Author Topic: Begone, Evil EZboard!  (Read 16101 times)

Offline Floydthebarber

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« on: January 31, 2003, 04:08:03 PM »
So, you guys finally mustered the bandwidth and server power to host forums, eh? YAY! You might entice me now to actually post here without severe fear of popups and morons. This is really cool to see from you guys, hope to maybe post some of my own reviews in the futur possibly.

Hooray for the first thread ever!!!
::Video Game Extraordinaire::

Offline SS4Gogita

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 04:18:00 PM »
Indeed.  Those EZBoards were horrible and I was always afraid of coming there, mainly just because of the horrible, horrible ads.  Hooray for new forums.
::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 05:26:17 PM »
I am very happy that you guys ditched EzBoard.

Excellent!
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 05:31:50 PM »
It's the society we live in.  Nothing is ever good enough.  EZboard was okay, nothing wrong with it, fundamentally.  At least I didn't have a problem with it, nor did I get too bothered by the ads.  After a while you get used to them.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 09:37:36 PM »
Hey I like Ezboard. my ezboard control center is my home page. Ezboard is great and amazingly customisable, just few ppl bother to do so.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline MikeHrusecky

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2003, 09:54:03 PM »
I always thought EZBoards was ok as a basic option, as long as there was a popup stopper loaded up. But these boards will have some snazzy features.

btw, this is a test message.

test edit:

"All your post are belong to us." Heh, great copyright notice at the bottom.

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2003, 11:11:54 PM »
Is there any chance of a forums.planetgamecube.com redirect or address in the near future?
Born to run-but prefers a brisk walk.....

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2003, 11:20:08 PM »
That might be doable.  I'll see what I can do.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2003, 11:24:34 PM »
Excellant.

On a different note, how can I change my password? Do I have to remember the password given to me by the registration email for perpetua?  

Offline MikeHrusecky

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2003, 11:26:43 PM »
Hit the 'ol Profile button at the top of the page to change settings (including your password).

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2003, 11:42:05 PM »
Your a genius!

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2003, 12:10:43 PM »
Yeah, well while this is cool and all, I never had much problem with pop-ups. First of all, all you have to do is download Pop-Up Stopper. Next, as cool as this is, it really blows that there are no personal icons. Whats with that? I loved to animate pictures from Nintendo characters and now I can't even post them on this board. And since this forum is all about pro's and con's on your forum so you can change it, at least allow personal icons please. Kinda gives everyone some more personality if you know what I mean.
If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2003, 12:22:37 PM »
Can't do it, Zach.  The only option for avatars this board has is hosting them on our site.  Unfortunately, that's going to cause a huge bandwidth drain if we turn them on.  If FuseTalk issues a release that allows off-site avatars (linked to your personal webspace), then we'll revisit the issue at that time.  But for the time being, they're staying off.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2003, 12:23:06 PM »
I think that the board is still in Beta. So I think that they will add avators and whatnot later.

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2003, 12:26:00 PM »
Heh, alright Rick. Thats fine, I probably had no need to post this two times though. Well at least more people know so they won't complain.  
If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say.

Offline alexzman

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2003, 12:39:01 PM »
You guys still need to change the URL of the Boards link on the left navigation bar.
--CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Sim City 4, Mario Golf
--LOOKING FORWARD TO:
F-Zero, SCII, and MK: DD

Offline MikeHrusecky

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2003, 02:23:36 PM »
These forums are still in beta. I don't think we'll make the move official by changing the site's link until we're sure we're where we wanna be in terms of squashed bugs, etc.

You're our guinea pigs. Here, have a pellet.

Offline Toolvana

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2003, 03:35:59 PM »
It's now offical, Metroid Prime 2 is in development.  But will Samus be playing Volleyball?

It's been fairly widely known that Retro Studios went right back to work after their Louie Award Winning Metroid Prime was released, and we were told that it was to be a sequel to Metroid Prime.  Now Nintendo has made it official, as the game is now listed on their website.

No details are known at this time, and we don't know if Prime 2 will pick up after the first Prime game, or if it will continue the story line started in Metroid Fusion for the Game Boy Advance.  All that is certain is that you won't be seeing Samus spiking a volleyball any time soon.

So what does this mean for Retro's other projects that were shelved in order to emphasize on Prime?  It's hard to say at this point, as apparently the entire company is again focused on the sequel.

We'll have more details for you as soon as we can dig them up.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2003, 04:34:52 PM »
NO AVATARS!! Darn...

Anyways, does this forum have [img] tag or whatever?

Instead of avatars, you could let people have an image in the signature.  (Just limit the pixel size to like 400x200 or something so people don't put high-res full screen ones).

Is that something you would be willing to allow though?
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline xino

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2003, 05:09:42 PM »
Excellent vector!! Good job planet gamecube!

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2003, 07:52:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Matt
NO AVATARS!! Darn...

Anyways, does this forum have [img] tag or whatever?

Instead of avatars, you could let people have an image in the signature.  (Just limit the pixel size to like 400x200 or something so people don't put high-res full screen ones).

Is that something you would be willing to allow though?

What makes anyone think anyone else wants to waste their bandwidth on some lame picture so they can feel a little more special and individual. Rick, I doubt you would follow the pics in sigs idea, but in case you happen to be even considering it, DON'T DO IT.

Please.

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2003, 07:56:51 PM »
Actually, I had 56k this year. Those pictures did barely anything to reduce the speed the page loaded. PGC had us keep the filesize low, and that helped. Bandwidth is not a problem when rules are enforced. And if they tried to get us avatars beneath our name, they can try to get them in the signiture area limited to 90 by 90 pixels.  

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2003, 08:02:09 PM »
I don't think people should have to limit file sizes just because of people who are behind and don't have broadband.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2003, 08:20:54 PM »
Pictures in signatures will NOT happen.  It's a bitch to moderate, and is just entirely unnecessary.  Avatars will probably NOT happen until we can have them hosted off-site somehow, which the software can't do.  Yet.  We may make an exception later on, but I wouldn't count on it if I were you.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2003, 08:28:19 PM »
How is it hard to moderate sig. pics?  All you'd have to do is ban people who put inappropraite/not allowed pics, right?  (Or is there much more stuff behind the scenes?)

Also, I've seen a lot of other gaming sites that allow sig. pics, and they don't seem to pose problems there.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2003, 09:01:58 PM »
even if was on broadband, i'd be saying the same thing. it's just the fact that avatars and sig. pics are totally unecessary.

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2003, 10:05:51 PM »

Pictures in signatures will NOT happen. It's a bitch to moderate, and is just entirely unnecessary.

Hard to moderate? Like I said, all you have to do is limit the size of the pic. Make it a really thin banner across the bottom of each post from someone who actually wants to do it. Of course, thats if this board lets you limit that, which I think it does. You guys think its unnecessary huh.... well let me put it someway.... its BORING without them. Here's an example, think of reading a history book without all the cool pictures in them, only text. It might have the same effect, but its a lot easier to see the personality of the poster from his avatar. And it must BE necessary if most of us want it. There is no competition, just a small complaint because we have no indivuality here.  

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2003, 07:23:58 AM »
Nintendo has this crazy idea that Pokemon will sell well...or something.  If you pre-order you GET BONUS.

America Braces for Next Installment of Pokemon Mania

Nintendo Readies Pre-sell Campaign for Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire for Game Boy Advance

REDMOND, Wash.--Feb. 11, 2003--Within the first six weeks of launching the new Game Boy(R) Advance titles Pokemon(R) Ruby Version and Pokemon(R) Sapphire Version in Japan, Nintendo sold through nearly 4 million copies combined.

Now, North America prepares for the sales onslaught as the official pre-sell program for both games gets underway this week at participating retailers.

With both video games hitting store shelves in North America on March 17, Nintendo anticipates brisk sales to continue, especially with the exclusive pre-sell incentive. While supplies last, those who pre-order Pokemon Ruby or Pokemon Sapphire also will receive a limited-edition, holographic Pokemon collector's coin.

"The phenomenal sales of Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire in Japan illustrate the continuing popularity of the Pokemon franchise," says George Harrison, senior vice president, marketing and corporate communications, Nintendo of America Inc. "After five years, kids are watching the Pokemon cartoon in record numbers, buying the video games and collecting Pokemon Trading Cards -- and we have every reason to believe these two Pokemon games will be as huge in North America as they are in Japan."

In Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire, the quest to become a Pokemon Master continues, as players discover more than 100 new Pokemon characters, as well as many returning favorites. Players can play as either a boy or girl trainer, and for the first time ever, players can strategically battle with two Pokemon simultaneously.

"We are anxiously awaiting the launch of Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire in the U.S. because these games will usher in a new phase for the Pokemon brand," says Akira Chiba, president of Pokemon USA, Inc. "Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire will be the starting point for a whole new Pokemon world in regard to the trading card game, merchandise, the animated TV series and theatrical releases."

The Game Boy Advance dramatically improves the visuals of previous Game Boy titles such as Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue and most recently, Pokemon Crystal, as the colors are more vibrant and the graphics are more detailed. Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire are the first two Pokemon titles designed for Nintendo's Game Boy Advance and will be available for a suggested retail price of $39.95 each. Game Boy Advance is available for a suggested retail price of $79.95, while the newest addition to the Game Boy family, the Game Boy(R) Advance SP, will be available March 23 for an estimated retail price of $99.95. Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire are published by The Pokemon Company and distributed exclusively by Nintendo of America.

Pokemon USA, Inc., the New York-based subsidiary of The Pokemon Company in Japan, manages and oversees the Pokemon franchise in North and Latin America, which includes licensing, merchandising, TV animation, theatrical releases, home video entertainment, the official Pokemon website, the Pokemon Center NY in Rockefeller Center and PokemonCenter.com, a retail site.     Pokemon first launched for the world's best-selling Game Boy(R) video game system in Japan in 1996 and has since evolved into a global cultural phenomenon. Since bringing the franchise to North America in September 1998, Nintendo has sold more than 110 million Pokemon games worldwide. Pokemon merchandise has generated over $15 billion in worldwide retail sales since 1998. The trading card game, fueled by organized play programs with over 250,000 members in 47 countries, has spurred global sales of 9.8 billion cards to date. For more information on Pokemon games, go to www.pokemon-games.com or www.pokemon.com.

Offline popkorn1

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2003, 12:26:39 PM »
Just wanted to say that I love the new forums!!  100% support for the move!  Thank you!

Offline Justin Nation

• Programmer, Senior Editor, Daddy
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • MAMEiac Gaming
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2003, 12:41:31 PM »
Why not let your individuality be shown through the content of what you have to say? If you contribute meaningful commentary to the forum you'll get recognized much more than if you get to put in some tiny graphic. Why worry about something so ultimately meaningless?
Justin Nation
Resident Dinosaur, Occasional Contributor, Daddy
MAMEiac Gaming
Administrator, The Nintendo Switch Fan Community (Facebook Group)
"People are stupid"

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2003, 01:25:56 PM »
ah youngins...i remember back in the day when we only had one topic per thread! Discus forums!
Discus Forums! There was no ff topic becaus ethere couldnt be! We had 5 topics and youd only get warned if
you went of topic! These forums are pretty nice, avatars are nice, but unnessacary. If you reeally want an avatar...ascii art in your signature.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline JoshuaSlone

• View Profile
Begone, Evil EZboard!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2003, 07:52:09 AM »
I agree the place LOOKS a mite dull to the eyes, but hey, I can live with that.  Rather no avatars than stupid 100+ K animated ones I see at some places.  In my ideal forum world, avatars would have a limit like a single kilobyte; more like the emoticon images.  Enough to pick out certain people's posts if you're just browsing, but small enough it couldn't cause much offense or bandwidth drag if it tried.

Also, now that the forums are back at PGC, the auto-posting of Talkback news is back.  I gladly hand the robot back the Talkback Moderator cap I'd been borrowing.  

The one thing I'm still left wondering about is, it was always said the reason PGC stopped hosting the forums themselves was due to the bandwidth being prohibitively expensive.  Have things like shirts and DVDs changed that?
---------------
Town: Kafnburg
Name: Joshua