Author Topic: A hypothetical question about futuristic racing  (Read 2906 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
A hypothetical question about futuristic racing
« on: February 14, 2004, 08:07:55 AM »
I'm a big fan of this type of game.  I don't know why for sure, but I think it has something to do with the fact that the type of racing portrayed in these games could happen sometime in the future.

So this got me thinking: Of the three major futuristic racing game series, which one do you think has the most realistic chance of actually happening in the future?  ("Future" as in 500+ years from now.)  Which one will become the mainstream sport?

- F-Zero - Hovercrafts
- Wipeout - Hovercrafts w/weaponry
- Extreme-G - Mag Bikes w/weaponry
- Something else without weapons
- Something else with weapons

Obviously, racing without weapons will come before racing with weapons, so just say whether or not you think weapons will ever make their way into real-world racing at some point in time.

Personally, I would like to see Wipeout-style racing with hovercraft down the line, but I doubt we'll ever discover anti-gravity technology.  That's why Extreme-G style racing would be more realistic (which is also why I've always loved the series).  Either way, I expect weaponry to be eventually incorporated into racing in some form, because I think that just racing around in circles will eventually get boring.

What do you think?
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:A hypothetical question about futuristic racing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 03:01:25 PM »
F-Zero makes mention of an F-MAX, And I had this idea of what that would be.

A mixture of F-1 and NASCAR going at dangerously high speeds while jumping from track to track.  And the ability to working in an F-Zero connection by making the hover stuff experimental and only using it for recovery and the aforementioned track hopping.  I know it's a little one sided, because other than jumping from track to track, I really have no other ideas.  Oh, and no weapons.  Skill-based, not luck-based, plz.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline AMac2002

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: A hypothetical question about futuristic racing
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 04:58:33 PM »
I'm definetly not much of a NASCAR fan, but I'd definetly show up to watch some F-Zero racing in real life. A man can dream...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 10:41:31 PM »
I can seriously see an F-Zero like Grand Prix happening sometime in the next 5000 years. Man that would be awesome, real people racing for their lives! Who wouldn't watch that?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 06:19:46 PM »
yeah we need some crazy psychopathic gladitorial shit going down!!!!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 06:25:08 PM »
I think that weapons is too far-fetched. Perhaps disabling laser things like at laser quest. As long as it goes REALLY REALLY fast then people won't care if the vehichles are on or above the road.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 06:36:22 PM »
Well, with the speeds that F-Zero claims to be going, humans would die with the G's exerted on them. I can't remember the speeds that Wipeout or Extreme-G advertise, but I wager they'll be too much for meager humans like us.

I always presumed that the vehicles would use some sort of simple upward propulsion system opposed to anti-gravity technology. Getting the power needed for the upward propulsion is just a matter of finding an extremely efficient fuel supply, like a mini nuclear reactor or something.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 06:41:37 PM »
thats why you have to create a momentum balancing system.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 06:59:56 PM »
Unless there are actually hovercrafts and the technology to keep a person from splattering their brains all over the windscreen when going loops and twists at 2000km/h, then only really Extreme G has the best chance of being an 'actual racing sport'.

Having weapons in these futuristic races would mean more deaths in each race than in every single race of every vehicle in the history of mankind so far times 10000.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 08:48:50 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
thats why you have to create a momentum balancing system.

Wow, I had no idea that was possible. I know nothing of physics. What exactly would that involve, and how would it work?
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 06:38:47 AM »
Extreme-G makes the most sense since, like you mentioned, the bikes don't fly.  I highly doubt weapons will legally be allowed for this sort of thing.  Death sports is the sort of thing that usually isn't permitted.  It may still exist underground but the "official" circuit would be pure racing.  I prefer the pure racing approach of F-Zero anyway.

And I doubt that simple racing would get boring since they've never added weapons to current car racing and that seems to maintain a decent audience.  I find it boring as hell of course but the market exists.

The idea of anti-gravity cars for the future seems like at least in theory a decent idea since we really wouldn't need concrete roads anymore.  Mowed grass would be sufficient.  The only problem I see is if cars are designed to actually fly (as opposed to hovering a foot off the ground) you get 3D intersections and really bad accidents.  Of course even with just the hovering thing people will go "off road" everywhere and some nuts will likely mod their car to actually fly.  Maybe it's not that great of an idea after all.  Save the anti-gravity technology for planes only.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 11:31:24 AM »
Get this: In Extreme G or F-Zero, crashing into a wall or other racer at 1000+km/h just involves a little bit of health taken off the health meter. Where if someone crashed their cars at only 100km/h, it would be like a melting-together of metal, flesh and bone. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference

In the July 2000 issue of N64 Magazine (now called NGC Magazine) from the UK, there is a feature called 'Go Gadget Go!', in which they ask David Bachelor, a NASA Astrophysicist about the plauibility of some of the things found in Nintendo's games, like Link's Hover Boots, the Banana Ports in Donkey Kong 64, the Lightsabres in Super Smash Bros, and, amongst other similar things, the racers in F-Zero X.

5. Magnetic Racers
What it does: Most notabe on the theoratically shaky Big Blue track, F-Zero's futurisic magnetic cars are able to stick to the track at speeds of around 1000km/h.
ETA: 2015
David's Verdict: Magnetic levitation like this is possible, given the right materials for the track and terrifically precise sensors in the car's bottom to regulare the spacing between the track ad car. The stability is the challenge in building something like this, however. The limit on it's performace would still be the driver's bodily integrity [referring to the Arwings in Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64 in the US)]...and their ability to stay conscious while the blood rushes to their heads while upside-down on the Big Blue track!'

And here's something way cool!

7. Beam Swords
What it does: 'Borrowed from a certain movie trilogy, the beam sword is a shimmering beam of pure energy that does a fair amount of damage to human flesh and bone.
ETA: 2030!!!!!!
David's Verdict: If you could generate a torch made of ionized gas (known as plasma) using a handle-sized object, the something like the Lightsabre could be the result. Put a strong magnetic field intot he handle, and it might shape the plasma into a linear, sabre-shaped cutting weapon. Present-day power supplies aren't up to the task, but who's to say about future compact batteries? Plasma is used to cut in industry today. Just don't expect a neat cut...thats just fantasy, Mario!

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 06:10:44 PM »
Of course lightsabre battles are not likely because people don't simply go up to people in the street and fight them (at least not with a VERY conspicous glowing weapon). It's more likely going to be a construction/industry tool.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 06:24:04 AM »
In 2030 I'll be 48 and thus not at an age where real life light sabres would be of any use to me.  Considering that the youngest people on this board would be at least 40 by then it seems silly to get excited by it.  Plus it's likely impossible to actually "dual" with such things since unlike the movies the two blades would probably go right through each other.  There's also no force powers which to me would be the real appeal.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2004, 08:08:33 AM »
Like I said its gonna be a tool not a widely used weapon. People hardly go around toting chainsaws now do they?

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 04:01:10 PM »
Oh but how the Star Wars fanatics will die of joy when lightsabres are made.
The Jedi religion will truly flourish