Author Topic: Gran Torino  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Gran Torino
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:31:31 PM »
I don't think this movie was suppose to come off as hilarious, but I found myself laughing quite a bit. I don't know if it was the racial slurs or the way Clint Eastwood said "pussy", I loved it all.

Overall, the movie is quite good. The plot is subtle and slow, but the character interaction is superb. There's even a song at the end sung by Clint Eastwood to top of the movie! Listen to it, it's ridiculous. ;D

Anyway, I recommend this movie to everyone.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Gran Torino
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »
Fantastic movie, and an excellent performance. Very true to life. Clint Eastwood deserves the Oscar for best actor.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:56:59 PM »
Great stuff, and yes, absolutely hilarious (of course it was supposed to be!).  Awesome re-envisioning of his Dirty Harry persona.  Old Clint is incredible.  He is the oldest, meanest man alive.  It's awesome.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:33:29 PM »
Fantastic movie, and an excellent performance. Very true to life. Clint Eastwood deserves the Oscar for best actor.

::pukes::

Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:42:15 AM »
Does NWR have an ignore feature? GP just dishonored CLINT FREAKING EASTWOOD and I don't think I can bear hearing anything else from her.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 12:43:57 AM »
GP is seriously treading in perma-ban territory here.

ASK YOURSELF...DO YA FEEL LUCKY, GP?  DO YA?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 02:07:38 AM »
The kid in this movie CAN NOT ACT.  The racial slurs were hilarious, though.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 02:44:58 AM »
From what I understand, the Hmong people in the movie were not actors but locals that they hired on location in Michigan.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 03:56:17 AM »
Which was a terrible decision when it came to casting the person with the second largest role after Clint himself.  "Toad's" sister was very good though.  Sure she was a local?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 05:15:23 AM »
I don't think this movie was suppose to come off as hilarious, but I found myself laughing quite a bit.

I pissed myself laughing at Clint Eastwood saying "Get off my lawn".

Of course, he says it while pointing a gun at them, but that's not the point.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 09:05:11 AM »
Which was a terrible decision when it came to casting the person with the second largest role after Clint himself.  "Toad's" sister was very good though.  Sure she was a local?

Yup. Sure she will be in other movies now though. http://blog.mlive.com/projectmayhem/2009/01/gran_torino_actress_ahney_her.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 04:28:07 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »
Cool, they should have re-written the flick to focus on her.  Toad ruined the movie for me.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »
I didn't think he was good, but to say he ruined the movie is just too harsh.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »
You're right, I guess I should say that Toad ruined key portions of the movie and made scenes that should have lots of emotional impact humorous and sad.  Clint, of course, was great and like I said I had many a good laugh with Mr. Old Grumpy Racist.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 12:56:50 PM »
Saw it Saturday night and I really liked it.  It was really funny to the point where I would almost recommend it to people as a comedy with some dramatic overtones (kind of like most Wes Anderson movies I guess).  The commercials made it seem like some super serious "geezer vs. the gangs" kind of thing and while that is certainly part of the movie it isn't really the focus.  It's more about a cranky old coot slowly making friends with his non-white neighbours, who we really only dislikes because he hates everyone different than him.

Toad just comes across as inexperienced.  It is literally his first ever movie.  I didn't think he was bad.  When I think of bad actors ruining a movie I think of Jake Lloyd in Phantom Menace or whoever the hell played the lead in Almost Famous or Sophia Coppola in Godfather Part III.  I'm not a great actor but I've made some short films with my friends and there are people that can act "good enough" and people that have absolutely no idea how to act at all.  The "not at all" people are the ones that ruin movies.  If you're passable that's all that matters to me, at least in regards to whether your performance will ruin a movie or not.  Toad was perfectly acceptable.

One thing that's funny about the movie is that Clint's character Walt will say something blatantly racist and the whole theatre would crack up.  I find that funny because racist humour is very politically incorrect... but almost everyone laughs at it.  Now serious racism where you're like a member of the KKK or something is considered wrong and it should be.  But the politically correct view of racism is like if you have any slight opinion of anybody based on race that's bad.  And yet everyone is a little bit racist in a way that is largely harmless and everyone will laugh at a racist joke once in a while.  The funny thing is Clint Eastwood and the others involved with this movie know that and use that to get some big laughs.  It's just like how everyone deep down finds crude humour funny and makes jokes about people different than them.

Hell the movie even relies on ageist humour.  A big part of the gag is that the lead character is a cranky old racist geezer, ie: typical elderly stereotype humour.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »
Ya....everyone's a little racist. Not in a I'm superior sort of way, but in a stereotypical way. But that's human nature. If we've never seen a lion and we come across a blue one; we would think lions are blue.

Get it?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 12:36:31 AM »

And your choice would be?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 12:51:22 AM »
wall-e
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 02:12:33 AM »

And your choice would be?

Mickey Rourke.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »
Saw this movie last night, I'd give it a 5 out of 5.  The contrast between cultures and generations was very well done, and Clint was just downright hilarious.  "Grrrr....."
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....