Author Topic: State Senator Yee Not Backing Down Following Supreme Court Decision  (Read 2431 times)

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile

Yee's reaction to the Supreme Court's decision is far from one of defeat; instead, he hopes to reintroduce the law.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26992

Today, June 27, 2011, the Supreme Court decided 7-2 against a California law that would prohibit the sale or rent of violent video games to children, as well as fine the retailer $1,000 for each offense. One of the law’s main proponents, California State Senator Leland Yee, voiced his disappointment in the ruling while also claiming that the fight is not yet over.

“Unfortunately, the majority of the Supreme Court once again put the interests of corporate America before the interests of our children,” replied Senator Yee.

Yee is basing his hope on the dissenting opinion of Justice Stephen Breyer. Justice Breyer feels that the law would only act as a modest restriction of developer’s freedom of expression, noting that the law would only keep those under the age of 17 from purchasing the material without parental permission. The opinion goes on to say that the law is more about education than censorship; meaning that allowing for children to have access to violent material may cause them to act aggressively in the future.

Senator Yee praises 11 other states in their support of the law, while mentioning that he feels the past 8 years of the legal battle have raised awareness for his cause.

Yee’s current plan is to review the dissenting opinions and hopes to find a way to reintroduce the law in a way that will be deemed constitutional.

James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Senator Yee Not Backing Down in Lieu of Supreme Court Decision
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »
Yee sure is persistent. Gotta give him that.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: State Senator Yee Not Backing Down in Lieu of Supreme Court Decision
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:31:39 PM »
Yeah, this definitely isn't over, not when some of the Supreme Court Justices that ruled against the Bill stated it was because of vague language.  I think we'll see another bill passed in the near future with more specific language that will be more problematic for the industry.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:32:25 PM »
“Unfortunately, the majority of the Supreme Court once again put the interests of corporate America before the interests of our children,”
How can any Senator say that with a straight face.  Judicial is one of the better branches... with Congress being the segment most in Corporate pockets... blah...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:20 AM »
“Unfortunately, the majority of the Supreme Court once again put the interests of corporate America before the interests of our children,”
How can any Senator say that with a straight face.  Judicial is one of the better branches... with Congress being the segment most in Corporate pockets... blah...
Yeah, that was the part of his statement that I felt was the most ironic. I generally support the political left in this country, but it seems that they are too often in favor of using censorship as a method of parenting. Though, I guess both parties are to blame.
James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:31:01 AM »
Lemme fix that title for you...

"State Senator Yee Not Backing Down On Wasting Taxpayer Funds in Lieu of Supreme Court Decision".
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Xero!

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 02:13:03 AM »
Guy is a moron. Full stop.

Offline crashnnburn

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
And this will stop parents from buying mature games to their children how exactly?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »
Please take care of Senator Yee! We are all confused children and we need you to tell us what to do!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: State Senator Yee Not Backing Down Following Supreme Court Decision
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
I meant to post this earlier. Yee is currently a frontrunner for mayor of San Francisco. I'm not sure what that would mean for the bill reintroduction if he does win.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: State Senator Yee Not Backing Down Following Supreme Court Decision
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 10:37:52 PM »
San Francisco does like banning things.