Author Topic: Happy 10th Birthday, Nintendo World Report!  (Read 25045 times)

Offline Justin Nation

• Programmer, Senior Editor, Daddy
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • MAMEiac Gaming
Re: Happy 10th Birthday, Nintendo World Report!
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 06:25:23 AM »
They had to freeze me for the last 6 years until they found the cure for spontaneous cerebral cortex combustion. What would I do without the fine folks at Prescott Pharmaceuticals?

Brave man, I could have sworn I heard the potential side effects of that drug were: Spontaneous Dom DeLuise Transformations, Crayon Worship, and Lollipop Guild Syndrome?
Justin Nation
Resident Dinosaur, Occasional Contributor, Daddy
MAMEiac Gaming
Administrator, The Nintendo Switch Fan Community (Facebook Group)
"People are stupid"

Offline MikeHrusecky

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 07:38:42 AM »
Brave man, I could have sworn I heard the potential side effects of that drug were: Spontaneous Dom DeLuise Transformations, Crayon Worship, and Lollipop Guild Syndrome?

Really... that would explain a lot then.

Vaxicontin: Guaranteed to change your life, and possibly your genetic code.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »
I came to PGC probably like 2001 or so simply because it loaded way the **** faster than IGN. ;)
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »
I came to PGC probably like 2001 or so simply because it loaded way the **** faster than IGN. ;)

Doesn't everything load faster than IGN? I think GameSpot loads faster than IGN. But I do like the minimalist approach thee site has going. I hope the redesign keeps the minimalist features to a degree.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »
I have to agree on the minimalist approach as to one reason why this site here is awesome sauce. One of the reasons I stopped visiting GameSpot is because the site strangles my computer with a single-minded fury rarely seen amongst websites.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2009, 06:30:50 PM »
I have to agree on the minimalist approach as to one reason why this site here is awesome sauce. One of the reasons I stopped visiting GameSpot is because the site strangles my computer with a single-minded fury rarely seen amongst websites.

Both IGN and GameSpot are like two mutated Japanese monsters that ravage your computer city's bandwidth in their never ending battle for market (and advertising) dominance.
My Game Collection

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2009, 11:17:08 PM »
10 years? Has it been that long?  :o

Its been so long, that there's no longer the little icon for a beer and wine glass... :'(

One thing that stuck out with me was the Aussie(and token New Zealander, you know who you are...) population in the forums when I joined. I didn't know they even had Nintendo down there... :P

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »
10 years? Has it been that long?  :o

Its been so long, that there's no longer the little icon for a beer and wine glass... :'(

One thing that stuck out with me was the Aussie(and token New Zealander, you know who you are...) population in the forums when I joined. I didn't know they even had Nintendo down there... :P

They still hold the record for the most replied to thread at 4020 posts. The second highest would be the Wii Sales Data thread at 3714 so it is a pretty large lead.
My Game Collection

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »
Happy Birthday PGC/NWR!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2009, 11:14:40 PM »
Well, if everyone else and their mother is going to tell their secret origin, I might as well throw in mine as well...

Back in October of 2004, I was working at this Nintendo fansite called N-Insanity.com (it's no longer active). With the promise of free (!!!) games the tiniest bit of clout in the industry (in that I had an email address that wasn't Yahoo! or Hotmail), I really couldn't have been more psyched. And everybody else was pretty much just as inexperienced as I was, so it was fun learning how to write news, reviews, etc along with people I still call friends today.

Anywho, one of my fellow staffers at NI, as we called it, alerted me to PGC putting out an open request for writers back in November of '04. I sent in my application, in which I kissed a bunch of ass, and referred to a debug as a "decoder" (oy!). I think I threw in an editorial where I was pretty critical of then-new Nintendo marketing dude, Reggie Fils-Aime.

So like two months went by, and even though Jonny had sent me an email some time after my application went in answering a few questions, things were pretty much silent on that end. And in the mean time, I'd become the Editor-in-Chief of N-Insanity (we were actually starting to do pretty well - we had a Resident Evil feature that got some press on a bunch of RE fansites). But then came that cold, Miami night. January 19th, 2005. I got an email from Jonny saying something to the effect of, "So... you still want the job?" I was so ****ing excited, I actually called a bunch of my friends to tell them the news. I was (and still am, really) such a nerd.

The funny thing about it all is that, like two days before this all happened, I totally aped one of Lindy's previews to put together my own for NI. Hah.

So I joined the site, becoming the youngest person ever to do so (I was hired eight days before my 16th birthday), and the rest is documented for your reading pleasure. My first article was the 2004 Louie Awards (where I commented on a ton of games I hadn't played, and summed up a year for the site I hadn't been a part of), and I think my first review was Fight Night Round 2 (7.5/10, mostly because the GameCube's octagonal base for the C-Stick made pulling of haymakers a pain in the ass).

There are a couple memories that stick out vividly. Every once in a while, there'd be a game to show up at Jonny's then-place in Alabama (he was the guy who shipped games at the time - later on Mike Gamin did it, and I'm not sure if he still is now) that nobody wanted. And being such a busy dude himself (running the site, being the PR guy, holding a separate job of his own), Jonny had to bribe one of us into taking it via a "secret prize."

Little known fact: I always was, and still would be, a sucker for those damn secret prizes.

So in one such case, Jonny had to offload Ghost Recon 2 for GameCube, and seriously, NOBODY wanted this one. At the time, I was still new and eager to prove my worth, so when Jonny threw in a "secret prize," I signed up ASAP. The prize turned out to be a Limited Zelda Edition Gold GBA SP, along with a copy of Minish Cap. Ghost Recon ended up being pretty terrible (I think it might've been the worst game I reviewed in all three years of my working here), but hot damn did I dig that prize.

Another would be my first Monday in Tallahassee, FL, which was the first time I recorded Radio Free Nintendo actually being in the same room as Mike Sklens. We'd always made do with Skype, but man, actually being able to play off of each other in the same apartment was awesome. I later got the chance to do the same thing with Lindy while visiting Atlanta.

Tons of other things stick out (recording Nintendo Pirate Radio with Stan, arguing with Burchfield, the ridiculous days of media wrangling on the E3 Home Crew), but this is starting to get really long. So to wrap it all up, Happy Birthday NintendoWorldReport.com, PlanetGameCube.com, PlanetN2000.com, and N2000HQ.com. Thank you to Billy Berghammer, Jonny Metts, Steven Rodriguez, Jon Lindemann, and every other hard-working staffer who put their sweat, blood, and tears into making this a website that didn't just read with integrity, but soul as well.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:17:44 PM by KarlCastaneda »
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
The prize turned out to be a Limited Zelda Edition Gold GBA SP
Wow, did these things ever actually get released in the US?  I remember waiting to get one of these, but I never saw them for sale outside of Europe. 
And then I won the DS from PGC and my desire to ever acquire an SP vanished.
Incidentally, the only reason I ended up with an original GBA was to have something to do on the train ride to E3 2003 (which was a few years before I joined this site).
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2009, 12:40:33 AM »
The funny thing about it all is that, like two days before this all happened, I totally aped one of Lindy's previews to put together my own for NI. Hah.

I KNEW IT!!  YOU SON OF A BITCH!!
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2009, 01:17:57 AM »
Wow, did these things ever actually get released in the US?  I remember waiting to get one of these, but I never saw them for sale outside of Europe. 
Incidentally, the only reason I ended up with an original GBA was to have something to do on the train ride to E3 2003 (which was a few years before I joined this site).
Yeah, they never released it here in the States. I borrowed (and then, through apathy or silent anger, eventually owned) a charger from one of my friends, since it showed up with a UK power cable.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2009, 01:24:07 AM »

Yeah, they never released it here in the States. I borrowed (and then, through apathy or silent anger, eventually owned) a charger from one of my friends, since it showed up with a UK power cable.

I KNEW IT!!  YOU SON OF A BITCH!!
Muahaha! It was actually your Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow preview. I wish I could find my preview, but the Wayback Machine's being testy.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2009, 02:43:19 AM »
It's funny, but I remember neither the Zelda GBA SP nor that Ghost Recon 2 was ever released on GameCube.  For a while there, I had so much crazy **** coming to my apartment that I was going to the post office four or five times a week just to ship it all for reviews.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2009, 02:48:20 PM »
So many stories are coming to mind now. Killing Louie the Cat (not the real one, I swear!), the mini-fiasco with the first non-Louie rumor article (thanks Capcom PR!), the Dream Game Revolution contest (somewhere on an old hard drive there is a 400 KB Microsoft Word file that I read ALL of), etc etc. Great times.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2009, 09:40:37 PM »
As always, god damn late to the party, but even if late, congrats PGC/NWR! I can't remember why I stumbled upon the site, but I know I'll never leave, even though I'm not exactly a notewrothy forum participant.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2009, 11:30:56 PM »
As always, god damn late to the party, but even if late, congrats PGC/NWR! I can't remember why I stumbled upon the site, but I know I'll never leave, even though I'm not exactly a notewrothy forum participant.

You're noteworthy to me, Mantidor.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »
Aw thanks! the thing is, I just don't post as often as I used to, but well that comes with aging.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »

You have no idea how terrible it was during those lean years to be a Nintendo fan - it was just one long-running joke about Nintendo's Australian branch, which we were convinced was just an empty building that made them look like they cared.

BLOODY NAL!

As for the Aussie reputation on the forum, I don't think it was a "large group" rather than a small-but-loud-and-troublesome group that made us stand out from the others back in those busy days. A fair few gravitated towards that initial thread, but there were probably less than 10 that lasted any significant amount of time on the site (speaking of missing people, whatever happened to Uncle Rich AiAi?). Its here for anyone who can't operate the search functionality.

There was a follow-up attempt here which didn't even make 1000 posts, and then there was the super-secret Aussie board which had a lot of cool stuff (but has probably disappeared like Rick's secret wrestling forum). And then the special treatment kind of disappeared - they were probably sick of treating us like a protected species ("We ride kangaroos to school. What, you don't?") when we were probably more troublesome than anything.

But its been fun - the bannings and skirmishes with authorities, the arguments that somehow degenerated into photoshopping insults, T8's official PGC report at the Pokemon event, someone demonstrating how borked the old forums were, the Mafia games (I still owe RAB a backstab for killing his teammate with the worst Day 1 bandwagon I've ever seen - who'd have thought people cared about Pittboi), and so on and so forth.

Games? I think we did talk about games once or twice. Really! Its been a blast anyway!