Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 671217 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Switch Force Edition)
« Reply #2900 on: January 03, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »
Wii U video chat would have worked better if there was a third party multi platform chat program like skype. too bad.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: January 03, 2017, 11:54:27 PM »
And just so I don't come across as a Nintendo-hater, I'd like to take a moment to state that I bought the Wii U because I love Nintendo games. I own a Wii, which I still play even though I kinda hate the Wii. I own a bunch of games for Wii. I own quite a few for Wii U: MK8, Super Mario 3D World, NSMB Wii U, DKC Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Super Smash Bros Wii U, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker HD, and a few others.

I think quite a few of you relate with where I'm coming from. I want Nintendo to be cool, but it's just not who they are. They make the games I really want to play, but they do not make the console I want to own. Here's to hoping the Switch will be a good enough platform to attract a lot of quality third party support.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: January 04, 2017, 12:30:29 AM »
I think Nintendo has 2 issues.

1) Repeatedly trying to re-invent the wheel just so that they can call it their own.

I think the Wii was the first time they tried this, and it was so successful, that it only made sense to try and upend the table again with the WiiU. It probably would have been better (imo) to make a Wii2 instead, with better or the same motion controls (the same only so the controllers would be compatible), but with better graphics. Instead, they tried something new, which failed, and now the Switch is what the WiiU should have been. Instead of having a screen on the controller, the system has a screen for when you want to take it outside. This makes it more of a traditional machine which is good for gamers and designers.

That's not re-inventing that we're complaining about, though. The Wii motion controls were major selling point for all of us. [That] was exciting. Let's talk about what's not exciting:

When Nintendo does something, they make sure and do it themselves and make sure to only do what their narrow vision requires. One the minimum is satisfied, they trim anything that might be of use to anyone outside Nintendo and make sure they aren't paying an extra penny anywhere along the way while still asking a premium price for the damn thing. I give you: Nintendo re-inventing the wheel.

Yes. you understand what I was talking about.

trying so hard not to be a "copy-cat" that you end up with a vastly inferior product to the industry set standard in place for YEARS already. Welcome to the Party Nintendo, but the flyer invite for that party was back in 2014.... it's 2017 now. maybe next time.

and penny pinching so hard, that you build the perfect machine for YOUR launch game. Now you challenge everyone else to fit in Mario's overalls better than Mario... who the overalls were tailor made for. Guess what.... it's a little tight in the crotch.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:33:39 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: January 04, 2017, 12:58:14 AM »
I get the sense that while a dedicated data port would be a big deal to me, it probably is FAR from top-of-the-mind for the average mass market consuner out there.

However, I understand that the 5ghz wifi support revealed from the recent fcc flings is actually a pretty good thing?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: January 04, 2017, 05:22:04 AM »
That's not the online service, that's a hardware thing. And with the way they approached the design of the Switch, it doesn't seem likely.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: January 04, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
Stylistically, the Switch is something I very much want to own. It's a lot more sleek and appealing than the Wii U and I get the premise immediately. I like that there will be games that I can share with others, although to what extent and what amount of the library that will be, I am unsure. I like that I will be able to play current-gen console games on it, although again, the overlap between systems is questionable. Hell, I REALLY like that I'll be able to play GCN games on it since I can think of a few that I'd love to have playable portably.

I suppose this is the point where I awkwardly admit that I've come into a sad, strange situation lately that has given me the ability to buy a Switch at launch, and while that has definitely perked up my ears regarding news and rumors related to the console, there are still fundamental issues I have with the device. All of the things I mentioned prior as exciting are all circumstantial and unlikely to pay off until late in the console's life. If all goes well, it will be a bit more manageable than the Wii U- that is all the leeway I will give the Switch at this point.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

« Reply #2906 on: January 04, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »

That's not re-inventing that we're complaining about, though. The Wii motion controls were major selling point for all of us. [That] was exciting. Let's talk about what's not exciting:

1. Gamecube: Opting for proprietary mini-discs while the rest of the market uses standard DVDs. Consequently, Gamecube discs have far less storage and are more expensive for third parties. Why not just go with the standard everyone else is happy with?

To protect their intellectual property. The mini discs were harder to pirate and Nintendo thought that third party developers would be on board with making their games harder to copy too. Love it or hate it, Nintendo is obsessed with protecting their property and with the preponderance of piracy in this day and age, I can't blame them for it.

2. Gamecube: Going with 59 Mb memory cards as the standard (and ONLY available Nintendo branded) memory card while [everyone else] has game save storage space into the megabytes. Why not just go with what has been proven to work with that generation for the past year?

I may be recalling incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo had bigger memory cards for the GC than 59 Mb, and I'm also pretty sure there were third party memory cards. I don't recall which game it was, but I know there was a game that required the larger card and that annoyed me to have to buy a new one. It worked for them, and for the most part, two memory cards were sufficient to hold all the games I played, except when the larger card came out and I bought two of those. I just looked it up: https://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-Memory-Card-251/dp/B00012D0SG

3. Wii: Going with "friend codes" that are unique to each and every game that supports online play. Want to play with your friends? Prepare to enter a GUID using a pointer for every friend code EVERY TIME you get a new game. This is majorly off-putting to everyone who has played online on PC, Xbox, or Playstation. NO ONE has EVER chosen to do online play like this before. NO ONE. Nintendo came up with this all on their own. Why not just go with the standard that has already been in place for more than a decade???

While I can't really defend Nintendo's overall online strategy, the reason for this is pretty solid: to protect the younger audience they knew they had. We, as adult gamers who love Nintendo, may hate the "kiddie" tag associated with them, and they probably don't like it either, but that doesn't change the fact that they do cater to not only a younger audience, but also an older audience of casual gamers who don't want to be dragged into the cesspool that is online gaming. Their attempt ultimately failed, but I give them credit for at least trying to do something about it.

4. Wii: Games are FINALLY on DVDs. No DVD movie playback. Why not include a hugely popular feature all other competitors offer??? I mean, F--K, I know people who don't even f--king game who bought 3 or more Wii's just to hook them to TVs and run Netflix. Seriously. Japan of all nations dictates you to make a smaller console, AND YOU GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO DENY US DVD PLAYBACK!!!!11!1

Honestly, if you still needed a DVD player in 2006, I don't know what to tell you.

5. Wii: Everyone else is offering 100+ GB storage solutions. Nintendo believes 8 GB is enough. Doh.

6. Wii U: Everyone else is offering 100+ GB storage solutions. Nintendo believes 32 GB is enough. Doh.

7. Switch: Everyone else is offering 100+ GB storage solutions. Nintendo believes 32 GB is enough. Doh.

I'm pretty sure all of that is related to saving costs and not trying to reinvent the wheel. Also, we don't know how much storage the Switch will have yet, just rumors. With a GC VC, 32GB seems a bit ridiculous. But that doesn't really go with what we're talking about.

8. Wii U: Code friends. No friend list. No party chat. No subscription service. No monthly free games for subscribers. Why not go with the hugely popular standard demonstrated by their competition a generation ago? Oh, that's right. There's only 32 GB to work with. Doh.

When Nintendo does something, they make sure and do it themselves and make sure to only do what their narrow vision requires. One the minimum is satisfied, they trim anything that might be of use to anyone outside Nintendo and make sure they aren't paying an extra penny anywhere along the way while still asking a premium price for the damn thing. I give you: Nintendo re-inventing the wheel.

The first part of this statement was already shown to be mistaken, so let's go the second part that's also a mistake. "While still asking a premium price for the damn thing". The Wii and WiiU were both underpriced compared to the competition. I wouldn't exactly call that a "premium price" in fact, it's the exact opposite in the context of the console market.

Yes. you understand what I was talking about.

trying so hard not to be a "copy-cat" that you end up with a vastly inferior product to the industry set standard in place for YEARS already. Welcome to the Party Nintendo, but the flyer invite for that party was back in 2014.... it's 2017 now. maybe next time.

and penny pinching so hard, that you build the perfect machine for YOUR launch game. Now you challenge everyone else to fit in Mario's overalls better than Mario... who the overalls were tailor made for. Guess what.... it's a little tight in the crotch.

I guess we're differing on their motivation. As I see it, they aren't trying to not be a "copy-cat", but rather doing things they feel fall within what they're trying to do, regardless of what everyone else is doing. Before the WiiU, that strategy served them very well. Now with the Switch they are conforming a little, while still pursuing their vision for what the WiiU should have been from the start. They are definitely penny pinchers, there's no denying that, but Sony and Microsoft have other streams of revenue to rely while Nintendo is only a game maker.
I am NOT MysticGohan.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: January 04, 2017, 03:27:52 PM »
8. Wii U: Code friends. No friend list. No party chat. No subscription service. No monthly free games for subscribers. Why not go with the hugely popular standard demonstrated by their competition a generation ago? Oh, that's right. There's only 32 GB to work with. Doh.

How much of an axe do you have to grind when you're trying to spin Nintendo not charging for online play as a bad thing? Free games or not, Xbox Live is a ripoff, and PSN+ is a way bigger ripoff. And it's not only 32 GB as it supports USB hard drives, which Sony still doesn't do.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2908 on: January 04, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »
%$^ Microsoft for introducing paid online to gaming (among putting a ticking time bomb that was the original 360). And ^^#% the people who so happily bent over to make it so acceptable that Sony then did it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: January 04, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »
I really don't want to pay for online multiplayer.

Putting my business hat on, I look across at Sony and MS and see the money they're raking in for paid online services and I'm jealous on that count because money is resources and the more resources Nintendo has the better positioned they'll be to make big outside the box bets on gaming that could stretch the medium, advance the artform, and possibly create more of the games that I'm a big Nintendo fan because of.

Then I take that hat off and I really, REALLY, don't want to pay just to race Mario Kart online.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2910 on: January 04, 2017, 04:29:15 PM »
Nintendo's current issue is that they don't have an online system that's actually worth paying for right now.  So, charging might be a no-go unless they can roll out some great features.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: January 04, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
Sony doesn't have an online system worth paying for right now either, but they didn't let that stop them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2912 on: January 04, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
Touche

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: January 04, 2017, 10:30:49 PM »
Dude who uses wired internet anymore? Any halfway decent wireless router can provide more bandwidth than just about any ISP (in the US, with our shitty internet, at least). It just needs at least AC support, like every other console does (now).

Edit - meh, the "unread" thing made me think I was replying to an older post. Oh well.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: January 04, 2017, 10:33:58 PM »
I read somewhere that the Switch uses 802.11AC WiFi. Maybe it was on the FCC page?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: January 04, 2017, 10:35:22 PM »
Well then that's great. There's no need to support wired internet anymore. It's 2017 bruh. Get a router from the last few years and you're good.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: January 05, 2017, 03:49:15 PM »
That all sounds cool but I live in the Caribbean and while services have improved in the last decade I still have better performance using wired connections on my consoles. I'm not disputing the effectiveness of wireless, I just want more options.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: January 05, 2017, 04:43:06 PM »
The desire for wired internet is not about speed.  It is the shorter latency and better reliability.  I don't personally use it, but I can understand why it is a must for some people when playing certain games.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: January 05, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »
The last time  :reggie: reapplied for the Eternal Darkness trademark was in 2013, the same year that Retro released their last game. Coincidence?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: January 05, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »
Yeah, Nintendo's online being free is something I feel is often overlooked. Personally, I'd rather have mediocre online than pay for anything better, and Nintendo's online is usually good enough to suit my needs. It's just too bad other people don't feel the same way. In this day and age, it's pretty easy to arrange other forms of communication in games that don't have any.

I'm worried that Nintendo will start to charge an online fee for Switch, and even worse, it won't be much better than now. And the Nintendo nuts will still pay it, but it won't go over well with anyone else.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2920 on: January 05, 2017, 08:02:24 PM »
Wii U video chat would have worked better if there was a third party multi platform chat program like skype. too bad.

And a decent camera.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: January 07, 2017, 12:56:05 AM »
The desire for wired internet is not about speed.  It is the shorter latency and better reliability.  I don't personally use it, but I can understand why it is a must for some people when playing certain games.

This. /argument

Bandwidth equals throughput. How many bits per second. We may call it "speed" but it is in fact not how fast a bit travels. Latency describes how long it takes for a packet of data to travel from source to destination, but for whatever reason we don't actually refer to this as speed.

Serious online gamers require a wired network connection.

Offline crashnnburn

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Wii U to Switch Port Edition)
« Reply #2922 on: January 07, 2017, 02:16:38 AM »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this. Being that the Switch is based off the Nvidia Shield concept and technology. What would the chances be that while you have your Switch at home, you can stream games to it from your computer using GameStream. This way all your PC library can be playable on your Switch.

This is a win win for both devs and Nintendo. Once the Switch sells like hotcakes then devs can start porting or making new games from the ground up for Switch. Nintendo wins cause all PC gamers will most likely buy the Switch too.

I don't know, I think it's a good opportunity if implemented well. The tech already works with the Shield.

And what if, since I remember correctly there was an old rumor Switch would run on Android or something like this. What if, it does have Android... And you can run anything from the google play store. Any mobile game... They can tap into ALL the market with one device. Console, handheld and mobile all in one system. I mean they are getting into the phone app game market with Dena.

Both of these would surely move Nintendo to the top in a matter of months and I think they would dominate for years to come.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: January 07, 2017, 03:06:07 AM »
The problem Nintendo woudl have with that strategy is that even though those features moved X amount of systems, it is now likely that the extra X system, plus lots of the rest of them won' t be buying Nintendo Switch Licensed games, and that is where the money in this 1st party industry is at.

The console may not be sold at a loss, but it's barely making a profit. All the money is in the license to sell the games. So if you are buying games made for the Switch, Nintendo isn't getting paid. If you are instead streaming all your PC games and playing all your free mobile games, Nintendo isn't getting paid.

Imagine how disastrous it would be for Nintendo if the only dollar they made off the majority of the Switch owners was the initial hardware purchase, and this is because everyone decided that it was better and smarter to just purchase every 3rd party game through Steam (on sale) and just stream it to the Switch.
Nintendo might get the occasional 1st party game purchase, but why bother with a 3rd party (non-exclusive) title on Switch, if I can probably get it for cheaper on Steam and play it from whatever computer I happen to own for the rest of the existence of Steam.

This causes more problems in the long term, than it solves in the short.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:10:55 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline crashnnburn

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: January 07, 2017, 03:23:32 AM »
Well that would be true for most PC gamers. Personal opinion but I think most PC gamers are console owners, but most console gamers don't do PC games so it won't really affect Nintendo negatively. And if you buy Switch is so you can take it on the go and your steam library would be worthless when you go out. The point of this is for the most amount of people to own the Nintendo Switch, you're just a tap away from purchasing their first party or third party games (if downloadable).

Not to mention the whole play together with friends on the Switch with local connected multiplayer using four Switches connected. You wouldn't be able to use that on steam games. It's just an added plus to be able to play your pc games on switch is all i'm saying.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:26:28 AM by crashnnburn »