Author Topic: Super Meat Boy WiiWare Cancelled  (Read 21061 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Super Meat Boy WiiWare Cancelled
« on: December 24, 2010, 06:02:34 PM »

Retail version of the title not likely either. Update: Cancellation due to size limit on WiiWare

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24592

Super Meat Boy developers Team Meat have announced on their Twitter page that the WiiWare version of their title, the first platform for which the game was announced, has been cancelled. The game has seen many delays due to WiiWare's size restrictions, forcing the team to move the game to Xbox Live Arcade and PC where it has received critical success.

In addition, the team confirms that while things are looking grim, they are interested in creating a retail version of the title but this seems unlikely at the moment.

Update: Team Meat have told Joystiq the reasons behind the cancellation of the WiiWare release. It comes down to the fact the the game will not fit within the 40MB size limit for WiiWare titles.

Designer Edmund McMillen said, "We knew of the limits early on but overestimated our ability to get Nintendo to raise the file size. It's lame that there is a 40MB cap on WiiWare games... but it was our fault for blindly assuming this cap wasn't set in stone, and we are sorry for that."

Were the game to be released on WiiWare, it would have no leaderboards, Dark World levels or downloadable content. Music tracks would be limited to six in total, and boss fights and cutscenes would have no audio. Team Meat were not wiling to compromise the game content found they were unable to compile a satisfactory version that fir within the size limit.

McMillen confirms Nintendo's strict policy on WiiWare size adding, "Probably, honestly we got so lost in making a cool game we totally forgot about how strict the limitations for the Wii were, we just wanted to make something huge and the game got a little out of control."

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Super Meat Boy WiiWare Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
I'd be so pissed right now if I didn't buy the game a couple days ago on Steam.

I'm normally not one to complain about Nintendo's inane policies, but this sucks.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
I am getting sick of the file restriction on the Wii and this is why I am looking forward to the Wii 2. I guess Nintendo did not provide a wavor for this game?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:36:55 PM »
just when i thought i was going to pop my wii ware cherry, i get this kick to the face

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »
I'm not sure if there was a Wiiware game that I looked forward to playing that was cancelled because of it's file size. This is messed up. It feels like the corners that Nintendo cuts fans would rather walk. They really messed up online everything for the Wii and it's going to take another console to make up for it, which shouldn't be the case. At least Meat Boy is available for more than one system.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
Having played the XBLA demo, I find it hard to believe they couldn't have fit it in 40MB. Obviously they would know more since it's there game, but I hope they do go through with the idea of making it a retail release (which they mentioned a few months ago).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:13:30 PM »
It would have been nice of them to announce this when people still had a chance to buy it on sale on Steam for $3.75.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »
when porting games to wiiware go midi
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »
Can someone remind us all again how big the entire Super Mario All Stars ROM is?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 11:31:03 PM »
Not sure about the Wii one, but the original SNES cartridge was 2 Megabytes (16 megabits).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »
Can someone explain to me why the limit even exists? Are they just so cheap they aren't even willing to pay for servers or something?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:44 AM »
It seems to me as though the file restriction is going to become increasingly common as indie develped games continue to grow in a similar way to Super Meat Boy is that the Wiiware service will lose quality titles. The service will be relegated to smaller titles that will eventually over saturate Wiiware and people will lose interest because there was never any room for qualitative expansion.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 12:08:48 AM »
Can I...can I at least get a PSN version?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 12:31:15 AM »
Can I...can I at least get a PSN version?

http://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/18065386889019392#

ATTENTION: we have no beef with ps3, we cant ever do a ps3 version because of our contract with MS.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 12:39:52 AM »
Not sure about the Wii one, but the original SNES cartridge was 2 Megabytes (16 megabits).

So, Super Mario All-Stars, which holds four platforming games (plus the "Battle Mode" - the original Mario Bros.), roughly 200 levels, one of the greatest platformers of all time (SMB3), along with a wide variety of level design, music, power-ups, enemies, etc., etc...  fit in less than half of the WiiWare file restriction?

Curious, how big is the All Stars + Super Mario World version? :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 12:59:29 AM »

So, Super Mario All-Stars, which holds four platforming games (plus the "Battle Mode" - the original Mario Bros.), roughly 200 levels, one of the greatest platformers of all time (SMB3), along with a wide variety of level design, music, power-ups, enemies, etc., etc...  fit in less than half of the WiiWare file restriction?

Curious, how big is the All Stars + Super Mario World version? :D

About 1/20th of the limit.

Just for those actually wondering, SMAS + SMW is about 2.5 Megabytes.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 01:05:03 AM »
Can someone explain to me why the limit even exists? Are they just so cheap they aren't even willing to pay for servers or something?
There's no official answer, but it appears to be a technical limitation of the system, which seems to download the game into the RAM before saving it to the internal flash. Even if the limit could be raised, it wouldn't be very much, since the system has so little internal memory.

Can someone remind us all again how big the entire Super Mario All Stars ROM is?
I see your point, but companies shouldn't have to heavily compress their games just to fit within an arbitrary size limit.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 01:08:12 AM »
About 1/20th of the limit.

Just for those actually wondering, SMAS + SMW is about 2.5 Megabytes.

Bytes, bits, it's all confusing... :D

I see your point, but companies shouldn't have to heavily compress their games just to fit within an arbitrary size limit.

Considering you just explained that (as far as we all know), it's a technical limitation - then it's hardly an arbitrary limitation, now is it? :)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 01:12:44 AM »
Eh, maybe, but the size limit could have been easily prevented if Nintendo had any foresight in designing the Wii, whereas back in 1993 it would cost a lot of money to use a cartridge larger than 2MB.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 01:16:16 AM »
Eh, maybe, but the size limit could have been easily prevented if Nintendo had any foresight in designing the Wii, whereas back in 1993 it would cost a lot of money to use a cartridge larger than 2MB.

I won't argue that point.  But, did developers throw up their hands and QQ because they were limited to 2MB carts, or did they design some of the most kick-ass games around?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 01:22:48 AM »
Actually, many SNES games were larger than that. The largest SNES games were 6 Megabytes (no surprise that those were RPGs: Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean. Still, the fact that Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island was only 2 megabytes shows that you can make a technically impressive game and make it be small.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 01:30:22 AM »
Developers didn't complain about the size of cartridges for several reasons. Firstly, the size of the cartridges of the time were plenty large enough compared to the system's capabilities, so most companies couldn't create games that needed more space than the cartridge sizes available anyway. The Wii is designed with a 4.7GB disc in mind as its primary storage medium, so if you have to limit yourself to a mere fraction of that (somewhere around 1/100th the space? Maybe less), you can't really utilize the system's capabilities. Secondly, developers didn't really have an alternative to the small size of cartridges, as the SNES and Genesis were basically the whole gaming market. Sure there were a couple of CD systems available, but they sold poorly and were not a viable platform to make money. Today, the XBox 360, PS3, and PC provide a much more lucrative platform than the Wii, so developers are justified with their complaints of its limitations, and they will move to whatever platform can satisfy their needs.

Also of note, the Internet didn't really exist back in the day so developers didn't have a window to go and speak out to the world. I'm sure we would have heard a lot more complaining, such as about Nintendo's policies from the time and other things, if it did exist.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:37:24 AM by Mop it up »

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 04:46:05 AM »
This really shits me off. I don't want to buy this game on the shitty PC, that's hardly any fun. Also if MS could build a fucking console that doesn't break every 2 seconds I would have been able to pick this up for XBLA.

This is a chunk of horseshit.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 06:57:53 AM »
I have a Wii and a PS3. It's coming to neither. No money to them.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 08:59:03 AM »
The blame has to lie somewhere. While both Team Meat and Nintendo may share it, I'm more inclined to blame Nintendo for their ridiculously inferior so-called storage "solution", but moreso for their downright lack of caring. Whereas Microsoft recognized the potential of this game and set out to ensure that their gamers could experience it, Nintendo didn't give two shits. If I want to download only one game from the WiiWare service and have it take up the majority of my Wii's memory, then that should be my perogative.