Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals Pokémon Fire/Leaf Pre-Order Bonus  (Read 4733 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Nintendo Reveals Pokémon Fire/Leaf Pre-Order Bonus
« on: July 29, 2004, 08:34:57 AM »
Gotta pre-order 'em all!

CATCH 'EM EARLY: GET A FREE POKÉMON GIFT

Pre-Order Pokémon Games and Receive Exclusive Guide to the World of Pokémon

REDMOND, Wash., July 29, 2004 – Once again, it pays to be a fast-acting Pokémon® fan. Starting Aug. 1, fans and interested novices who place a deposit to reserve a copy of Pokémon FireRed or Pokémon LeafGreen for Game Boy® Advance at participating retailers will immediately receive the Pokémon Pocket Trainer's Guide – a handy reference guide for seasoned players or a tutorial for beginners.

The guide provides detailed Pokémon facts and information about the various characters, perfect for an introduction to the Pokémon universe, yet enough to satisfy even the most rabid Pokémaniacs. The Pokémon Pocket Trainer's Guide includes stats about each of the 17 types of Pokémon, suggestions about how to find them, evolve and battle them, plus a beautiful, full-color map of the Kanto region. Guides are pocket-sized and easily portable with the Game Boy Advance.

Fans will receive another bonus when the games arrive in stores on Sept. 7. Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen will come bundled with the new Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter, which lets players trade, battle and chat with one another with no connecting cords. Each game will sell at an MSRP of $39.99.

The Pokémon franchise remains as popular as ever. Pokémon has sold more than 128 million video games worldwide, accounting for more than $4 billion in sales. For several weeks in early 2004, Pokémon Colosseum™, made exclusively for Nintendo GameCube™, and its pre-sell bonus disk outsold every software title and video game console on Amazon.com. And in Japan, Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen sold more than 2.5 million units in just over three months.

Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen offer never-before-seen features, including Union Rooms, hubs for social game play where up to 40 players can meet and chat wirelessly to trade and battle Pokémon or just make conversation using chat functions. The games also feature a more colorful and easier-to-use Pokédex that lets users sort their Pokémon in a variety of different ways.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
RE:Nintendo Reveals Pokémon Fire/Leaf Pre-Order Bonus
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 08:51:03 AM »
Oh no they did not just raise the price!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Reveals Pokémon Fire/Leaf Pre-Order Bonus
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 08:56:54 AM »
Wireless adapter included...That's why...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline StrikerObi

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 08:58:55 AM »
It was included for FREE in Japan. We got hosed.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 09:59:50 AM »
F*ck that price.  You know all those complaints I make about annual sports games and how they rip off the fans?  Well all of that applies to Nintendo when it comes to the Pokemon franchise.  It's hard to believe Pokemon is made by the same company that makes Zelda.  Four Swords Adventures came with a link cable and it was an original game and I bought it new for LESS than the usual Cube game price.  And to make things worse the wireless adapter is a rip-off in itself since games have to be programmed to use it instead of working with all link cable games like it SHOULD.

Pokemon + overpriced NES collection = Nintendo abusing their handheld monopoly.  As much as I don't care for Sony I'm glad there's going to be some competition in the market to keep this sort of stuff down.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 10:55:02 AM »
     The reason why it's also a high price is because this new entry (old?) has alot more features added to it.  The ability to play with wireless is one, but there are also new regions to the Kanto area.  Not to mention creating new sprites for everything in the game, that kinda takes a little bit of time.  Also, why make them cheaper than the Ruby and Sapphire ones?  If that was the case, everyone would skip on the old (new?) ones to get these new (old?) ones.  It makes sense to a business strategy, "why buy the cow when the milk is for free?"  I do see your drift though about it being ridiculous about the wireless adapter, but then with this, that means that they're actually compatible, and what's the point of adding wireless to a game, if people don't even own the prephiral?  Adding it in was a great idea, even if it did skyrocket the price 10 measley dollars.  Not bad for something that costs 10$ to get but still has wires.
    The thing about Sony stopping this won't help, because Sony is doing something even worse!!  "Oh let's put GT4 on the PSP AND PS2 and hope people will buy them both!!!"  They're gonna sodomize the handheld industry just like they bastardized the gaming industry with their "Play"Station.  BAH!! More like "I'm Sony, GIVE ME SOME MONEY!!"Station.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 11:35:45 AM »
"Also, why make them cheaper than the Ruby and Sapphire ones?"

I don't think anyone is asking for that.  It's just that Japan didn't have to pay more and we do.  That's bullsh!t.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 12:25:41 PM »
They never have to pay as much as us (well, here in The States at least).  That's the way the economy works, domestic lands get it cheaper, foreign lands get it more expensive...simple as that.  If you don't like it, don't buy it...or as you said, you're in a position to spend money and not worry about it (quote from that Trading Games thread).
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 12:29:54 PM »
I meant they don't pay more in relation to the prices of other Japanese GBA titles.  It has nothing to do with the economy or country.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 01:59:53 PM »
Actually it does, that'd be like saying that because a Dell is made in America (in Round Rock mind you) that it's going to sell for equal price in Taiwan.  Whatever, it'd be much more than you think it is...it's not very easy to ship products, especially when it's a bulk of them (i.e. games)  They have to find a way to make profit some way.  That's just not gonna happen if they sell it for 30$.  If that was the case, why don't they sell Viewtiful Joe or Metal Gear Solid 2 for 10 dollars (yes you can find them used for that much) but the point is they just can't.  With the steady decline of the gaming market over there, and the rise of it here, might as well try to make as much bang for your buck instead of trying to please the public.  People are sheep, they do what you tell them to do.  If you set something for 40$, people are oging to buy it no matter what.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 02:29:27 PM »
$40? I thought we were done with $40 games after the GBA's launch. I still want a copy though, so I'm going to keep my eyes open for deals when the game launches. I actually got Pokemon Sapphire on it's release date, brand new, with free player's guide, for only about $23. I'm hoping to find a similar deal again.

And I do agree with SgtShiversBen's comments about the shrinking game market in Japan. The decision to sell the PKMN games for $40 here in the states probably came from NCL, not NOA (I seem to remember a rumor about NCL actually wanting to charge a full $30 for the NES Classics and NOA had to talk them down to $20)

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 04:21:38 PM »
Ian, japan didn't have to pay more, thats correct.
Japan also has to pay roughly $50 for every single GBA game, either way, we get a better deal.  Stop your damn bitching.

Likewise, i'm a pokemon whore, so i'll be reserving my copy shortly.  Full color map of kanto is going up on my wall. w00t.  

Offline StrikerObi

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 07:35:06 PM »
In Japan
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire... 4,800 Yen
Pokemon Fire/Leaf... 4,800 Yen

In America
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire... $35
Pokemon Fire/Leaf... $40

They got the wireless adaptor for free. Fire/Leaf costs the same as Ruby/Saph and also comes with a wireless adaptor
We have to pay extra for it. Fire/Leaf costs $5 more than Ruby/Saph does, so we're basically paying $5 more and getting a wireless adaptor that should be free.

Shipping costs are not enough to effect the MSRP by $5. It certainly doesn't cost them $5 to ship each wireless adaptor.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 11:06:32 PM »
Obi: Ever tried converting those Yen amounts to US dollars? The USD price for GBA games is so low they can't afford throwing in freebies.

Offline Antti

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 03:07:49 AM »
Why do you americans have to always complain about the prices of games? Don't you really understand how cheap you get them? The Japanese have to pay way more than you, but that's nothing compared to Europe. You propably don't know that  standard GBA games cost about 55-60 Euros in here, and if you don't know, as you propably don't, that's about 70 $. And you start crying when you get a game with added accessories for 40 $.

And that 4800 Yen is about 44 $ BTW.
Teillä raukoilla ei ole aavistustakaan mitä tässä lukee.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2004, 05:49:44 AM »
Antti: The exact price is regional, most of the world (that includes most european countries) pays around 50 USD for GBA games, though. In both Germany and France GBA games go for 40-45 Euros and Gamecube games go for 55-60 Euros. Maybe where you live the prices are higher (from what I heard about the northern countries, they are). For some reason the "out of the way" countries (North European countries, New Zealand, South American countries, etc) are more expensive in regards to games, might be related to logistics or something. Cheaper countries don't get them cheaper, though, in the Czech Republic games cost the same as in Germany...

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2004, 07:28:15 AM »
Its only 5 dollars more than previously thought. I can scrape that much up out of change stuck in between the seats of my car. =P
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline Antti

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2004, 09:44:03 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Antti: The exact price is regional, most of the world (that includes most european countries) pays around 50 USD for GBA games, though. In both Germany and France GBA games go for 40-45 Euros and Gamecube games go for 55-60 Euros. Maybe where you live the prices are higher (from what I heard about the northern countries, they are). For some reason the "out of the way" countries (North European countries, New Zealand, South American countries, etc) are more expensive in regards to games, might be related to logistics or something. Cheaper countries don't get them cheaper, though, in the Czech Republic games cost the same as in Germany...

Yes, you are propably right, but I think that logistics is not very good explanation for that extra 30$ because I can order a game for example from America and get it with very small shipping cost, sometimes even without any. I think that shipping single games is propably way more expensive than shipping many games at a time.

The real reason is propably that North America is much larger and more important market, so all the three companies are fighting harder for market share there and it keeps the prices lower.

USA is also one big market, not a bunch of smaller separate markets that all need own importers, marketing and language translations. In Finland only very few games are translates into finnish though, and those are mostly ment for smaller children. Manuals are translated more often.

Third reason, and quite a big one, is of course the fast dropping of dollars value.
Teillä raukoilla ei ole aavistustakaan mitä tässä lukee.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2004, 10:50:52 PM »
The US prices were set before the dollar crashed, they couldn't raise them to make up for the weaker dollar because it would cause a backlash from the US market. Back when the Euro prices were set to 60 for a GC game that was the equivalent of 50 USD. Then the dollar dropped from 1.20 EUR to 0.80 EUR and suddently the GC games costed the equivalent of 70 USD in Europe. I think only the 50M+ countries get their own translations (back in the NES age all games were untranslated even in Germany), the rest gets told to put up or shut up. I have no idea why prices are higher in Finland, but maybe large scale logistics behave different from small scale logistics or something. Anyway, I agree, importing from the US is CHEAP!

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 03:18:59 AM »
Agreed. Like, two new release GBA games from the US is cheaper than one GBA game here. Especially if it's a Yu-Gi-Oh game. Jam your $90 price tags, Atari.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2004, 02:45:47 AM »
Oh are we angsting about price in this thread? In on that angst, regional PAL angst too, which crushes scissors (we have two connundrums apparently) Boktai is $80 AU here, fun.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2004, 03:34:56 AM »
The UK seems to get it well because of the currency. Most new games are £35-£40.
I found a bargain online and got Viewtiful Joe brand new for £15, so I'm happy.

WOO.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2004, 04:57:06 AM »
ITEM                   UK Price       AU Price     US Price
GC Game             $72.87        $70.22        $50
GBA Game           $63.76         $49.15        $30

Prices are based on RRPs and all in US dollars.

The US gets games before the UK and Australia and get them for much cheaper, GBA GAMES ARE HALF THE PRICE IN THE US THAN IN THE UK. Plugabugz, 15 pounds is $27.33. You were paying just under the US price.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2004, 05:40:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Jale
ITEM                   UK Price       AU Price     US Price
GC Game             $72.87        $70.22        $50
GBA Game           $63.76         $49.15        $30

Prices are based on RRPs and all in US dollars.

The US gets games before the UK and Australia and get them for much cheaper, GBA GAMES ARE HALF THE PRICE IN THE US THAN IN THE UK. Plugabugz, 15 pounds is $27.33. You were paying just under the US price.

Actually, he was talking about viewtiful Joe, which is very possible to find for $20 in america.

So, he actually paid 7.33 more.