Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 365923 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Official NFL Discussion: F**k Everything, Nation Declares
« Reply #1125 on: April 25, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »
Dave Gettleman is either insane or trying to get fired.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 20, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
AB dropped from 2 teams in less than 3 weeks into the season..... NFL career over?

this is amid multiple sexual abuse allegations.

Since he played for the Pats, how much do they still need to pay him?
and how does this affect your Fantasy League? LOL

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 22, 2019, 03:07:31 PM »
Apparently AB quit the NFL....  or they quit on him.

Either way, it looks like he had a melt-down on Twitter (most of the related tweets I saw have already been deleted).

So Is AB gonna star in the XFL? or will he be playing in Prison League?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1128 on: September 22, 2019, 08:24:00 PM »
I guess that depends on how his case goes.  That guy sure had one hell of a summer.

And I get the point he was trying to make, but most of the people he named piped down for a bit after their accusations.  They didn't go creating more public spectacle.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 12, 2020, 11:28:56 PM »
Around 3 minutes left.  Down by 4.  Defense can't get a stop to save their lives.  I say to my brother "this has got to be fourth down territory".  What happens?  Pete Carroll calls a punt and I say "well they just punted away the season" and sure enough the defense shits the bed like they have all game and the offense never touches the ball again.  Why on Earth do coaches do that?  How is willfully giving the ball to the other team when you need to score and you're running out of time the "safe" idea?  You figure a smart coach would notice that his defense has been having a hell of a time stopping an offense led by Aaron Rodgers and that the likelihood of them suddenly coming up big was pretty low.

Could be worse I suppose.  I could be a Vikings fan and watch my team punt away the ball multiple times in the fourth quarter to end the season.  At least the Seahawks season ended after the two minute warning and not with like five minutes still on the clock.

As much as I hate it I guess I'm pulling for the Niners, even though they're a division rival.  Why?  Because I determined that DeForest Buckner is my... second-cousin-once-removed-in-law.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 13, 2020, 12:18:40 AM »
Screw the exciting football games that were played today, everybody knows the real NFL news of the day: it's Kevin Stefanski time, baby! Cleveland for sure got it right this time, don't even bother playing the games and just give us the trophy now.

Seriously though, I'm fairly happy with this pick. He seems like a good fit with our front office structure, and he did a good job of building an offense around Kirk Cousins' strengths in Minnesota.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:23:24 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 03, 2020, 01:03:32 PM »
Well my second-cousin-once-removed-in-law lost the Super Bowl.  My Mom seemed legitimately upset about that but being a long time fan of football in general I was happy to see Andy Reid win a ring.  Reid is probably the second best coach of his era, behind Belichick of course, but has some notable playoff collapses and thus doesn't really get his due.  The sports world in general puts a little too much focus in team championship rings when evaluating individual success.  Now the narrative has changed for Andy Reid, likely to a more accurate one.

Meanwhile we can probably transfer the "good coach who turns into a moron when it matters most" title to Kyle Shanahan.  I couldn't coach a football team at any level but I'm familiar enough with football strategy to know that when you're ahead in the fourth quarter you RUN THE BALL, YOU STUPID RAT-FACED ASSHOLE!!!  Damn it, he cost the Atlanta Falcons a Super Bowl with that idiocy and now he's done it to the Niners as well!  I don't know how you can be a good enough coach to lead your team to the Super Bowl but be ignorant of such basic strategy, and to do it TWICE when every single reporter asked your ass about how passing when you're supposed to kill clock lost you a Super Bowl already.  You would assume he would be thinking "gee, I better not make that mistake again."  Is this a stubbornness thing?  Like he felt he needed to "prove" that passing in the fourth quarter can work so as to deflect blame for the Falcons loss?  "I didn't cost them a Super Bowl!  See I'll win a Super Bowl using the same strategy... D'oh!"

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1132 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:30 PM »
I'm also glad to see Andy Reid win one.  He blew it in Philly quite a few times (once in the big game), and KC was a much needed fresh start for him.  Also, the Honey Badger is officially a Super Bowl champion, so that's great too.

And Patrick Mahommes has successfully defeated the Madden Curse, so kudos to him.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Official NFL Discussion: Great Googly Moogly
« Reply #1133 on: February 03, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
So I suppose there's only one thing to change the thread title to.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 23, 2020, 05:58:48 PM »
Tonight is the first round of the NFL Draft. It's always a big deal, but figures to be especially big this year since it's the first live sporting event in over a month. All the team officials are working at home and communicating electronically, so there could be some really weird tech issues if things go wrong.

The sad news this afternoon is that Todd McShay, who works for ESPN and is one of the most prominent NFL Draft analysts out there, has come down with the coronavirus and won't be part of the coverage tonight for what's normally the biggest day of his year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1135 on: April 23, 2020, 06:51:52 PM »
So I suppose there's only one thing to change the thread title to.

Considering all the news out of Tampa Bay, the title still fits.

Tonight is the first round of the NFL Draft. It's always a big deal, but figures to be especially big this year since it's the first live sporting event in over a month. All the team officials are working at home and communicating electronically, so there could be some really weird tech issues if things go wrong.

The sad news this afternoon is that Todd McShay, who works for ESPN and is one of the most prominent NFL Draft analysts out there, has come down with the coronavirus and won't be part of the coverage tonight for what's normally the biggest day of his year.

Hope he recovers well.

The draft should be interesting.  There hasn't been as much trading/free agency moves so far, possibly due to the limited abilities of teams to do visits.  But I'm hoping for some last minute action.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 24, 2020, 12:33:12 AM »
Okay, let's see how the Seahawks did in round 1.  They picked Jordyn Brooks, a linebacker.  ESPN ranked him as 6 on their position rank.  He's the third LB taken.  Hmmmm.  He's ranked 92 overall which means he would be an expected late third rounder.  Oh and then in literally the next pick the number one ranked linebacker got picked.

Why on earth would you pick a guy predicted to be a third rounder in the first round?!  Unless ESPN's ranking is completely off the mark and numerous other teams also consider it off the mark there is no competition for someone like this in the first round, so wait for the second round!  Even if you've got some special intel that this guy is way better than everyone expects supposedly no one else expects that.  So take the projected third rounder in the second round and that's still a whole round early so you're almost guaranteed to get him.  It just doesn't make sense.  You don't trade up to get guys that no one else is going to draft that early and you don't draft guys multiple rounds earlier than expected.  That's bidding with yourself.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 24, 2020, 02:43:00 PM »
Looking further into it the logic that the Seattle GM explains is that first rounders aren't really first rounders for all 32 picks.  1-20 are first round level talent but 21-60 could all be considered second round level.  So if you're a playoff team picking late in the first round you essentially don't really have a first round pick and should take who you think is best of the second round level players.  The difference in the number 20 guy and the number 60 guy is minimal and the projected ranking is considerably less of an accurate predictor after the top 15 or so.

That explanation is pretty well thought out and explained and far better then dumb "we like his speed" caveman analysis you sometimes hear.  I'm not completely sold on it though since none of their first picks of the last four drafts have impressed me.  The strategy sounds logical but the results aren't panning out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 24, 2020, 03:29:37 PM »
If you think a guy is a lot better than the consensus on him seems to be you have to consider that at least 1 of the other 31 GMs might think so too. Waiting to draft a guy like that can be risky.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 07, 2020, 01:22:00 AM »
Ya'll see that Mahomes 10yr Extension worth $503M
(total of 12 year contract, as it included his 2yrs left)

INSANE!!!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: July 07, 2020, 02:21:11 AM »

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 07, 2020, 04:24:40 PM »
I've already heard some hot takes about what Dak is going to ask for in the aftermath of the Mahomes deal.  Well, Dak is hopefully going to tell his agent not to mention the Mahomes deal and make him look like a goddamn idiot.  I've heard talk about Watson's upcoming deal as well.

Patrick Mahomes is looking like he's on pace to be the greatest quarterback ever.  After only three seasons he has an MVP award and Superbowl win, with a Superbowl MVP as a cherry on top.  So this isn't in the discussion for comparing salaries to any other quarterback in the league, at least based on the current situation.  I always hate when players become the highest paid player ever when they're not even currently the best.  I think Matt Stafford was the highest paid player at one point which is ridiculous.  He is a good player and the Lions should have kept him but he's not even in the discussion for best active player of his position so he shouldn't get paid the most.  And any salary negotiation that brings this stuff up should take that into account.  "That guy's overpaid, you don't necessarily deserve the same salary for being as good as him."  In Mahomes case it's "he's the best in the world, you are maybe in the top five, but you're not at his level so you don't deserve more money than him."  But the agents for these players will probably ask for Mahomes money and some teams might cave because quarterbacks don't grow on trees so anyone that is at least good enough that their status as a starter is not questioned has the team over a barrel.  And I'm fine with this if the best quarterbacks get paid the most but it probably won't work like that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 11, 2020, 10:44:50 AM »
Football came back yesterday. KC Chiefs vs Texas Titans

Kansas City Chiefs had actual fans in the stands, 17,000 in attendance is what I read.
and according to reports (as I didn't watch), those fans started BOOOOOING during the Moment of Silence for Equality.  No fucking respect for the feelings of or the fact that people they are rooting for are actual fucking people with lives and families that are affected by real world bullshit off the field.

disgusting. especially coming from the stadium of the current defending champs.
not sure why there are actual fans there, but hopefully this is dealt with before the next live game w/ an audience.

and of course the fucking Chiefs win the game too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:48:03 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 11, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »
and here is a list of teams and their plans for fans in the stadium

I'd like to compare this to the current coronavirus case/death list to see who is being cautious vs greedy.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1144 on: September 14, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
Saints won without fans in the stands, which is the key component of the home field advantage.  I can only imagine how much impact a full crowd could've had on TB12 with his new team, but a full crowd would've meant a world with no COVID and therefore a pre-season for them to get it together.  So, who knows.  The offense looked sloppy at times, explosive at others, but what else is knew?  Glad Kamara got paid because he seems to be more motivated than ever.  The special teams was very impressive as well, which is always weird to point out aside from our punter (who is consistently excellent).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 18, 2020, 03:34:31 AM »
The Browns came into the season under new coach Kevin Stefanski with a promise of an offense built around a strong running game that sets up play-action passing, and at least for one night, that's exactly what we got. The real stars of the night were Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt, who combined for over 200 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns, but the lasting storyline might be the fact that for once Baker Mayfield and Odell Beckham seemed to be in sync, connecting on a number of passes including a 43 yard touchdown. Now let's see if we can do that against somebody better than the Bengals.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 11, 2021, 12:19:31 AM »
The Browns get their first playoff win in 26 years, and their first win in Pittsburgh of any kind in over 17! Baker Mayfield leads a strong Browns offense while Ben Roethlisberger throws 4 interceptions in what may be his final game for the Steelers! I'm having an extremely good time tonight!

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 11, 2021, 12:31:25 PM »
Well my Seahawks played like garbage.  I think there was on good kick return that put them in position to get a touchdown but there was otherwise nothing to cheer.  This was against the Rams playing their back-up who got hurt and for some reason Goff, who had a broken thumb on his throwing hand, was the only other QB suited up and had to play.  You would assume that such circumstances would allow for an easy win but apparently not.  Early in the season Seattle was being talked up as Superbowl contenders and Wilson got MVP talk.  Something happened during the bye week because they have been terrible ever since.  Wilson went from MVP candidate to looking like someone that would have gotten benched if he didn't already have such a strong reputation.

On a side note, the Rams third QB is Blake Bortles.  How bad is Bortles that they didn't dress him despite Goff having had surgery on his thumb?  I assumed they dressed Goff to throw off the Seahawks so they wouldn't know who was starting until the last minute.  Wouldn't you dress three quarterbacks to accommodate the potential situation of the starter getting injured?  Even if you're willing to play Goff, wouldn't he be at a high risk to re-injure his thumb?  If that happened they would have had to snap to the running back or something.  They thought risking that and using a roster spot on an extra special teamer or whatever was preferable to Bortles playing, which I find hilarious.

I found myself enjoying the Browns game.  I don't particularly dislike the Steelers but for some reason I found a lot of enjoyment in seeing them fall behind early on.  I guess I can't help but like the underdog in games where I otherwise have no skin in the game.  I also was sympathetic to the Browns since their head coach was in quarantine and that would be a really lousy way for a season to end.  But when Pittsburgh started crawling back and actually got it close enough that they could have come back I couldn't help but think of the possibility of the Browns losing.  I figured it would be called "The Collapse", using the typical Cleveland sports misfortune naming convention.  If any fandom was going to have their team go up 28-0 in the first quarter in a playoff game against their most hated rival and end up losing it would be the Browns.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 24, 2021, 11:30:31 PM »
You are in the red zone down 8 points with 2:05 to go and it's fourth down.  Let's review your options:

1. You attempt to score a touchdown and fail.  The other team gets the ball with a one score lead.

2. You score a touchdown but fail at the 2-pt conversion.  The other team gets the ball with a one score lead.

3. You score a touchdown and get the 2-pt conversion.  The game is tied.

4. You kick a field goal.  The other team gets the ball with a one score lead.

If you're leaning towards option 4, you're the Green Bay Packers head coach and also a stupid person.  Note how in all situations except option 3 the result is exactly the same.  But in option 4 you do not even attempt to tie the game and the field goal gains you nothing.  The worst case scenario of trying to tie the game and failing is the exact same result as choosing to kick.  When fearing failure this idiot intentionally chose failure rather than merely risking it.  I swear this should be used as some quiz for HR departments to test a job candidate's decision-making capabilities.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 27, 2021, 05:06:27 AM »
Football coaches can often be so "smart" that they make dumb decisions. It's strange to see it at times, like in the Packers/Bucs game.

So who do we think will win the Super Bowl? Buccaneers of the Chiefs? I hope Tampa Bay wins. Give the Falcons something to aspire to. :p

The more I keep reading about the records Brady's breaking, the more and more impressed I am. We've really witnessed history being made this year.