Author Topic: Soccer Discussion: 1.67% Chance of Being the Best Thread on the NWR Forums  (Read 228007 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Soccer Discussion: Fast kickin', low scorin', and ties!
« Reply #425 on: November 13, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »
The road to Russia kicked off tonight with the U.S. playing its first World Cup qualifying match against noted international powerhouse St. Vincent and the Grenadines. An ugly start put the U.S. behind 1-0,  but the game unsurprisingly ended up finishing 6-1 in favor of the United States.

Jozy Altidore's two goals tied and then took sole possession of 4th all-time in scoring for the U.S. from Brian McBride, and Matt Miazga and Darlington Nagbe made their USMNT debuts, officially tying them to the United States forever, so suck it, Poland and Liberia!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 21, 2016, 09:10:48 PM »
The U.S. has drawn a pretty tough draw for this summer's Copa America. Paraguay, Costa Rica and Colombia. If we can round back into form and move away from the awful 2015 we should be able to get out of the group, but it's rough. I'm hoping to be able to be there in person for the game against Costa Rica in Chicago.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:37 AM »
Welp, MLS sucks.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2016, 10:13:25 PM »
We're only two weeks into the MLS season, but we've already got the Goal of the Year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 11, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
Can someone please explain why MLS allowed Nigel de Jong to play here, much less pay him actual money to end careers?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #430 on: April 11, 2016, 08:09:36 PM »
Everybody needs a heel.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 12, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »
Everybody needs a heel.

And the Galaxy needed to cement their status as that. They signed a guy who'd previously **** all over the league in Ashley Cole (though, to his credit, he has so far been a model citizen), as well as a guy with so extensive a history of this kind of tackle that Darlington Nagbe wasn't the first U.S. national team midfielder to be a victim of his.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 15, 2016, 12:13:39 PM »
US Soccer sabotaging itself. Anything to fire Klinsmann I guess...

« Reply #433 on: April 19, 2016, 11:02:43 AM »
While I think its time for Klinsy to be replaced i would rather have it happen after a disappointing World Cup performance than getting knocked out at the Hex.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 19, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »
I doubt he'll be the coach past this cycle regardless of what happens. Going nearly two full cycles is a long time in the world of national team managers, and I expect him to step down from the job (at least the manager role, he may stay on as technical director) after Russia even if we do well.

Also, American soccer has had many players who were purported to be our savior, the first real world class player who will usher in a new era, most notably the tragic case of Freddy Adu, but Christian Pulisic may be the real thing. 17 year old from Hershey, PA who's getting significant minutes at one of the best clubs in the world and looking damn good in them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 02, 2016, 06:24:49 PM »
They really did it, Leicester City won the Premier League, with time to spare. The greatest Cinderella story in sports history, nearly relegated last season, 5000 to 1 odds to start the year. We're probably never going to see anything like this again.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 03, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »
Just over three hours until the start of Copa America. If Klinsmann continues to be relatively sane and consistent in his formation and positioning this can be a very successful tournament for the U.S.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 06, 2016, 07:37:39 PM »
Just a few days into the tournament and we're already hearing strong rumblings that CONCACAF and CONMEBOL want to do this every four years, merging the Gold Cup and Copa America, to form a true championship of the Americas. That would be incredible.

J.P. Corbran

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 07, 2016, 06:50:29 PM »
I saw that too. It would be fantastic. The Uruguayan FA president is already making noises that it favors Mexico to the detriment of the SA teams, but obviously everyone can make a whole lot more money with the US and Mexico involved. I wonder how the SA fans would feel. I imagine it's more expensive to travel to and in the US, but it's probably more convenient.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 07, 2016, 11:18:46 PM »
The U.S. and Mexico would win big by getting better competition to hone their skills, and the South American countries (and everybody else as well) bring in a lot more money. It's easy to see the benefits of the proposal.

Also, like I said in the hype thread, I was at tonight's USA-Costa Rica match, the first USMNT game I've seen in person, and I very much enjoyed the absolute thumping we gave them, especially with my favorite player Clint Dempsey become only the second American to score 50 career goals for the national team.

J.P. Corbran

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 08, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »
Great game to be at, that's cool. I haven't seen them live since Tony Meola was in goal, lol. This isn't the same Costa Rica team that did so well in the last World Cup, but this is still the best I can remember seeing the USMNT play since 2013. Assuming everything goes as expected, the Brazil game should tell us a lot about where they are. Every time I lose faith in Klinsmann, they seem to go on a little run.

Man, I love watching James Rodriguez play. He was doing well under Ancelloti until he got hurt, and hasn't really replicated that form at club level since (to the point where he can barely get a run out). It's obstensibly because of his defense, but he seemed to me to be working his ass off towards the end of the La Liga season. I'd love if Zidane could find a way to get him on the field playing like he does for Columbia, but I think he is going to be sold.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 08, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
The U.S. team has always played best when the pressure's on. They'll dig themselves a hole and then rise to the occasion to get themselves out of it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 10, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
Looking forward to the Euros starting today. I actually preferred this tournament slightly to the World Cup before it expanded. The field is still deep, but nearly half of group stage games used to be knock-out quality. Still an outstanding tournament though. It's hard for me to see anyone but France, Germany, or Belgium winning. Spain has the talent but looks in poor form, and is affected by the deep champions league runs their players make every year. England looked great in qualifying, less so now, and I don't have faith in Hodgson. I can see Portugal and Croatia being competitive, but they don't have nearly the depth of those other teams. I'm not sure what to make of Italy because I don't follow Seire A and they are in a period of transition. The majority of Juve's stars are not Italian.

Edit: I've been second guessing myself about Spain all morning. That roster is just so good. But there is some crazy news breaking abut De Gea being linked to sexual assaults. Casillas seems a big liability.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:47:04 PM by rygar »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 11, 2016, 09:21:48 PM »
U.S. through to the quarterfinals with a 1-0 win over Paraguay, despite terrible officiating and playing almost the full second half down a man.

John Brooks is just ridiculously good. I broke down and bought a new USMNT jersey the other day and went with him, only to see him somehow get even better after already being our best player in this tournament.

EDIT: And Costa Rica shows there were no hard feelings from Tuesday's throttling and does us the favor of beating Colombia in their final game, meaning the United States of America just won their group!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:19:22 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 12, 2016, 09:01:20 AM »
Wow, what a difference a week makes. I can't believe the US was able to overcome the goal differential and Costa Rica got the win. The Brazil-Colombia game was one of the best of the last World Cup, so that's a crazy QF matchup assuming Brazil wins today. I am definitely not taking Peru for granted (I admittedly don't know much about them other than Pizzaro) but this conceivably sets up US-ARG, MEX-BRA semis.

I also think it was very important that it was a CONCACAF team knocking off Colombia that made the difference. If the US "stole" the group just by making up the goal differential through trouncing another CONCACAF team, I think there would have been some grumblings. MLS has really been a boom to CONCACAF even if it isn't necessarily (yet) providing the upper elechon competition the US and Mexico needs.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 12, 2016, 09:58:38 AM »
I still think Colombia is there with Argentina as the best team in the tournament. I have no faith in this Brasil B-Team and I think Colombia can totally take them out. Ecuador should come out as the second team in the group and that will be a nice challenge for the US. Mexico still hasn't **** the bed which means they still have a great chance to do so. This could actually work in Colombia's favor as they now would meet Argentina in the finals instead of the semis.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 12, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »
Mexico tried to **** the bed against Jamaica, Jamaica just couldn't finish the many chances they gave them. If they defend like that in the knockout round they'll lose.

J.P. Corbran

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 12, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
I misread the remaining games and didnt realize Equador could still plausibly qualify. It's going to be a tough opponent regardless.

Thursday should be great. I'm going to DVR Wales-England and make it a double header. I would have watched the Germany-Poland game too, but I don't think I can also get that in between work and the US kick.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 12, 2016, 10:40:45 PM »
This may be CONMEBOL’s tournament, but Brazil just got CONCACAFed. All that delay, all that deliberation, and they still got the call wrong.

EDIT: Seriously, though, even though it was an awful call, Brazil didn't deserve to advance. They beat the hell out of Haiti, as any of the 15 other teams would have been expected to, but they didn't score in their two matches against real opponents. Even considering the guys who were missing, this was a terrible performance from them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:44:11 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 16, 2016, 11:59:21 PM »
BRING IT ON, ARGENTINA! JOHN "THE BERLIN WALL" BROOKS IS GOING TO HAVE MESSI IN HIS POCKET THE WHOLE GAME!

J.P. Corbran