Author Topic: Final Fantasy X-2.  (Read 10588 times)

Final Fantasy X-2.
« on: February 07, 2003, 02:14:35 PM »
As some of you may know, Square will be producing one of the first direct sequals to any Final Fantasy game.  Final Fantasy X-2 will feature Yuna, the now ex-summoner.  Rikku, Yuna's cousin,  will be another playable returning character and possibly others will be returning as well.
This thread is here for people to give their thoughts on the game and propose some speculation about it.
Personally, I am very excited about an actual sequal to a Final Fantasy game.  I've always wanted this for the FF series and now its finally happened.  They couldn't have picked a better FF game to make a sequal for.
So give your thoughts.
it was time for a change.

Offline Duker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 05:11:34 PM »
I think this game will be pretty good.  Although I'm slightly disappointed that some of the main characters are gone (Auron, sniff) it seems to be a good game.  Now that they brought back the job classes, it should be interesting on how it plays out.  The new character, Payne (sp?) looks pretty cool too.  Sorta like an Auron/Lulu mix.  Can't wait for it none the less!  
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. People who can count and people who can't.

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 06:02:20 PM »
I'm very interested.  I don't like the way it looks so far, but you can't judge a game from prerelease information.  I like how creative Square is being.  Pop Star job?  It would be very interesting to see a Ronso pop star.

I just hope the cast of playable characters expands beyond scantily clad human women.  I'm anxiously waiting for the announcement of male and/or non-human characters.

I'm glad that the battle system is completely redone.  I loved FFX's battle system, but I put nearly 120 hours into that game and something different is much appreciated.

Edit:
By "I don't like the way it looks so far..." I what I say later in the message about how they've only shown scantily clad women as playable characters so far.

Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 02:47:43 AM »
Do you think there will only be three characters?  Part of me thinks that would be good because you wouldn't have to worry about leveling so many people up, however, I like the diversity.  I think it may just be 3 playable characters because the Job system is what will give them their diversity.  

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »
Yuna, Rikku, Payne.  That's it.  You'll also see other characters from the original FF10, but they won't be playable.

If the story is as good as FF10's story was, FF10-2 will definitely be worth playing.  My only concern is the battle system.  If it's like Kingdom Hearts non-turn system, I'll probably hate it.  If it's the traditional turn-based system like all the other Final Fantasies, I'll love it!

Have you guys seen the trailer?  It looks awesome!

Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 05:49:53 PM »
Haven't seen the trailer, and Kingdom Hearts makes me long for the turn based battle system found in FFX.  

Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2003, 05:04:48 PM »
FFX-2 was released in Japan this week and sold over 1 million copies on the first day alone.  I wonder if Zelda will do this well.

Offline Squall

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 10:16:10 AM »

Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 03:57:50 PM »
What are you not so positive about?

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2003, 06:19:37 PM »
More than anything else, I'm looking forward to the return of the active time battle system.   I loved FFX's system, but every menu-based RPG I've played since FFX has used a turn-based system.  Active time is more exciting to me!

Offline Squall

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2003, 12:58:47 PM »

The impressions I linked to said the game wasn't so great.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2003, 01:01:18 PM »
There's little difference between turn-based and active-time based.  They both use menus and make your characters stand around until their turn pops up.  The only real difference is that the turn-based enemies will stand there forever until you move, where in Active-time they just keep attacking.  That's it... hardly any difference at all.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2003, 03:39:39 PM »
I must stay, this is a bizarre idea.  Suddenly, Square has ten new franchises!  The FF games in general were very complete at the end, with no room open for a sequel.  What's the point?

Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2003, 04:27:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Squall

The impressions I linked to said the game wasn't so great.

Oh.

They kinda left FFX open for a sequel at the end.  Have you ever beaten it?
Anyway, just because the story seems like the ends are tied, its nothing a good writer can't handle

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2003, 04:47:30 PM »
Perhaps it's a false feeling, but to me active time battles seem to flow much more quickly than turn-based battles.  Maybe, in the games I've played, the battle animations were less superfluous in active time battles.  All I know is that active time is more exciting to me.  As far as any negative impressions go, I always try to see the best in things and focus on that.  It's very rare that I'm actually disappointed in a game.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2003, 08:58:08 AM »
Active-time battles more faster because the enemies don't just stand around and wait for you to move.  Of course, that's selectable.  When I played FF6/7/9, I chose the "wait" option which pauses the action whenever it's your turn... just like a normal turn-based battle.

Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2003, 03:46:23 PM »
Turn based is much faster than active time battle.  In ATB you have to wait for the counter.  Even if its your turn, if the counter isn't finished you can't go yet.  There is no waiting in turn-based, thus, it is faster.  

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2003, 02:09:57 PM »
Good point, but that doesn't happen often.  Most times I found my moves "piling up" such that I was inputing commands for character #4 when characters 1, 2, and 3 were still waiting to do something.  That's due to Square's special effects taking longer than the timebar.

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2003, 04:24:40 PM »
Another point about ATB not necessarily taking longer than Turn Based AKA Wait is that the computer opponents can execute moves while you're going through menus or making decisions.

Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2003, 04:08:31 AM »
As soon as I beat FFX, I started playing FF7 and I was actually frustrated with how long I had to wait for the timer to run down.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2003, 03:59:38 PM »
This game looks as dumb and corny as heck.  FFX was pretty good; meladramatic as they always are, but good.  This one is just plain silly.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ResidentEvil

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2003, 07:07:34 PM »
FFX and FFX-2 are known for their storylines, it doesn't matter what the graphics look like.  Oh wait, Im pretty sure you all said the same thing about Wind Waker, right?  *sigh*

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2003, 07:39:35 PM »
Sorry, I'm not a big fan of FFX. It was a fairly dissapointing game. I'm not holding my breath for FFX-2, I hate the fact that they decided to "sex up" the characters.

I like how creative Square is being. Pop Star job?

Sounds like a knock-off of the "Teen Idol" job in DQVII (and perhaps others)
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2003, 04:36:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Koopa Troopa
Sorry, I'm not a big fan of FFX. It was a fairly dissapointing game. I'm not holding my breath for FFX-2, I hate the fact that they decided to "sex up" the characters.

I like how creative Square is being. Pop Star job?

Sounds like a knock-off of the "Teen Idol" job in DQVII (and perhaps others)

Final fantasy actually had a "singing" job first.  It's called bard.  So technically, DQVII, copied off final fantasy.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy X-2.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2003, 03:59:30 AM »
"I wonder if Zelda will do this well. "

Wonder if you meant FFCC since Zelda WW has been out since X-mas in Japan.

About FF X-2.  I'm a bit disappointed with the ideal of a sequel especially after seeing the first Yuna pics.  Twin calibur guns for a priestess--doesn't add up.   Laura Croft anyone?  

Hopefully, the plot remains intact.

This is first FF that I won't be pre-ordering, instead I'm going wait for the reviews from my Fellow diehard FF players.