Author Topic: Connectivity to Revolution?  (Read 4430 times)

Offline notic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Connectivity to Revolution?
« on: July 29, 2004, 03:46:16 PM »
I'm not sure but will there be another link cable between the DS and Revolution? I hope it's a wireless connection. Can someone please clarify this?
Check one two~Who got more style than son do

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
RE: Connectivity to Revolution?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 05:19:12 PM »
I would not doubt a wireless connection, I was thinking that myself.  As usual nintendo is being very secretive with their plans, so I doubt that we will know untill E3 2005.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 05:35:03 PM »
Um look at the DS itself and think.

Now that you're done thinking do you seriously think it needs connection with the Revolution?  Nintendo just said they woudn't.  The DS is the same concept as the GBA-GCN connectivity.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

RE:Connectivity to Revolution?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 10:35:22 PM »
THE DS WONT LINK UP TO REVOLUTION THE GBA 2 WILL THOUGH ITS OFFICAL

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 10:56:11 PM »
that's rich, coming from a skeleton

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 11:18:16 PM »
i was only jokeing but seriously there will be no connectivity

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 11:32:40 PM »
Ya, as if you would know...
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 12:50:36 AM »
what is that meant to mean?

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 03:16:20 AM »
...no, no, continue, this is sickly amusing...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 09:08:08 AM »
You know I hope there is.  

The DSs Wireless adapter could easily connect wirelessly to the Revolution.  By the time the Revolution is out the DS will be in many, many peoples homes, and it will not need extra hardware to work.  This could provide an additional controller for Revolution with a unique control style.  

Nintendo right now is saying that the DS is its third pillar.  I think this is in part because it is an experiment.  Nintendo wasn't going to risk a failure with the Gameboy name which holds so much promise and power.  

So Nintendo will release the DS.  With its compatability with the GBA it can easily become an inbetween system that will buy Nintendo time for hardware prices to drop to create a very capable and powerful GBA2.  Also it allows Nintendo to study the market.  Does Microphone games sell, or does that option allow for better game design, and so on.  Everything that works will probably be incorportated into the GBA2, everything that does not will be scrapped.

Revolution interests me because of its mystery.  What can Nintendo truely produce that would be a revolution in hardware design?

In the end, it is going to have to come down to its controller, because everything else technology wise is being worked on.  I predict Nintendo is going to design the Revolution with a controller that has main multi-purpose input devices incorporated into the controller.  Revolution will have the Microphone, perhaps a camera, will be wireless, perhaps even some new type of analog input device.  But it will be all in one.  That is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 10:38:28 AM »
Peas, when did Spak show up...god, Ian, you have a challenger...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 11:45:43 AM »
Actually I showed up two days ago.  I used to be on IGN boards, until they went pay.  I haven't been on any chatrooms for awhile...but decided to give this one a try.  I have come to a point where this is my favorite site to actually get Nintendo news.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 05:20:22 PM »
I'm fine with any connectivity just as long as it stays an option that can only excite the player if he/she happens to have both parts.  GCN and GBA.  If he/she doesn't then they can easily forget about it.  Don't put so much focus on it Nintendo!  Wind Waker was a good example.  The option was there and it was a cool feature but not enough to make me go cry cry poo poo like FFCC.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 09:43:02 PM »
Draygaia: FFCC wasn't made for you, it ws made for the people who complained that connectivity was just an unnecessary gimmick in most games. There are games that are online-only, there are games that are connectivity-only.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 12:22:54 PM »
But you see when you only have one mode or when the game is meant to be played in a certain mode you lessen your audience.  Its more like Nintendo wanted everybody to try this.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2004, 01:36:38 PM »
Well you could have played on one player, where you dont need a GBA.

I don't think that the DS will connect to the Revoltion, I think it will connect to the GBA2

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 09:58:46 AM »
Didn't I hear something a while back about Bluetooth on the DS?  I dont remember if it was actually implemented or if it was just a rumor.  If it was implemented, then the DS could talk to the Revolution, the GBA2  and whatever other Nintendo products that are released that use Bluetooth, like that camera thing people are speculating about or a keyboard.  Thats what makes sense to me.  I do not think that we're going to be seeing a whole lot of wires in the future.  

And my bet is that Revolution has 4 wireless controllers that use ion-lithium batteries like cell phones do and they hook up to the revolution or some other piece of hardware to charge when you're not using them.  But thats just speculation on my part.   But it would make it easier to use the DS or GBA2 as a controller for the Revolution right out of the box w/o the need for an adapter wire for whatever reason.  Sports games on revoltion where you could program your moves in with the DS touch screen maybe?  Again, more speculation. And if there is Bluetooth, it would be all so easy....

-Blue
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »
I don't think that it has Bluetooth per-se. It does feature 'Nintendo's own Communications Protocol'. I think that means those wireless things that you get with Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red are built into the DS.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2004, 11:26:22 AM »
So it works like that LinkSYS stuff?

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2004, 02:51:40 PM »
Heh, that "linksys" stuff.  LinkSys is a company, albeit a very good company IMO.  Its what they make, wireless routers, is what you are thinking about.  Wireless routers take the cable or dsl line from the wall and take the signal coming from those lines and broadcast it, generally in an area big enough for a medium sized house. That signal then is picked up by wireless adapters, wireless cards and electronics with those devices built into them, i.e. some new laptops, palm pilots, and the DS.  Basically, what this means is no more LAN wires.

Blue tooth is similar I suppose, but it doesn't connect to the internet really.  It creates a "home network" or intranet. (not INTERnet).  Basically, all bluetooth devices take in and send signals to other bluetooth compatible devices in a given area automatically.

Its kind of hard to explain in a non-tech way, but I tried.
-Blue
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 04:48:35 AM »
The biggest problem with Connectivity so far was that 3rd party developers wouldn't support it because they didn't know how many people would actually take advantage.

If the DS takes off, and wireless is built in where it can instantly connect to the Revolution, then connectivity will be less of a problem.  

The Gamebody Advance connectivity seemed like a gimmick until the new Zelda game.  The problem with the Zelda game is, it asks for 4 GBAs to be at the same house at the same time.  Same problem with Crystal Chronicles.  If a killer app could be made to use connectivity smartly for a single player experience then we could see the real power of connectivity.  This hasn't happened yet.

I hope it does one day, but I am not holding my breath.  Not until the Revolution comes out...and even then, only if I have the Hiccups.