Author Topic: If I wanted to make my own website....  (Read 5596 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
If I wanted to make my own website....
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »
...What programs would you recommend?

I'm looking for something easy to use. Its not for me, but a friend is trying to create a website and doesn't know how to get started.

I've heard of Dreamweaver, but what other programs are out there?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:55:29 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: If I wanted to manke my own website....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:16:29 PM »
What does he want to do with the website? That is essential, that way I know what tools he needs.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »
Its a she, and she is setting up some sort of online store.
I think she list the goods & some other company ships the product.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 08:42:19 PM »
You will need basic knowledge in all of the following

1. HTML/CSS/Javascript, Languages used for creating the look and feel of your website.  Ways to cut back on this are use Dreamweaver,  and find a template you can use from OSWD.org.  However, you will still need some knowledge of these languages.

2. PHP/Ruby/.NET & SQL you will need a server side scripting language.  This language will help you manage everything.  Manage users, log them in, track their sessions, do all the dynamic work.  A database program (mysql, sql server, oracle) all use the language SQL, you need to know how to do this because these programs store data.  Users, Users' sessions, orders processed, everything. 

3.  Gateway, credit card processor. Gateway and credit card processor are both pretty obvious, but they can be a  pain in the ass to set up.  Basically all that is needed is a lil' patience.

If she has no actual knowledge of anything I mention, this is a hell of an endeavor. She should just start with some of the pre-built stores that are out and a lot of people use.  SHe could combine those stores with number 1 and she could have something nice and professional.  One of the most popular pre-built e-commerce tools is http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/ecommerce/

If you have any other questions, I'll be around.  Good luck

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
Its tied to this company called SMC
http://www.smcorp.com/

But thanks for the info, I will pass it on and maybe learn alot myself in the process

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: If I wanted to make my own website....
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:05:28 AM »
For sites like this, the biggest challenge I have always faced is the commitment of the client.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 02:00:54 AM »
Wordpad. Word.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 05:20:31 AM »
For sites like this, the biggest challenge I have always faced is the commitment of the client.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »
How many people here do website stuff as a profession? Seems to be quite a few of us in relation to the number of people in the forum.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »
Well I used to do it as a profession, in school I do it mostly as a hobbyist.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »
but do you guys actually make money doing it?
is it wise to start this now?
& should I help her out and split the profits?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »
For my answer to the question, there are many ways someone goes about it:

Get a host that provides tools for creating a website. The upside is that it is easy, the downside is it is extremely rigid, difficult to move beyond the scope of what is provided, and the site is non-transferable to another host.

Buy a template and have it hosted wherever. The up is the site is extremely portable and easy to edit. The downside is if you need more than the template was designed for you could end up paying a professional about as much to alter it as you would have to just get a custom site.

Have a custom site designed. The upside is you can pretty much take it anywhere, provided the environment supports whatever languages the designer uses, the site will be designed with promoting the brand image in mind, and its not a big deal to increase the scope of the site beyond the initial request. The downside is the expense and the time. These sites can also have the content edited by use of an editor or through an online admin.

The editor one chooses can vary based on the environment and how comfortable someone is with current products. Microsoft offers Expression, and Adobe offers Dreamweaver. Then there are countless other WYSIWYG editors all striving to be the best. I would recommend Expression if the host offers Frontpage Extensions and the user has a good knowledge of Office products. The toolsets are similar. Dreamweaver is for those who just generally don't like Microsoft but want a well-rounded program for editing websites. Personally, politics aside, I still use Frontpage 2003 in code view. It is more intuitive than Dreamweaver's code view.

I'm trying to be complete in answering the question, but its like opening a can of worms... One aspect not talked about is creating the graphics for the site. I use Photoshop. Someone else could use Fireworks. Then there are the countless shareware programs. I wouldn't recommend the purchase of a big software set because you could spend the same amount of cash in paying for a professionally designed site, and the amount of time it takes to figure out how to do stuff could be overwhelming.

All in all though, a seldom user could be just as well served by finding a shareware program on Downloads.com to edit a single website. Just keep in mind that you 'could' build your own house, but would the end result be worth it?

EDIT:

I make a living off of designing websites. Is it wise to start up a site that sells stuff? Who knows? It could be, but you need to have a hook. It HAS to stand out from everyone else who does the same thing.
If you do a partnership, put everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on paper. From who controls what, who makes what types of decisions, to what work is expected from each and if there is a mess up what the consequences are. Beyond that, go for it. You might make a buck or two.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:37:24 PM by bustin98 »

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 08:38:08 PM »
but do you guys actually make money doing it?
is it wise to start this now?
& should I help her out and split the profits?

1.  Not any more than just having a normal job 10-15 dollars an hour job. Unless you have a hell of an idea.  Making websites is big risk.

2.  Depends on your devotion.

3.  No. I'd run for the hills. It would require a lot of your time. 

Only do it if you really are ready to devote time to it.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »
I've made a few grand over the past few years but nothing huge. I don't do as much of it as I used to simply because I found the oftentimes the job is 90% salesman and 10% design. Since I like the design part more, I only do projects that I really like.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 11:25:06 PM »
I still do webdevelopment because I enjoy it and because I get a good idea here or there.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 01:26:19 AM »
I just threw my back out, so i figure that I will have plenty of time to get started for the next week atleast.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 01:29:15 AM »
Best of luck

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 04:12:31 AM »
Real men use notepad
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 05:35:19 AM »

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 06:02:05 AM »
How many people here do website stuff as a profession? Seems to be quite a few of us in relation to the number of people in the forum.

.NET guy (started on ASP.NET actually).

I make a living off of designing websites. Is it wise to start up a site that sells stuff? Who knows? It could be, but you need to have a hook. It HAS to stand out from everyone else who does the same thing.
If you do a partnership, put everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on paper. From who controls what, who makes what types of decisions, to what work is expected from each and if there is a mess up what the consequences are. Beyond that, go for it. You might make a buck or two.

Gotta agree with all this here. Make sure whatever terms you agree to are clearly defined BEFORE you start any sort of partnership. Be clear on what happens whether the partnership is successful or not.

Real men use vi
Fixed that.

Real men get stuff done, instead of having pissing contests about tools.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 10:56:16 AM »
Real men get stuff done, instead of having pissing contests about tools.

Speaks truth. For video games I use visual studio, for web I use notepad++.  For large scale code thats really complex, video games, your just slitting your wrists not having a debugger. Nothing manly about emo

Frozen Shoe Games