit you don't need and those are a chore to sit through and there was at least one in every ad break this year.  I'm also not at all hip so if an under-25 celebrity shows up in an ad and I'm supposed to know who they are I... don't know who they are.  In fact I'll be unsure if the person in the ad is a celebrity or just an actor for the ad.

I was actually surprised how many ads were run for CBS's own shows.  I associate networks filling commercial time with their own ads to be a sign that they're having problems selling the ad space (Canadian stations tends to have way more of this than American ones) but this is the Superbowl.  Surely CBS could sell the spot and does it make sense to shill Young Sheldon in a space where they could make millions by running someone else's ad?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 04, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »
The Jason Bateman elevator commercial was pretty funny. I need to find that one.

As far as CBS filling all the empty commercial slots, then some people wised up. What was even the ratings of the Superbowl this year? I figure it must've tapered off somewhere in the middle for a low right before the end.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 04, 2019, 10:26:40 PM »
Looks like people wanna watch the Hawks in the Super Bowl, but not the Patriots. The Patriots have been in literally half of the Super Bowls from the past 18 years, they've won 33.33333% of the Super Bowls from the past 18 years. Of course ratings will be down, they have a 66.66667% chance of winning when they're in it. They have 1:3 odds of winning the Super Bowl *before the season even starts* - now this doesn't mean jack **** in the end, there's nothing you can do (conspiracy theories aside), it's gonna be team A vs team B in the end.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 05, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »
You also had the Rams, who screwed over the city it had resided in for the last two decades with its exit.  If i've learned anything, the fandom of most football organizations is something that's often inherited and passed down in the household. 

So you had one team whose been so dominant in the league that these wins must be feeling rote at this point, and one team whose Midwest fandom has moved their fandom likely to the Packers and whose new home they haven't gotten any real roots in yet (yes, I know the rams were originally in St. Louis, but it's been a while).

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 05, 2019, 12:30:45 PM »
Low ratings make sense.  The Patriots are at the point like the New York Yankees where you're either a Patriots fan or you HATE the Patriots.  If your favourite team has been good at any point in the 21st century odds are you have had to cross paths with the Pats.  I read something yesterday that aside from the Seahawks the last 8 Superbowl winners were either the Patriots or a team that had to beat the Patriots in the playoffs along the way.  And of course the Hawks lost to the Patriots the next year so Seattle fans like me have a personal stake in Patriots hatred as well.

Meanwhile the Rams were only in the Superbowl because of a blatant ref screw-up.  So for the vast majority of NFL fans this was the league's established supervillain against a team that did not deserve to be there and for which it would be a black mark on the league for them to have been champions.  And as lolmonade points out the Los Angeles Rams have virtually no established fanbase aside from maybe old-timers that were fans the first time they were located in LA and for some reason didn't find a new team to cheer for in the 20+ years in between.

Probably 90% of NFL fans didn't want either team to win.  So if there has been a skippable Superbowl of the past ten years, this was it.  I couldn't cheer for the Pats but I will say that at least the status quo of the league wasn't disrupted by the blown call against New Orleans.  This isn't a fanbase whose Superbowl win was always going to be tainted by "you only won because the refs screwed the Saints" because the Pats have enough in recent years that this just blobs in with the rest of them.  If the Chiefs had been in the Superbowl and won there still could have been accusations that since they didn't face the Saints they didn't truly deserve it or something like that.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 05, 2019, 10:26:24 PM »
Apparently that was just actual TV numbers. Streaming numbers were at an all time high.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1119 on: February 05, 2019, 11:21:47 PM »
That makes sense.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 06, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »
Apparently that was just actual TV numbers. Streaming numbers were at an all time high.

Not having a cable service, that's how I watched.  it helps that you could get a 7 day trial for CBS all access and watch it via that. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 12, 2019, 09:14:49 PM »
The Browns traded for Odell Beckham, Jr., and between that and all the players the Ravens and Steelers are losing they have to be considered favorites to win the AFC North this year. John Dorsey's done an amazing job of turning a team that was 0-16 when he took over into a real contender in a little over a year.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 22, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »
So I got together with the family on Easter and my Mom showed me a photo of her cousin's daughter's wedding.  The groom was this big muscular guy and I immediately thought "he looks like a football player".  Before I say anything she tells me he plays in the NFL.  We have this conversation:

Me: What?  Really?  What's his name?  What team does he play for?
Mom: I don't remember but they met in college.
Me: What college?
Mom: I don't remember.
Me: Well, what's the bride's name?  Maybe I can Google her and find some info about the wedding.
Mom: I don't know.

Eventually Mom went through her Christmas cards from last year and found a letter from her cousin announcing his daughter's then new engagement.  She is married to DeForest Buckner of the 49ers.  The college they met at is Oregon.  I didn't recognize the name but he was in the Pro Bowl last year and had 12 sacks!  Not too shaddy.  And sure enough when I did a Google image search I get an image of him plowing through the swiss cheese Seahawk O-line and sacking Russell Wilson.  Uh, yay, I guess?

So I've got a loose family connection to an NFL player.  He's my second cousin-in-law, I think.  This replaces my previous closest connection to a pro athlete where I went on a few dates with baseball player Russell Martin's cousin.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 22, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
And sure enough when I did a Google image search I get an image of him plowing through the swiss cheese Seahawk O-line and sacking Russell Wilson.  Uh, yay, I guess?

Don't get me started on the Seahawks offensive line. Russell Wilson should have left instead of taking Seattle's offer.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1124 on: April 23, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
I'm still angry the Rams only put up 3 points.