Author Topic: Mario and Luigi Question  (Read 4387 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario and Luigi Question
« on: December 28, 2003, 05:12:01 AM »
Yes...so I was fighting Mom Pirahna, and was whipping her pretty bad, I must say...all of a sudden, Mario yells "ADVANCE!", has a brief conversation with Luigi, the battle resumes.  What's up with this "advance" thing?  And also...what's Stache (the stat)?  I mean, why upgrade your mustache?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Mario and Luigi Question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 12:23:48 PM »
I dunno about the stache, and haven't seen that advance thing yet, but I think it's hilarious that you can upgrade your mustache.  I almost always use my bonus in boosting that.

Probably you need a high score in that to beat the final boss.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 04:58:07 AM »
Well I'm stupid.  I didn't realize you could use your bonus on things other than HP.  D'oh!  And the Advance thing's happened to me like three times now, and next to my Bros Attack option, I always see a little "Adv."  Damn it I'm stuck on Trunkle...stupid rock with an orange growing out of his head...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Mario and Luigi Question
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 06:19:55 AM »
the stache stat increases the chance you'll get a lucky hit in battle (dealing super damage with a solo attack).  it also can raise the discount on items bought in shops.

and i have no idea what's up with the "advance".  i've been wondering myself.  maybe i should get around to reading the instruction booklet.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 09:16:35 AM »
Stache does that, eh?  Have to pay more attention to it, then.

I've gotten the advance thing several times now.  Tis weird.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 09:28:37 AM »
The Mustache-stat isn't described in the manual, but it's pretty clear from the icons next to the rebate in shops what it does...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 10:41:05 AM »
there's a house in the village right below the castle (i'm sorry, but the names escape me at the moment).  in that house are some books that the owner is airing out.  if you read them, it describes what the stache stat does.  wait...either that, or it's in the books in the castle.  i forgot.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 12:47:29 PM »
I see...the bigger your mustache, the more the shopowner finds you attractive, therefore, they lower the prices.  It all makes sense now.  That Advance thing's screwing me, damn it...oooh, and I beat Trunkle  

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 01:26:40 PM »
Played through the game twice already and haven't seen the ADVANCE thing...Of course, I never use Bros. attacks(if that has anything to do with it...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 09:32:53 PM »
When you ADVANCE your Bros. Atacks, you attack differently and do more damage to your enemies.  The button presses are different combinations too.

For example, for Mario's Chopper Bros. attack, the button combination is A B A (repeatedly).  This sends Mario flying into the air and come down spinning his hammer on the enemy.

The ADVANCED version of the move is much harder to perform.  The button combo is:

A A -- this sends Luigi into the ground. When he moves under the enemy, press B to make him jump up. Then have Mario press A again to knock Luigi back into the ground, then press B to have him jump up again. Then just repeat till you mess up.

So, it is essentially A A B A B A B A B, etc....
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 06:57:12 AM »
Odd...my Chopper Bros move is in fact advanced, but for whatever reason, it's still A B A.  And Bill, please stop with the scary avatars.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 09:05:01 AM »
It will still show the old button combo.  You just have to do the new one yourself.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 09:44:52 AM »
how exactly did you figure this out?

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 10:09:59 AM »
On accident.  I pressed the wrong button one time, then the word advance popped up.  Then everything else is basically trial and error.  

Another thing, in case you guys don't know.  You can change the level of your Bros. Attacks to levels 5, 4, or 3 (I think).  Doing it on level 3 uses less BP, there is no slo-mo, and the button combos do not show up thus leading to errors and accidents.  

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 11:37:51 AM »
advance allows you to do more damage on a bros. attack with different button presses
the stache is like the stat 'luck' or 'guts' in other rpg games- it gives you a better chance to perform a 'lucky' attack
it also lowers the prices significantly in shops
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 03:03:34 PM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
Odd...my Chopper Bros move is in fact advanced, but for whatever reason, it's still A B A.  And Bill, please stop with the scary avatars.
How is Collet scary? ;____;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 03:54:32 PM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
Yes...so I was fighting Mom Pirahna, and was whipping her pretty bad, I must say...all of a sudden, Mario yells "ADVANCE!", has a brief conversation with Luigi, the battle resumes.  What's up with this "advance" thing?

I think its pretty obvious that Mario is just trying to remind you which Gameboy system you are playing. If i could only count the times I thought i was playing my Gameboy Color but was really playing my GBA....

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing