Author Topic: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?  (Read 509314 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?
« Reply #725 on: October 27, 2017, 02:08:13 AM »
SPAZ 2.

It's "Early access" but it was near feature complete at that point and most of the time was spent bug killing and multi platform development. It is .0001 away from 1.0. they basically used EA as a soft launch.

The first game had quite a few show stoppers which I help them fix but this time round I can't find any bugs period. It is an impressive feat and I have to give them a hand.

The game plays sort of like the first but now you are always playing a customisable clockwork scale ship and the old ships are now relegated as strike craft. Synergies are cool which less you boost performance of parts compared to having more parts.

The world is also a lot more persistent so no more trashing a system while moving to the next with a clean slate. Instead you rep can change galaxy wide or down to only the captain you attacked. One problem is that it is completely open ended so there isn't a real end game other than wiping out the zombies and conquering the galaxy.

The weapons are more balanced as it is much better to use a mix of weapons to target different forms of defence. Choosing which part to use other than what the weapon is important as the stat boost can be of greater value.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 27, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
I'm watching your Mario RPG play-through, and its actually really nice to hear your voice again. I really miss the pod-casting we used to do.

Me too! We were the best of pros who didn't get paid! The streaming has been fun! Getting me to play games a little more, too!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 12, 2017, 10:43:58 PM »
Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop) - They platforming physics are floaty, but work well enough and seem oddly fitting for the theme. Level design is bland and the difficulty is low. Collision detection is spotty - I fell through the floor of a level to my doom more than once, and had many other bugs where my character ended up somewhere he (or she?) shouldn't be.

But it's cute, and harmless, and short enough that you don't feel like the game is dragging too much.
Despite being a "not very good" game, I didn't hate playing it.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 14, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
I'm borrowing someone's 3DS to play Metroid Samus Returns... and instead took the liberty to install MyNintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess.

Welp, 17 HOURS later I've done every Picross, Mega Picross and even the final Micross puzzle in that. It's very simple, and reminds me of sudoku but easier to grasp. It's a free piece of software from MyNintendo (1000 platinum coins, which I racked up by checking Miiverse often, I assume?) but there's a lot of content here.

I suppose one might feel snooty about there being 'just 45' puzzle solutions which they recycle for the Mega Picross mode... But really, you don't play these games for the final picture. Found the whole experience very calming and incredibly addicting.

Not sure yet if I'm in the market for more Picross games now, because I could see this becoming a very dangerous new timesink. Also, I should be a good friend first and get back to Metroid so I can return the 3DS.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 15, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »
Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop)
This is incredibly shallow but I have avoided this game based on name. I don't like being reminded of paper cuts. I hate paper cuts.
Dumb, I know, but there it is. I feel similarly about games with "afterbirth" in their title. I've seen afterbirth. It's not pretty.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 15, 2017, 12:13:37 PM »
Dumb, I know, but there it is. I feel similarly about games with "afterbirth" in their title. I've seen afterbirth. It's not pretty.

Is "afterbirth" a common word in game titles?  I've seen "rebirth", which hints towards a game that has been remade or reborn, but don't really recall "afterbirth". 

Maybe Binding of Isaac used it, since that game takes a slightly gory approach?

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 15, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »

Is "afterbirth" a common word in game titles?  I've seen "rebirth", which hints towards a game that has been remade or reborn, but don't really recall "afterbirth". 

Maybe Binding of Isaac used it, since that game takes a slightly gory approach?
Yes, it's just Binding of Isaac.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 15, 2017, 02:16:41 PM »
But I'm sure if another game had that it in the title it would also generate the same response. Or would Kirby: Afterbirth of Dreamland actually intrigue more than repel?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 15, 2017, 04:05:13 PM »
Wasn't there a Kingdom Hearts release called Birth After Sleep?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 15, 2017, 04:10:34 PM »
Wasn't there a Kingdom Hearts release called Birth After Sleep?
It was titled "Birth By Sleep." I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #735 on: November 15, 2017, 07:35:44 PM »
When in doubt, assume worse with Kingdom Hearts.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 05, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »
The room Two (Steam):

The Room 1 really distinguished itself from other "escape the room" puzzle games with strong art-direction and rather high production for a mobile game. All the puzzles had physical quality to them -- open that hidden compartment -- get a key that fits into the keyhole on the other side of a box. Controls also contributed to physical nature of game's puzzles -- you needed to pull handles, open doors, turn levers and such with touch controls.

In the sequel, there are now many boxes instead of just one, there are several rooms with filled with knickknacks, mechanisms, levers, lenses and all kinds of machines.

PC ports of these game bring in higher fidelity (game looks notably better on big screen that on the screenshot above that i took from mobile version) and mouse controls that stand in for touch controls. There is at least one occasional where this is troublesome -- i couldn't open one door all the way because my mouse didn't register movement that wide that fast.

Neat puzzle game. Atmosphere and music get kinda spooky but not really, puzzles are intuitive enough, and game is nice looking. Recommended for 1-2$.

There is a third game on mobile but the studio said they won't start on PC port until 2018.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 11, 2017, 01:07:37 AM »
Assasin's Creed: Syndicate (PC):

Assassin's Creed series evolves in steps. Every other iteration tries some new crazy stuff, gameplay-wise or some new tech. In the fray some gameplay features get lost (unarmed combat, ability to pet animals or pick up enemy weapons), removed after bad reception (tower defense missions, co-op missions) or even spun off into completely separate game (ship battles), and new tech more often than not will be glitchy (ACIII) even if very impressive with what it does.

But the game right after that big experiment is usually good because teams at Ubisoft will have more time to self-reflect, collect feedback, cull and mix features into something better, even if it will be just a derivative compilation at it's core.

Rogue was just a cocktail of III and II instead of crazy tech piece of Unity released same year. Unity boasted insane thousand strong crowds, eye popping grafx and silky smooth 10 fps with constant hitching. Rogue did more of the same and was better for it.

Syndicate does the same for Unity -- it reigns in it's ambitions in terms of scope -- WAY less people on way narrower streets, removes stupid bullshit noone liked (co-op missions) and retains what good parts Unity had (detective missions).

Being largely a remix, Syndicate doesn't address Unity's biggest mistake which undermines the entire premise of a series -- red areas on the map which prohibit you from going there in the beginning: you can not go into 90% of the the map because enemies there will kill you in one hit if you as much as look at them. Same with locked areas and picklocks that prevent you from opening chests and collect all collectibles along the way in one go forcing to return to these areas after you leveled up. Syndicate at least reduces the harshness of red areas and caps picklock levels at 2 (instead of 4 i think in Unity) but the concept is still there and it's annoying. Through this leveling-up mechanics they want to string up your playthrough on a linear and controllable path and that point what is even the point of branding the game as "open world".

There are still new things compared to Unity. You can ride an assortment of vehicles namely: boats, trains and auto- carriages:

Jumping off a roof onto carriage's roof and hijacking it is really cool. Trains and boats are useful when you to cover ground without actually controlling the vehicle-- i turned eagle vision scanning mode on and got on trains and boats and then left the game running for 10 minutes at a time to find the last helix shards.

Speaking of 100% completion this game does does a dirty trick -- in-game maps only show you 99% of collectibles, location of last few shards and chests is only available on online UPlay store.

Detective missions are back from Unity and the while most of them aren't super engaging the ending to detective storyline is amazing. They very clearly "borrowed" a lot of stuff from BBC's Sherlock show with presentation and the style of villain:

Syndicate also has a rope. It is a better version of a hook from Revelations semi-automating the climbing process and with it you can go from roof to roof almost like Spider-man:

London in this game is architecturally the same as Paris, aside from main landmarks the buildings are the same. Level of detalisation in environment and animations is also very high but this time it doesn't reduce the game into a hitching mess:

Game has a lot flavour behaviours like people just playing games in the park, orchestra giving a performance. You can catch a glimpse of daily life in rougher parts of the city like bandits catching a thief and roughing him up or a woman who recruits a boy to be her pretend son for begging.

Story is structured in chapters, punctuated by assasinations. Each kill is like a Hitman level  -- they even use the same term "opportunity" (again this is exactly the same as in Unity):

Of two characters available i mostly used Evie simply because she is prettier and has really neat costumes. However Jacob's deerstalker is good because of it's wider eagle vision scanning radius and i used it for later parts where i scoured all over the city looking for the last remaining collectibles.

Overall, Syndicate is a really solid game that removes most of the annoyances of Unity. It is a ACII-type game where you are in one big city (no islands, no jungles, no naval stuff). You climb buildings, open chests and jump into haystacks -- all too familiar, almost nostalgic routine improved with addition of a rope. If you like this stuff -- you will enjoy it.

Also for crazy people who want 100% completion Syndicate like most modern AC games has rather lenient full sync requirements. Thank god for that. No more missions of ACII Brotherhood that were impossible to full sync.

Assasin's Creed: Syndicate. Jack the Ripper DLC (PC):
This DLC features Jacob and Evie vs titular serial killer. Not quite sure why but this DLC looks a bit better for me: maybe it's colder palette of Fall or they actually improved textures and lightning:

I enjoyed new locations they added for this DLC:

Story was okay and actual historical texts about Jack The Ripper case were cool.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:58 PM »
Can't help but smile at that "buy the shard location from our store if you wanna finish it 100%!" gimmick. Surely people are just going to instantly post the location to gamefaqs? Does it change for every player or something?

I've still not played one of those games, despite having owned the fourth one (Black Flag, the one about pirates) for well over a year now... Should get on that at some point.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 13, 2017, 10:20:40 PM »
Can't help but smile at that "buy the shard location from our store if you wanna finish it 100%!" gimmick. Surely people are just going to instantly post the location to gamefaqs?
Do you really think Ubisoft are that stupid in their sinisterity?

Does it change for every player or something?
Of course it does.

They are still present and visible in actual world, though can be easily lost visually in a busy urban environment.

Mine last helix glitch was right on one the fast travel points (specifically the one i never had any need to teleport to). For all i know it might have actually been marked on the map but i couldn't see it because it overlapped with fast travel icon.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 19, 2017, 07:50:50 AM »
Hahaha!  Mastering the ruins of La-Mulana EX (PSN)?  Done!

I know many people won't enjoy this game. That's ok.
It has some frustrating design choices, to be sure. But the exploration is interesting, most of the puzzles are hinted at well enough to be solvable (which seems improved in EX version compared to the WiiWare release), and progressing in the game feels very rewarding.

Very pleased to have finished the game. If not for the RFN retroactive, it probably wouldnt have happened... so I'm very glad the ballot box got rocked by ClexYoshi.   ;)

The big question now: where to go now? This is like a major gaming achievement from here, so moving on feels weird. I'll probably go back to Ys: Memories of Celceta (PS Vita), but it would be nice to find a short game in my collection that could be finished before the end of the year.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:53:02 AM by ejamer »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 21, 2017, 02:35:12 AM »
Here's some thoughts on a few titles:

Thimbleweed Park (PC):

I play a lot of adventure games and I rarely comment on them because it's kind of a disease and also few new ones are actually good. I finally bit the bullet on this, and spent a lot of the run time frustrated. It's actually a full-length game, which is rare in this genre at this point, but it's also a sloppy blast of a huge amount of locations, items, and playable characters, with verb commands on top. So it kind of exacerbates the annoying elements of some older titles, where there's a dozen threads going on that you get the gist of but don't know what to tug on to loosen the knot, leading to lots of wandering around trying to keep everything in memory while making jerky, unconnected pieces of progress.

I looked up three solutions, one of which I thought I'd tried, one of which I thought was bullshit, and one of which had me punching my knee. Based on my experience I'd rate this as pretty average. It's overall fairly easy and straightforward, but punctuated with aggravating bottlenecks.

But I even write this up because the very end of the game crosses into intriguing territory, and made me wish the game had done more to pay off it's seemingly played-out winky adventure game reference stuff. Making a softer Maniac Mansion wasn't nearly as interesting as what they could have done on both a story/aesthetic and gameplay level.

A Hat in Time (PC):

Saw this get a lot of pretty positive reviews, but this felt to me like an ambitious student thesis. A few interesting ideas here and there, mostly a clumsy jumble of Psychonauts and crummy PS1 3d platformers. Special shout out to excruciatingly elongated boss battles.

Steamworld Dig 2 (PC):

Got this out of console-less desperation, but it's definitely better than the first game. I did find that the first game's hollow progression recurred by the final stretch, and weirdly incorporated the challenge rooms that initially felt like a big improvement to variety and challenge.

Evil Within 2 (PC):

Didn't play the first one, but thought it sounded bad. After an annoyingly long on-rails "story" intro, I actually got really into this game and spent a good six hours making runs in the first big town area. I find the concept and aesthetics and all to not be scary at all, but there was still fun tension in the initial disempowerment and effectiveness of stealth. I ended up bulking up on upgrades from combing this area, and the rest of the game became kind of a walk in the park on the normal difficulty, and also the semi-open design massively petered off in favor of lots of scripty, mostly linear stuff that partially discarded the first third of the game. Weird and deflating, but overall passable on generic video game terms.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 29, 2017, 07:58:49 AM »
Lords of Thunder (Wii U)

Enjoyed it a great deal, and will be replaying because I had to abuse save states a little bit to actually get to the ending. Do I feel bad about "beating" the game this way? Hell, no. Lords of Thunder is incredibly punitive at times, and getting through the final level would have been far too time-consuming otherwise. Do I enjoy the game any less, due to those facts? Hell, no. Very fun little shmup with a ton of charm.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 30, 2017, 08:39:30 AM »
Lords of Thunder (Wii U)

Ooooooh I missed the news this came to virtual console, always wanted to give it a shot.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 30, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
Lords of Thunder (Wii U)

Ooooooh I missed the news this came to virtual console, always wanted to give it a shot.

I think it's worth playing. Feels pretty unique. The first stage is pretty easy, letting you build up credits to upgrade your health/armor, and then you get to pick your destination and type of weapon to use afterwards... so even though it's pretty difficult, you don't get sick and tired of the game easily.

As mentioned above, I did end up using save states to make the experience a bit easier and more enjoyable for me - but only really abused them with mid-level saves during the final level.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 31, 2017, 02:13:10 AM »
Lords of Thunder is easily one of my favorite shmup.  Unlike many where it's pretty typical space themed, Lords of Thunder has a very unique late 80/early 90's anime metal fantasy theme going on.  This leads to a lot more unique level design compared to other shmups as well.  Plus since you're controlling a person instead of a ship you have a sword slash that does more damage when close to enemies which gives players a lot more options then other games in this genre provide.

Oh and the soundtrack is just incredible.  Unlike your typical game music from this era, Lords of Thunder actually has full 3-4 minute long tracks that are actually longer then the stages on Normal mode.  You have to play on the higher difficulties to hear the full versions of the songs, since the levels scroll slower on them to provide more enemies in them.

As mentioned above, I did end up using save states to make the experience a bit easier and more enjoyable for me - but only really abused them with mid-level saves during the final level.

Yeah that final stage is pretty crazy.  I've don't use save states myself but even when I go in with all my weapons and energy maxed out, with a shield and revive potion I usually end up down to the last of my health by the end of it.  Of course that's the other things I love about Lords of Thunder, they really reward players for getting good at the early levels so they have a shot at the later ones.  So many shmups can completely screw you over in the final levels over just a simple mistakes where if you play flawless throughout Lord of Thunder, you can save up so much money that one screwup won't destroy all your progress.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 31, 2017, 02:36:29 AM »
I basically only know Lords of Thunder from the guys on RFN making fun of it years and years ago, but you guys are making me want to actually pick it up. If it were on Switch I definitely would, but I'm not sure I'm interested enough to go back to the Wii U for it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 31, 2017, 10:44:10 AM »
I went back to play Soldier Blade (TG16) after spending quite a bit of time with Lords of Thunder.  Wow, that game feels like a piece of cake in comparison. I used to think that Soldier Blade was tough, but it feels so... simple in comparison.

It's funny how the high difficulty in Lords of Thunder doesn't really feel that bad though - giving a stage select option means you can go at it again and again without having to continually see the same levels, and encourages you to try using different weapons.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 31, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
I basically only know Lords of Thunder from the guys on RFN making fun of it years and years ago, but you guys are making me want to actually pick it up. If it were on Switch I definitely would, but I'm not sure I'm interested enough to go back to the Wii U for it.

Just listen to this music from the game and decide if you can wait a possible few more years to play this.

If your Wii U is still around I'd say it's worth it.  Of course watch as Nintendo announces the Virtual Console for Switch in the next few weeks right after you do it and this is one of the first games for it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:58:46 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 01, 2018, 10:18:52 PM »
I just beat Doom on the Switch. Very fun ride, the aggressive play type it encourages makes it feel so much different than the majority of FPS. It gets a lot of things right, notably the feel of the first game. The original Doom wasn't just about running around killing things, it was also about exploring, solving puzzles and finding goodies after you have killed all the enemies and this game remembers that.

It's not perfect, the game is probably about one level too long, and the kill rooms get ran into the ground, although I can see why they were there from a technical standpoint. Killing monsters though, it feels really really good.

9 out 10

- Worst enemy: The floating Cacodemon is a pain in the but, absorbs a lot of damage and shoots out a ton as well.
- Best Weapon: The Plasma Rifle is great, it pours out a ton of firepower and the lighted shots work as tracers. Equip the Heat Wave mod and buff it up for a great AoE weapon that takes care of the side enemies.
- Attribute upgrade path: Build your ammo capacity, then alternate it with health. Build up armor last.
- Second Best Weapon: the double barreled shotgun feels great and packs a wallop