Author Topic: Soccer Discussion: 1.67% Chance of Being the Best Thread on the NWR Forums  (Read 228057 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Soccer Discussion: Fast kickin', low scorin', and ties!
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »
In all seriousness, though, I was very impressed that a team that only had two days to practice together not just held their own but outplayed what may be the best club in the world right now. The level of play in MLS has increased substantially in the last few years, and this performance reflects that. The coming years look to continue that with new teams and a huge TV deal. It's a great time to be a fan of MLS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »
In a pretty surprising turn, Landon Donovan, holder of both the MLS and US national team all-time scoring records, has announced he will be retiring at the end of this season.

Now as someone who could barely tolerate him on the national team and couldn't stand him at all when he was with the Galaxy, I'm actually pretty happy about this, because **** him.

The second half of the season, being his farewell tour, is set up to be so damn obnoxious. I was already hating the fuss over Derek Jeter's last year, and now I have to deal with this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »
I'm going to try really hard not to turn this into the "**** Landon Donovan" thread, but damn. Two months after being so pissed at being cut he cheered against his own country he's lost all passion for the game. That's just plain ridiculous, and also exactly the kind of thing you'd expect to come from him.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
I was definitely surprised by the retirement announcement. That being said, he hasn't been a main fixture at all during Klinnsman's tenure. I can't say that I am going to miss him.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2014, 02:04:54 AM »
He wasn't a fixture under Klinsmann because Klinsmann wasn't putting up with his bullshit. His "sabbatical" really rubbed Klinsmann the wrong way, and that seems to have been a big part of what kept him off the World Cup team (well, that and the fact he really wasn't playing very well at the time).

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 14, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »
To cap off what has been a hell of a summer for the kid, DeAndre Yedlin, US intenational and Seattle Sounders homegrown player, has been transferred to English Premier League team Tottenham Hotspur for a fee of $3.5 million. He'll remain with the Sounders for the remainder of 2014 while they win the US Open Cup, MLS Cup, and MLS Supporters' Shield.

While I honestly don't really see how the deal makes sense for him, the league, or the USMNT, I'm very happy for him and hope he makes the most of it. There's a long history of young American players moving to Europe and for various reasons never making the most of their abilities.

I'm very seriously considering switching EPL allegiences because of this move, but I suppose I'll wait and see if he actually sees any playing time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
Tim Howard’s taking a self-imposed break from the US national team, an interesting move considering how it went last time somebody did that.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2014, 06:51:02 PM »
Not to mention that Brad Guzan is more than capable of being the #1 guy between the posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2014, 07:01:13 PM »
Given their ages, Guzan's likely only going to get better going forward, while Howard will at best stay at the same level. And a year ago there was serious talk Guzan might win the starting job in Brazil anyway. Because of this Guzan will get the call in next summer's Gold Cup, which might set up a serious questiom as to who will start in Copa America in 2016.

Howard says this isn't a retirement from the national team, and he'd better hope Jurgen Klinsmann won't make it one.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2014, 02:38:45 AM »
FC Dallas went down a man late in the first half in a then-scoreless game on a pretty soft call, but still managed to beat Real Salt Lake 2-1. Really wish I hadn't stopped watching at the half figuring it wouldn't be that competitive anymore. This creates a three-way tie at the top of the Western Conference between Seattle, Salt Lake and Dallas, which should be crazy to watch down the stretch.

If it's possible to add more meaning to Sunday's Cascadia derby between Seattle and Portland, this does it. The Sounders need to right the ship to convince everyone and themselves that they're still legit title contenders, and Portland needs every point they can get in what now seems like a two-horse race between them and Vancouver for the final playoff spot in the West.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 24, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
Obafemi Martins cannot be stopped. Here's a clip of him singlehandedly beating five defenders en route to scoring.

Next time, Portland, you'd better send six.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #261 on: August 27, 2014, 11:43:44 PM »
Jermaine Jones looks super excited in a New England Revolution jersey LOL!! ;D

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:55 AM »
There's a reason he said they had to pay him more if he went to the Revs. They may be better right now, but with Mike Magee, Harry Shipp and Sean Johnson Chicago's a team with a DC United-style rebound in them. I'm still surprised Chivas wasn't in on the blind draw, though, I was sure trading Mauro Rosales was specifically done to open up a DP slot to go after him.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »
Really haven't been keeping up with this year's MLS season.

Arsenal is off to a good start this season being on upper range of the table after two games.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »
I feel like Chivas USA is an abyss. I remember that's where Carlos Bocanegra went..... I never hear about the guy ever.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2014, 07:14:19 PM »
Whoever takes over the team has a decent amount to work with. Cubo Torres is a beast, and if they can get a couple more guys around him they could pull a Toronto and become not terrible for the first time in team history in fairly short order. If Beckham takes them over (and thus avoids the black hole that is Miami) we could see a pretty epic LA rivalry in a couple years.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #266 on: August 30, 2014, 09:47:11 PM »
Didn't realize they released the roster for the upcoming friendly against the Czech Republic. Good opponent. Also, a collegiate player was also called up to the squad! That was a huge surprise.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 30, 2014, 10:01:39 PM »
Jordan Morris, aka The Future(tm). First college player called up to the first team in like 20 years.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »
Man I'm not sure Toronto could've done a worse job if they were trying. They've got talent, but always seem to underperform, and now there are rumblings that both Defoe and Bradley want out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:49:54 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #269 on: September 06, 2014, 03:08:46 AM »
I was aware of Defoe but not Bradley. Bradley got one hell of a deal to come back and play in MLS. I'm not sure if there is another team out there who would be willing to pick up his contract. Unless he is willing to take a pay cut.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2014, 07:58:43 PM »
I'm not surprised. When only 2 players have played at a much higher level you think everyone else can keep up?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2014, 08:11:28 PM »
I was aware of Defoe but not Bradley. Bradley got one hell of a deal to come back and play in MLS. I'm not sure if there is another team out there who would be willing to pick up his contract. Unless he is willing to take a pay cut.

LA's going to have an open DP slot after this season, and they could certainly afford him.

EDIT: Also, Chicago. After missing out on Jermaine Jones they might go after him.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:14:27 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »
In Euro qualification news the Czech Republic beat the Dutch 2-1 today. How does this relate to the USA? Last week we beat the Czech Republic 1-0 in a match. This confirms that we are finally better than the Netherlands!!! Onward to Russia!! :cool;

« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2014, 06:50:11 PM »

LA's going to have an open DP slot after this season, and they could certainly afford him.

EDIT: Also, Chicago. After missing out on Jermaine Jones they might go after him.
Being a Chicago fan, not only would that be awesome, but maybe they can try and get his father Bob to coach us again!!........In my dreams.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »
You add him to a team with guys like Mike Magee and young talent like Harry Shipp they might have D.C. United-style worst-to-first jump in them.

J.P. Corbran