Author Topic: Originally posted by: dead718  (Read 4649 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Originally posted by: dead718
« on: July 26, 2004, 04:34:43 AM »
"...you know nintendo made it clunky so a year after it comes out they can make us buy the sleeker DS-SP for only have the price..."

I feel the need to make a whole thread about this one quote for my own amusement.  This thread is full of questions...will Nintendo really release a DS SP?  Is that two many letters for our young society to handle?  What in hell does "SP" even mean?  Hopefully you, the public, can answer these questions on...

Edit; I edit messages because I'm a moderator.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
RE: Possible DS SP?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 06:14:36 AM »
Wasn't the SP released to address the lack of front/back lit light on the original GBA?  That won't be an issue with the DS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 08:14:10 AM »
SP = Super Pricey
SCPH = Sony Component Proprietary Hell

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 08:32:50 AM »
The SP corrected a problem with the GBA that people complained about before it was even released.  I don't know if that was Nintendo's plan all along or if they just saw this complaint as an opportunity to release something better and make more money.  Regardless of their intentions is does piss me off that I'm stuck with a GBA that is essentially completely useless as a portable device.  I got burned by buying the GBA at launch as I did with buying the Cube at launch (slim release schedule followed by price drop = extra cost to play SSBM for six months).  So I plan on buying the DS at least six months after launch just to wait and see.  Even if they don't release a "DS SP" odds are they will drop the price at some point or have some sort of deal like a free game that will be worth waiting for.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 10:41:37 AM »
SP means special.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Qwerty

• View Profile
RE:Possible DS SP?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 11:24:37 AM »
Sp measns sony portable.
that just plain JEWISH!!!

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 11:28:06 AM »
no qwerty that is the PSP, the sp is nintys handheld
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 03:13:48 PM »
I doubt they "made it clunky" on purpose.
I don't think they are in a situation where they can just screw around with consumers because they know they own the market.
The PSP is a serious threat to their marketshare, I would think they would want to pull out all the stops on releasing a product that just hits on all cylinders and crushes the threat of an actual competitor in the market.
The SP, however, I dont know. They released it in a very coincidental time frame when the Afterburner GBA light kit was getting pub in all the game media outlets.
Their official story is that in the R&D phase for the first GBA, it was concluded that a light in the unit would drive the price beyond what Nintendo was willing to enter the market at (the GBA Dark originally retailed at $99). Subsequently, two years later R&D decided the technology/price ratio was suitable to introduce that feature among other new features in the SP.
It makes sense, and I want to believe them...  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 03:23:13 PM »
How could Nintendo possibly change the DS beyond a simple redesign? The thing is already chocked full of features, as opposed to the GBA, which was strangely devoid of them, warranting the effort to rerelease it with added functionality.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 03:51:54 PM »
What Im wondering is how much this first design will change from what we have seen, if at all beyond a simple slot for the stylus.
Because if they dont at least improve the face buttons and D-Pad (size and/or tactile response) I'll kind od want a DS SP ;p

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 06:43:24 PM »
First of all you have to take into account that the SP didn't arrive until 2 yrs after the original GBA was released.

As for the DS's physical design, I have realized my beliefs:
1) Should Nintendo 'tweak' the DS's design? A: Yes, certainly.
2) Do you trust Nintendo to do it? A: No, not really.

Again for the possibility of an SP edition, we need to think of two factors: Need and Cost.  What more does the DS need to be substancially better, but still retaining the original gaming function?  I can't think of anything, maybe the controls could be an issue, but I'll wait until I have actually tried the thing.  And for cost, can Nintendo afford to release two editions of such a risky system, when using the redesign from the beginning will improve the DS's overall chances of success?  Frankly, I don't think so.  To be honest, I'm very concerned about the cost of the system anyway, and I could never imagine myself paying $240 CDN for a portable, and $50 for portable quality games.  Sure, you could argue that it's warranted by it's never-before-seen gaming, but that just isn't enough for me.  And I think this could pose a serious threat to handheld gaming, in my opinion, because the only other option I have no hopes for (simply too expensive).  But now it seems I am changing subjects.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 07:52:00 PM »
I don't think we will see a DS SP in the same vein that the GBA SP changed from the original GBA.  But Nintendo has issued new versions of two out of their three portables before (not counting the Virtual Boy [maybe if it was successful they would've released a VBoy SP with lots of viewable colors]).  There was gameboy, then the sleek gameboy pocket.  And ofcourse gba and gba sp.  And all iterations of each gameboy were issued in different colors, except maybe the original gb before gbp (I forget).  So atleast the likelyhood of different color DS' is very high, and the odds point in favor of the DS seeing a new version of itself at somepoint in its life cycle.  Definitely not as drastic as the change SP brought to GBA, and also less drastic than the gb to gbp change.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 02:19:44 AM »
There was even the Game Boy Colour, in case you are forgetting.

Its all about technology really. The GBP replaced the GB because they had new smaller technology so could fit more into less space. The GBC replaced the GBP because colour screens for it had just been invented, or at least were now affordable. The GBA SP replaced the GBA because not only could they make it smaller, but it was now financially logical to add backlighting.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 06:04:52 AM »
I think joeamis didn't include the GBC simply because it was more than an update; it was a new gameboy.  The GBC-specific games (see games like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and Pokemon Crystal) could not be played on a GB (original) or GBP.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 06:30:37 AM »
It was still just a progression from the last one. It was still a game boy. However, I supose it could be counted as totally new because Playstation was preceded by a new console, the playstation 2. However on GBC colour games the only thing was colour, the actual games were no more advanced.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 10:31:14 AM »
The GBC was new hardware, though.  And new GBC-specific software could be created for it.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2004, 10:37:07 AM »
NO jale the GBC is to the Gameboy as the SNES is to the nes. Completly new system all together.  The only thing that i can see ninty putting on a DS:SP is a control stick which would be nice but hard for a folding console (unless you make a hole for it to go into).  I dont think we will see a DS:SP just because Ninty had to do a GBA:SP because you couldnt see the fricken GBA  screen wihtout a back light, unless a hardware problem comes along in the DS's lifetime.  But of course you will see differnt color DS's, or what i want is like a Mario themed DS (with his likyness all over the system).
PikkCuber

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2004, 01:48:18 PM »
in a  recent issue of egm the nintendo haters, somone submited some pretty cool concept art for the DS, which is, imo, the way it absolutely should look.  see, the screens are in the same general position as they are now, but the buttons are all below the bottom screen (speakers inside).  The top screen folds onto the bottom screen like the SP, but the buttons are always visible.  even if we keep the D-pad, i think this is best, simply because, imo, it's much sleeker than the psp.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2004, 01:54:52 PM »

Originally posted by: kennyb27
I think joeamis didn't include the GBC simply because it was more than an update; it was a new gameboy.

Exactly, that's why I said Nintendo has issued new versions of two out of there 3 portables before (Vboy exempted).  The one not receiving a new version of itself being the GBC.  

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2004, 02:14:03 PM »
The 'direct linking violation'

I just found that very funny, despite being anti-Nintendo. It was from this article. It is from before the unveiling of the DS at E3.

PGC rules dictate that you're not alowed to link directly to a picture / movie from another website, unless it's your own.

Offline MODE_RED

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2004, 10:49:06 AM »
What's up Planet Gamecube! This is my first post in a very, very lonnng time.

How about a Nintendo DS SP that has two 3D Stereoscopic screens. New DS games could feature a special mode for viewing on the DS SP. It's just a dream, but to coin an old phrase, "Dreams do come true."
Developers, we should want gamers 2 fall in love with THEIR gaming experiences, not OUR feature lists. Let's not forget we're gamers too. But don't get stuck in your own dreams. What'd be special about dreams if we're all forced 2 dream the same thing? MODE RED

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2004, 12:05:30 PM »
Very unlikely as displaying 2 3D screens would require massive amounts of processing power, HOWEVER, developers in the past have gone above and beyond even Nintendo's expectations for some things so there MAY be a way to have some 3D on both screens on the current DS.  However, I doubt that they'd make a DS-SP with that feature because it would be almost like releasing a new system, which would compete with the current DS.  I'm betting you'll see different color schemes and various accessories, camera, maybe a headset for earphones/microphone, and whatever other crap MadCatz can come up with.

Just my opinions though,
-Blue
Yea! Ramen!

Offline MODE_RED

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004, 12:37:44 PM »
It would be more like the Gameboy to Gameboy color, where instead of color, you're getting a 3D image without the need for 3D glasses. Older games can be played in 3D mode, and the new ones could either have it as an option or take full advantage of it in gameplay. It would have to wait a couple years, and it could come with much more processing power and an enhanced touch screen that registers the amount of pressure you apply. Measuring the amount of pressure has several potential uses. You could use it to control things in the three-dimensional image, and you could tickle the screen to tickle a character or if you press too hard, hurt the character and make it angry.

Combining the DS with 3D would make it quite unique to play. With two "new 3D" screens, one of which is a "new pressure sensitive" touchscreen, it would definately offer something different from your usual videogame fare. Nothing would or could play like it.
Developers, we should want gamers 2 fall in love with THEIR gaming experiences, not OUR feature lists. Let's not forget we're gamers too. But don't get stuck in your own dreams. What'd be special about dreams if we're all forced 2 dream the same thing? MODE RED

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 09:23:45 PM »
I vote against that.
1. It hurts the eyes.
2. I cant see depth, anyway.

Pressure sensitive touch screens are extremely expensive, as are 3d screens. I don't want such pointless crap in my DS!