Author Topic: Episode 426: Connoisseur of Chaos  (Read 19045 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 426: Connoisseur of Chaos
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:33:38 PM »

James is delighted by nearly everything on this episode, which features another infamous FPS and the return of the Listener Mail Lighting Round... or maybe it's better named the (Lords of) Thunder Round!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40112/episode-426-connoisseur-of-chaos

There's something special about this episode, and it's not just that we may have set a new record for the number of emails included. No, it's that James is particularly giddy and demented, a condition incited by the recent Smash Bros. update's portal to all the custom level treasures/garbage he could ever want. Next up is Code Name STEAM, now running much more smoothly and subject to a deeper critical analysis by Jonny. At issue: what happens when a game gives you lots of interesting choices for tactical readiness, but no information upon which to base those decisions? The next Club Nintendo reward to be featured on the show comes from Lindy, who catches up with ocho authentico New Super Mario Bros. 2. That gets us talking about reviews, which leads perfectly into one of Jon's most famous reviews, for a game that Guillaume is playing for some damn reason -- The Conduit! He also tries Skip Ltd.'s experiment in charming realism, Chibi-Robo: Photo Finder. And, just because, Gui also dredges up the epitome of late 90s 3D platformers... yes, we're talking about Donkey Kong 64, now available (if you dare) on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Your email game has been strong lately, and there are way too many interesting questions to give them all the usual, in-depth treatment. So, we decided it was time to bring back an old experiment that, frankly, hasn't worked very well until now. It's the Listener Mail Lightning Thunder Round, and for once, we kept on pace to blast through a huge pack of questions. Hopefully, you'll agree that we still did some justice to these topics, despite the unprecedented pace. We may do this kind of thing more often, since it worked out quite well this time, but more substantial discussions will of course still happen as needed. Whether big or small, your email can become part of the show with just a few keystrokes!

Be sure to check out Jonny's recent guest appearance on the wonderful Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition, where he tries to stump our friend TYP. And by the way, now would be a good time to start playing Twilight Princess, as we'll be covering this lengthy game on the show in roughly one month. If you get stuck or have a keen observation, that RetroActive forum thread is up and running for just such purposes. And hey, did you know the RFN crew is actively competing in the NWR Smash Bros. Tournament? We made it to the playoffs... so be sure to follow a new round each week, right here on Nintendo World Report and the NWR TV YouTube channel!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 426: Connoisseur of Chaos
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 05:10:01 AM »
I now understand James Jones in such a way that I am legitimatley skeeved out. I thought there had to be some level of facade to his curmudgeonly persona, and that I would see the day where he drops it and legitimatley gushes about something without a drop of cynic vitriol. we almost got there with Xenoblade Chronicles sans Reyn, but... I now understand what it is James Jones is.

Funny I should be listening to this podcast on Adolf Hitler's 126th birthday.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 05:31:44 AM »
It's worth noting that along with "there's no time," the other favorite method of hand-waiving a story movement in a game or film is for a character to say "it wasn't easy."  :P: There's a fair amount of both of these in The Evil Within, the last major game I played.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:18:12 PM »
The last strategy guides I bought were for the first NA Fire Emblem and for Wind Waker. The fold out map on the Wind Waker guide was pretty good.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline eggface123

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »
I just wanted to thank you for marking the new business parts so I can easily skip the James Jones part.

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 04:57:48 PM »
I just wanted to thank you for marking the new business parts so I can easily skip the James Jones part.

Serious? That's an option now? I finally gave up on this show after years of listening b/c I find him annoying to the point its not worth the listen. But if you can now easily skip parts, I may d/l again.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:02:32 PM »
Nintendad, the AAC version has chapters, so be sure to download that version if you want the option of skipping segments.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
I bought the Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire strategy guide to hit free shipping on an inexpensive piece of podcast equipment. /shrug

Also, I'm proud to make my Now Playing debut.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:01:59 PM »
I don't buy a lot of guides, but I do buy some still. The last one I bought was the Zelda MM 3D one, sometimes I like having them just to look through and as a bit of a collector's piece. I may pull them out for some help every so often, I did use my Skyward Sword one towards the end.

I've actually recently bought some classic N64 guides, Banjo Tooie and DK64, I think having a visual guide for DK may be good to have. Yes, GameFaqs has all the information, but sometimes it's easier to understand when there are pictures and you can flip through the pages quickly and easily.

I also do what Gui mentioned, simply google a specific question and it has usually been answered.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 04:42:57 PM »
So, after reeling for a while from coming to the stunning conclusion that James Jones may just be the anti-christ, I was finally able to listen to more of this episode.

Gui, I urge you to play more Dunkey Kong 64 as well. I spoke with you guys with my voice 2 years ago about that game during the third year of telethon, and i want some real closure. it's not just the ooakey cutscene style, weid camera and such... it's that these rare games saddle your character with a TON of extra abilities/mini-games they can only perform. it's the absurdity of some of these collectibles and what it takes to progress in Donkey Kong 64. Yes, there's the color-coordinated banannas that only each character can collect that you have to feed to the door hippo, but there's also things like collecting coins to buy the various upgrades, which are either fueled by Crystal Cocoanuts, individual ammo counters musical notes, or what have you. there's also orange grenades that all the characters can throw.

They basically took all of banjo/Kazooie's overcomplicated move set and spread it over 5 characters while sprinkling in new stuff, and while that's all fine and dandy, it's a lot of keeping track of things through these huge levels and realizing what sections are exclusive to what kong, which kong can play what mini-game to get this golden bananna, etc.

The real kicker though is the Nintendo and Rareware coins. there are one of each of these, and they are both required to beat the game.you get one of these from Cranky Kong, who challenges you to play an old ZX Spectrum game and set the high score. the other one of these you get after Donkey Kong gains his ability to pull levers, unto which you are then tasked with playing through all 4 levels of Donkey Kong on 1 life on the hardest difficulty setting for the arcade cabinet. when you lose, you are booted out of the arcade game and go through a screen transition where you have to watch DK's lever pulling animation and hear the cranking of that music box that scrapes at the back of my mind every time I see that mugging ape's face.

Gui. I want you to play this game all the way to Hideout helm. Invite Sharon to help you. let her play any sections that involve lanky or tiny kong or hand off or something. play the awful split-screen multiplayer or the Engarde' mini-game against each other. something. I want you to experience this game, and I want you to tell me if me and James are just blowing smoke out or asses or if the trauma is real.

Johnny... First of all, Chrono Cross. Play it. it's pretty great when you get past the morbid depression of the game's themes and the weird combat/character drafting system. and if you can't accept Chrono Cross as a sequel, then why not Radical Dreamers? there's a fan translation out for that, and people figured out how to peacemeal most of those satellaview games back together through romhacking!

Second, I don't know if you remember a lil' gem on the Xbox 360 called Blue Dragon that was directed by Sakaguchi, scored by Uematsu, art design was done by Toriyama, etc... actually, it's the game I got with my 360, and I never finished it. I think that's your proof that Chrono Trigger is better off left alone.

Honestly, game announcement that would freak me the **** out? Startropics 3 developed by Next Level games would be something of that level. The problem is that about 3 years ago, I would have answered this question with " A Yoshi platformer made by good-feel"  and now that's happening. :x I mean, Yoshi's Wooly world isnt' what I would have exactly envisioned, as I would have described my dream game as something that looks similar to the japanese Yoshi's Island commercials. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41g6YrbRfYo  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pestMSoNPDE I really love Wario Land Shake-It's art style... and I would have LOVED for there to be a Yoshi game to bear that sort of art.

oh, and a Treasure/Platinum Games joint venture brainchild product that OOZES style and score attack replay value.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 01:28:40 AM »
I've recently played through Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSone and everything Johnny was saying about Codename: STEAM was really reminding me of this game.  I love a lot of aspects of FFT, but I hated having to choose my team not knowing the map I was going to play on or what kind of enemies I would encounter.  Sure story missions would always be the same, but at best you had a vague idea of what to expect during a random battle.  And that's if you were paying attention to where it was triggered. 

I never knew if I could send out my characters that needed leveling or if I was going to end up wasting my strong people on low level battles.  And it was pretty much guaranteed that I'd have to restart a story level once I knew what to expect.  The fact that there's perma-death didn't make anything easier either.

This is seriously a major problem in my mind.  Now I'm not so sure if I'm going to get this game.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 03:50:19 AM »
I've recently played through Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSone and everything Johnny was saying about Codename: STEAM was really reminding me of this game.  I love a lot of aspects of FFT, but I hated having to choose my team not knowing the map I was going to play on or what kind of enemies I would encounter.  Sure story missions would always be the same, but at best you had a vague idea of what to expect during a random battle.  And that's if you were paying attention to where it was triggered. 

I never knew if I could send out my characters that needed leveling or if I was going to end up wasting my strong people on low level battles.  And it was pretty much guaranteed that I'd have to restart a story level once I knew what to expect.  The fact that there's perma-death didn't make anything easier either.

This is seriously a major problem in my mind.  Now I'm not so sure if I'm going to get this game.

Clearly you weren't spamming enough Calculators.

Spam more calculators. or... if your'e not that far in the game, y'know... perform the accumulate circle-jerk. fun times, that is!

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 12:51:17 PM »
Hi guys I’m new to the site and these forums.

Great podcast and I’ve been catching up with a ton of past episodes the last year.

I had my email read about amiibo on this episode but I was peeved that James Jones just kept interrupting. If they were sitting across from ea other I get the feeling Guillaume would jump the table and beat him down sometimes lol.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 01:30:49 PM »
Keep in mind that interruptions are often unintentional, due to the nature of Skype. How much of that you hear in the episode depends a lot on who's editing and how much tampering he has decided to do on that particular discussion. The level of cross-talk we leave often depends on the seriousness of a topic, or how clearly a person can be heard over the noise, and other factors. To hear how we converse more naturally when not using Skype, listen to episode 400 or the PAX panels.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 02:38:22 PM »
The James Jones backlash begins. Very interesting.

Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 02:40:39 PM »
Keep in mind that interruptions are often unintentional, due to the nature of Skype. How much of that you hear in the episode depends a lot on who's editing and how much tampering he has decided to do on that particular discussion. The level of cross-talk we leave often depends on the seriousness of a topic, or how clearly a person can be heard over the noise, and other factors. To hear how we converse more naturally when not using Skype, listen to episode 400 or the PAX panels.

Yeah true I'll keep that in mind.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »

??? I don't get it?

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »

:confused; I don't get it?

James is a very devisive part of the show. he is either the cynical glue that holds the whole podcast together, or he is the thing that breaks the show for others and makes them not want to listen.

I find his crumudgeonly charm to be fun and more often than not, I laugh my ass off at some of the punctuation he jumps into a conversation with. My pokes at him in above posts are in jest, as I've expressed that he's probably my favorite member of the gang several times in the past. (Not a knock against you guys though because you are all important pieces to the puzzle to make it work, especially Lindy. That's why Now Playing has become amazing ever since you let the goon squad take over that.)

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »

:confused; I don't get it?

James is a very devisive part of the show. he is either the cynical glue that holds the whole podcast together, or he is the thing that breaks the show for others and makes them not want to listen.

I find his crumudgeonly charm to be fun and more often than not, I laugh my ass off at some of the punctuation he jumps into a conversation with. My pokes at him in above posts are in jest, as I've expressed that he's probably my favorite member of the gang several times in the past. (Not a knock against you guys though because you are all important pieces to the puzzle to make it work, especially Lindy. That's why Now Playing has become amazing ever since you let the goon squad take over that.)

Oh that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain that. Yeah I'm new so I'm not sure if I'm starting off on the wrong foot but I personably can't stand him as of late. It makes the show less enjoyable but when he's constrained he's fine and blends in fine.

I've been listening to all the retroactives lately and when its not a game he doesn't care about he doesn't even talk most of the time or he's just super negative. The other crew members respectfully tried even it wasn't a terribly exciting game. I do respect his knowledge and dedication though especially for his age but it seems since he is younger he didn't play some of the older games when they actually came out which can make all the difference in the world.

All in all they have over taken ign as my favorite podcast and they do go early in depth and they have very good chemistry. Sometimes it borders on extremely negetive for the sake of negetive but all in all I'm happy to have discovered this great podcast. Cheers.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 11:27:37 PM »
If you think James is negative, don't go listen to other podcasts out there. Bunch of jaded cynics who HATE videogames, all of them.

RFN is overall much more positive than any other game-related media, WITHOUT falling into open Nintendo (or any other company for that matter) worship. It's just that sometimes you need to talk about a shitty game or some about unfortunate event -- what are you going to do? You spice it up a bit with humour as much as you can.

I will take 10 James' over a single Brad or Jeff from GB.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »
I guess I haven’t listened to enough podcast to know the difference.

I just feel sometimes they just hate on a game or feature just because or even without trying it you know.

Like going back and listening to old episodes since I’m catching up I can think of a bunch of times.

Johnny hating on Mario Golf 3DS when it’s a good game.
Johnny hating on Kirby 3DS when it’s a good game.
Someone hating on Super Mario 3 ( how does that happen!)
Hating on pokemon Y for not having a readily accessible map. Mmmm did anyone press select!!!

Maybe I’m much more forgiving when it comes to certain stuff. I really do appreciate that it is critical though and that they just don’t give Nintendo a free pass but at times it can go overboard.

I feel Greg was the real counter balance to everything. In the old episodes when the guys would go in the deep end with negativity he always knew how to counter balance that with positive points. It was a real pleasure and while his replacement is great and fun he can get sucked in the black hole at times too.

Anyways I’m glad I found this community and I look forward to listening to the podcast every week. Despite nitpickings I really do think it’s the best out there as far as Nintendo is concerned.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »
Kirby Triple Deluxe was my #1 game of last year.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
Kirby Triple Deluxe was my #1 game of last year.

Yeah I guess this stuff is still fresh to me since I’m going back to all the old podcast but when Guillaume originally brought up the game you were very dismissive of it. Partly because of your past experiences with Kirby games but in that particular podcast you really just dismissed it despite Guillaumes best attempts to explain how good it was. In fact everyone dismissed it. Even the Wii Return to Dreamland is an excellent excellent game.

You could hear Guillaumes frustration in his voice at trying to really convey how good this game is and the crew just not buying it at all.

Then in a later podcast I think you played it because your niece or something and you said  how much you actually enjoyed it.

Which is awesome but that’s an example at how at times you guys are so quick to dismiss something.

Offline Lazers

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »
The New 3DS XL's topscreen was changed from a TN to IPS LCD, while the New 3DS' topscreen was not. It actually does make a pretty big difference; I noticed right out of the box that the top display looked much better on my New 3DS XL (I only found out about the specifics of the switch later). So I think it's got a pretty legitimate claim to best designed 3DS over its smaller variant.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
The New 3DS XL's topscreen was changed from a TN to IPS LCD, while the New 3DS' topscreen was not. It actually does make a pretty big difference; I noticed right out of the box that the top display looked much better on my New 3DS XL (I only found out about the specifics of the switch later). So I think it's got a pretty legitimate claim to best designed 3DS over its smaller variant.

what advantages do those changes bring.