Author Topic: Which influential game series have you never played?  (Read 5315 times)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Which influential game series have you never played?
« on: May 07, 2019, 04:34:49 PM »
Given the proliferation of video games as a form of art and/or entertainment over the past 40+ years, there's no way even more enthusiastic players have tried every major series. I'd be curious to read what influential franchises, or perhaps even genres, people here haven't tried (yet).

For me there's quite a few:
-Mega Man is a good example of a long-running, highly formative franchise that I've just never played. Physical copies tend to be expensive, but that's hardly an excuse in a world of virtual console. I believe I even asked once on this forum which would be good entry points - it just hasn't happened yet.
-Resident Evil is one of the most prolific media franchises, period. There's easily 20-30 distinct instalments and spin-offs, and that's excluding phone and arcade games. Many of them are praised highly, they're on every platform under the Sun, I even own REmake on GameCube. If I have time this October I'm gonna try and see what the hype is all about.
-2D Zelda games Mop It Up made me realise these are another blind spot of mine. Haven't played a single one, nor did I ever try similar series like Neutopia, StarTropics, or Alundra. Although to be honest I'm not going out of my way to rectify this, either. Currently I'm still chipping away at Breath of the Wild and in the future I want to try Majora's Mask, at which point I might be Zelda'd out for a while.
-Dark Souls and similar games are undoubtedly very popular right now. I don't tend to gravitate to very difficult games because I'm generally not very good at games, but I'm open to give this a try if the opportunity presents itself. Maybe on Switch one day?

There's many other series I've never tried, like Kingdom Hearts, Uncharted, Gears of War, Madden NFL and basically the entire battle royale shooter phenomenon. These either don't appeal to me very much, or they mostly exist on platforms I don't have access to. I do want to try a Madden game at some point though, maybe it'd help me understand American football better.

So which major series haven't you played? Would you like to change this? Is it mostly due to constraints on time and money, or a lack of interest too? Are you actively avoiding some series/franchises? Tell us why!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Which influential game series have you never played?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:09:43 PM »
I don't play Sports games, so I'm not going to even address them here.

Easily the biggest one I haven't played is Grand Theft Auto, and I'm happy to keep it that way. I'm just not interested in Open World Crime games, with the lone exception of Mafia 2 (and THAT was largely due to its excellent period theming and storytelling).

I've also never played a Diablo game, having never really been a PC gamer and not really caring for isometric RPGs in general.

I've never played any of the Half Life games, mainly because by the time I had devices that could play them they all aged terribly and I could just play a modern game inspired by what they started.

Finally, for all the games I've played that were inspired by them, I've never played the System Shock games. Sure, I've played Bioshock and its sequels, but those are quite far removed from what System Shock was.

So yeah, basically GTA and hardcore PC games. I only ever played RTS games on my PC.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 07:30:46 PM »
I was going to say Resident Evil but I just remembered trying out RE5 at a friend's house for like 10 minutes.  That probably doesn't count.

I've never played Half-Life.  Never played Dark Souls but the reputation of that series is that the games are really hard and I'm not that good at hard games so it seems pointless for me to bother.  Devil May Cry is quite influential but I've never tried it from the assumption that I don't have the skills for it.

Online focused stuff is largely something I have no familiarity to at all.  Fortnight is a huge deal but I didn't even know what it was at first, let alone something I've played.  In general actually you can do a great job weeding out titles that became big in the 2010's.  Angry Birds, Minecraft - never touched any of these.  In my 20s I was very hip to what was going in videogames but like most people I've become distanced from current trends now that I'm in my 30s.  Instead of trying to sample a taste of different gameplay styles I'm now well aware of what types of games I like.  I have less free time then I used to so I prioritize the types of titles I know I'll like.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:37:51 PM »
There aren't that many that I haven't played at all, because there have been a number of cases where I made a point to play at least a little of a lot of influential series. For instance, I've played some Final Fantasy, but never any of the big, highly acclaimed ones like IV, VI, or VII. One big one I haven't played, though, is the Street Fighter series. I've never been into fighting games that aren't Smash Bros., so I never played that or a lot of the other prominent series. I also haven't played any of the battle royale games that are really popular right now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 12:15:32 AM »
I've dipped my toes in most of the major franchises, sometimes for only a few minutes, but there are a few I've missed.

Never played Chrono Trigger.
Never played a mainline Pokemon
Never played a Phantasy Star
Never played a Dance Dance Revolution

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 03:00:29 AM »
Lets see a lot of the main ones I missed is because of console exclusivity but aside from those I would say these are my blind spots.

The 3D GTA games. I guess that series never really interested me in part because of what it represents. I am okay with others liking the series it just isn't my thing. I did play either the 1st or second GTA at a friends house but I guess I didn't enjoy it.

Half-Life series. I have the 2nd game on my Steam wishlist but haven't played it myself. I have watched lots of speed runs of the series though.

Games in the MMORPG genre I haven't really touched because I can have an addictive personality so I know I would play the games to no end. 

Haven't played things like PubG, Fortnite and the like.

Dark Souls is one that I am sure I would enjoy but I just haven't gotten around to the series. I could probably get into Bloodborne even more than the latter series.

The Splatoon series I haven't played and it is just a matter of when I get a Switch to play it.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:41:50 PM »
I was going to say GTA, but I did play Chinatown Wars. I've played other open world games like Godfather.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Starc20

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:07:05 AM »
Well GTA was our chidhood memories..Isn't it?But yaa too much fond of it...ALso i loved to play an game known as crazy taxi..Didn't looke much attractive or interesting but yaa worth playing..other than it,not much interested in action games mybkexperience survey
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:57:52 AM by Starc20 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 03:36:33 PM »
For a long time two were Star Fox and Resident Evil, but not anymore. Though I still haven't tried the original RE nor 4.

When it comes to games like this I think I'm pretty well-versed, in the grand scheme of things. Several of your list applies to me, though I dunno if those games were actually influential or just popular.

One I can think of which was a cultural phenomenon is Pac-Man, in part because that era was before my time. This goes for other arcade games which may have had an impact such as Space Invaders, Asteroids, etc. I've just never had an interest in arcade games, or anything pre-NES really, so there would be a lot of ground-breaking titles during the formative years of games that I haven't played.

-2D Zelda games Mop it up made me realise these are another blind spot of mine.
Oops, I'm sorry!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 01:02:36 PM »
Mop it up, are you considering any of the RE ports coming to Switch? I'm tempted to get all of them as I sold off my copy of Zero on Gamecube, and I never played the REmake. I'm on the fence for RE4 because I have it on Wii and unless they can replicate the pointer controls well enough, I'll just go back and finish that one.

I'm a little surprised you missed out on Star Fox for so long? You are a big N64 buff, did you miss that one for a long time?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline kaijugamer

• Spambot
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 03:49:07 AM »
I'll be honest, I've never played any Zelda game. The only instance I was able to play any character from that series is because of Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart.