Author Topic: Your top 10 movies  (Read 12927 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Your top 10 movies
« on: October 23, 2003, 08:30:28 AM »
Since this came up in the 'end of humanity thread', i figure i'd start this one.  These movies should be your favorites, not neccessarily the best made movie.  Its often interesting to see other peoples tastes, and i think what films a person likes reflects a part of that persons personality. Feel free to put movies and their sequals together if you love the whole series.  So here we go:

1. Godfather1&2: Amazing overall movies.  No negatives.
2. The breakfast club: This movie meant a lot to me, personally, and spoke a lot about high school cliques.' Love John Bender!(interesting sidebar:bender started the grunge style-go back and look)
3. Pulp Fiction-Absolutely wicked, with bad characters that are likeable.  Hard to do.  Dialogue is very witty.  I quote this movie all the time.
4. The Shining: The best horror movie ever.  Nicholson should've been nominated for an oscar.  I still watch this movie often.
5. Goodfellas: Just great actors with a great script.  Deniro and Pesci are awesome on screen.  Ray Liotta great as Henry Hill.  I quote this movie on a daily basis.
6. American Psycho:  I dig the dark humor and the comment on 80's excess most people dont see, therefore, they hate it.  But i love it.
7. The cable guy: Again, like American psycho, very dark overtones, and widely despised..  but again, i think it makes interesting commentary on society.
8. High Fidelity: Loved every second of this movie.  I relate to it like no other movie, barring The breakfast club.
9. Clerks: Wonderful dialogue.  I have friends who are like them.  I met Kevin Smith, so he definately goes on the list.
10. Mulholland Drive:  David Lynch at his maddening best.  I still think about this movie, a year later, and try and figure it out. Now thats a good movie.

Just some of my personal favs...judging by my list, i appear a little unstable.  And thats true!  See how the list works?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
RE: Your top 10 movies
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 08:39:33 AM »
hmmmm, my list changes from time to time, but here goes

Pulp fiction - one of the best movies of all time, I have never seen another movie like it

American Beauty - Kevin spacey is my hero in this film.

Jackie Brown - what a story, I love Sammy L jackson in this.

Kalifornia - you think Brad Pitt is a pretty boy do you?

Rounders - a real sleeper hit

American history X - Edward Norton is simply brilliant

Swingers - so damn funny

Fight Club - I have seen this 10 times and still love it

First blood - a classic, the best action movie ever

Wild Things - the atmosphere of this movie is gold.  

And an honorable mention to  - SPUN
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Your top 10 movies
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 08:43:16 AM »
Wow, a lot of those films were very near my top 10.  My list changes as well.  But i almost put Swingers, Jackie brown and Wild Things on there as well.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 08:51:37 AM »
1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
4. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
5. Narc
6. Donnie Darko
7. Mallrats
8. Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi
9. Dogma
10. Fight Club
11. Star Wars: A New Hope
12. Clerks
13. Young Frankenstein
14. Chasing Amy
15. Saving Private Ryan

I know you said top 10, but I can never make a top 10 list- there's always some things I think deserve to be on the list but not at the expense of others, so I generally do top 15 lists. And the list fluctuates, as does yours, but those are the movies that are generally always on.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 08:55:31 AM »
Yeah, i know, i could probably put 30 that i watch over and over .  I just saw Narc, awesome movie.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 09:06:38 AM »
Not in any order, just my 10 favorite movies.

Moulin Rouge  Nicole Kidman… really is there any need for further explanation?

The Long Kiss Goodnight  Love the whole teacher/assassin with amnesia thing.

Speed 2 As for a sequel it doesn't work, but as its own movie it is very good.  I'm glad it wasn't just a rehash of the first Speed movie.

The Lion King  Best Disney animated movie in the last 15 years if you ask me, and the last great one too.

Death Becomes Her  Nothing better that two women who can't die trying to kill each other.

Dracula  The Francis Ford Coppola version from the early 1990's.  Very well done and stylish.

Dolores Claiborne  A beautifully done version of the Stephen King novel, Kathy Bates should have won a best actress award for her performance.

Me, Myself, & Irene  I love this movie, each time I watch it, it just seems to get funnier and funnier.

Meet the Parents  Same as above, but the humor is more subtle.  Never gets old.

Sleepy Hollow  Tim Burton is possibly my all time favorite director, and this movie is one of his best, in my opinion.

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 09:50:29 AM »
This order can realistically change at any moment but I think most of these have a permanent place near the top of my list.

1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy - I'm making a fair assumption that the third film will be as good as the first two and thus will keep this above number 2.  Great acting, great writing, great characters, great action, great story, great special effects, great EVERYTHING.  Fellowship of the Ring is the most amazing film I've ever seen.

2. ORIGINAL Star Wars Trilogy - None of this prequel bullsh!t for me.  This is the REAL deal.  Do I really have to say anything about why I like these movies?  Just incredibly original, Star Wars is something that was never seen before and never will be regardless of how much George Lucas tries to recreate the magic.  There's a reason that this franchise has such a huge fanbase.

3. Indiana Jones Trilogy - Hey remember when that George Lucas fellow made movies that didn't suck?  The Indy trilogy is just pure movie magic.  They're the sort of films that everyone likes.  They're pure entertainment with simple plots and they don't have to resort to endless explosions or sex to get people interested.  Plus Indiana Jones may be the coolest movie character of all time.  I was very happy to hear that Indy 4 will not use computer effects since such a thing would greatly ruin this type of movie.

4. Ben-Hur - I'm a sucker for classic epics and this is the best one.  It's insanely long but never gets boring.  The chariot scene is just amazing.  I remember a station once played this movie uncut in widescreen and that scene showed me what I had been missing with full screen transfers.

5. Goodfellas - There's something about gangster movies that always attracts my interest.  I think it's the fact that the characters are so different than myself so it's interesting to see the world through the eyes of someone with the completely opposite outlook on life.  This is the best gangster film ever in my opinion.  I really like the Godfather movies as well but I feel they glamorize the characters a little too much.  In this one the characters are a little more evil.  At the beginning you like Robert De Niro's character and by the end not only do you not like him as much but you're scared of him.  Plus all the guys in the end go to jail as I would want to see happen to such people.

6. The Big Labowski - My favourite comedy ever.  The first time I saw this I probably laughed through 90% of the movie.  I just love the characters even though they're all complete losers that I would never want to meet in real life.  The dialogue is great and very quotable... if your audience is cool with the f-word of course.

7. Unforgiven - Gotta love a western but this is much more then your standard Eastwood spagetti.  Along with all the gun slinging is a deep, serious, thought provoking drama where the morality of all the characters is questioned and every kill is significant.  It's a thinking man's western and that's why I love it so much.

8. Terminator 2 - I find that a lot of action movies I loved when I was 14 really don't hold up well today.  Well this is a big exception.  Not only is it a great action movie with tons of, um, action but it also has a cool plot and one of the best villians ever.  The special effects are also amazing despite being over ten years old.  Many of the T-1000 effects look more realistic then anything you see in today's movies.

9. A Fish Called Wanda - Insanely funny.  Full of great quotes and the cast is terrific.  Kevin Kline's performance made me a huge fan of his work and deservingly earned him an Oscar.  See it now if you haven't before.

10. The Gods Must Be Crazy - Where as the other comedies in my list are full of snappy dialogue this one is almost all visual comedy.  A lot of people I meet have never even heard of it yet when I show it to them they become fans.  Who would have thought that a film where one of the main plot lines revolves around terrorism could be so funny?

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 09:54:55 AM »
Here's 10 not in any particular order.

Spirit of '76
Alien
Ed Wood
The Chocolate War
When Harry Met Sally
Mildred Pierce
Edward Scissorhands
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Godfather 1&2
Bladerunner

Okay, it's more than 10 but oh well.  Is this a weird enough mix of films for you?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 09:56:47 AM »
I loved every facet of Bladerunner except for one thing- the music. I couldn't STAND the music. It ruined any feeling I had for the scene, and made me enjoy the movie much less. It's an incredible film, with a great story, I just can't work myself around the score.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 10:06:17 AM »
Just because I'm watching it on CN for the 80th time, I think FLCL is one of the coolest 3 hour movies ever.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 10:23:55 AM »
The Big Lebowski , oh man I forgot about that, that is a truly funny movie.
I also would like to add JFK to my list under long movies I really liked.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 10:25:37 AM »
I can never pick favorites, but I can put a list of general things.  Breakfast Club is one of my favorite movies ever, Kevin Smith movies are generally good (Mallrats, Dogma, Clerks), Kill Bill was good (need to see Pulp Fiction), Donnie Darko, Who Killer Roger Rabbit, Matrix series is good, as is the Lord of the Rings. . . there are a lot of good movies, but I can hardly think of the ones I like.  Monty Python, too.  Almost forgot em.

I want to be a director/producer/writer someday, so I'm interested in movies. . . there are a lot I need to see still, especially Tarantino and stuff.  Hopefully someday people will be making lists with my movies on them.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 10:30:12 AM »
On a side note the worst movies I have seen recently are Dream Catcher and the MAtrix reloaded, what the hell was with the 8 minute dance video/love scene? This was the worst movie I have ever seen.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 10:43:29 AM »

I loved every facet of Bladerunner except for one thing- the music. I couldn't STAND the music. It ruined any feeling I had for the scene, and made me enjoy the movie much less. It's an incredible film, with a great story, I just can't work myself around the score.

I couldnt agree more.  And Trent Reznor couldnt agree more as well.  He has stated he(Nine inch nails) would like to re-score the movie.  Now that would be great/.

Ian sane:  I agree with what you said about Goodfellas.  Poor Pesci...

Hostile creation:  I am going to film school in January.  Maybe i'll be on all your lists in a few years.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2003, 11:06:37 AM »
If you're as good as I'll be, you will

Dreamcatcher was a good book, but I was really surprised when I heard they were making it into a movie.  Didn't seem the right kind of book for that transition.

Guess I was right.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 11:14:44 AM »
Wow, this is weird...Just this morning I was thinking of creating a topic just like this one...Stop reading my thoughts!  *huddles in corner*

1) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - The most perfectly scripted action/adventure movie on the planet...
2) Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark - A few slow parts but overall just as great as Last Crusade...
3) Empire Strikes Back - Why do I like this one the most?  One word: Hoth ^_^
4) Goldeneye - My favorite Bond movie...and I loved it long before the game came out
5) Thomas Crowne Affair - An amazing suspense movie, with a twist...
6) Star Wars - the one that started it all
7) Signs - the one and only movie that has actually scared me in the past 5 years(the Eternal Darkness of movies)...The acting was perfect, the script was perfect, the atmosphere was perfect...Plus, I completely agree with the theological views incorporated in the film...
8) Monty Python & the Holy Grail - It's MP, what can I say? ^_^
9) Independence Day - Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith make a perfect team...
10) Buckaroo Banzai - If anyone has seen this movie, I'll give them a cookie...A lot of famous actors started here, including Peter Weller(Robocop), John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, and Jeff Goldblum...A funny, interesting twist on alien invaders and the War of the Worlds "hoax"...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2003, 01:00:45 PM »

7) Signs - the one and only movie that has actually scared me in the past 5 years(the Eternal Darkness of movies)...The acting was perfect, the script was perfect, the atmosphere was perfect...Plus, I completely agree with the theological views incorporated in the film...
8) Monty Python & the Holy Grail - It's MP, what can I say? ^_^
9) Independence Day - Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith make a perfect team...
10) Buckaroo Banzai - If anyone has seen this movie, I'll give them a cookie...A lot of famous actors started here, including Peter Weller(Robocop), John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, and Jeff Goldblum...A funny, interesting twist on alien invaders and the War of the Worlds "hoax"...

I agree with your comments on Signs, although i have a major problem with the 'Alien' they showed.  I thought they shouldve used the traditional look , with the big black eyes and big head(not E.T.).  They would've been scarier than that thing.  And i saw Buckaroo Banzai when i was a kid, was that released about '85?  I think i used to watch it on HBO all the time.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2003, 01:04:58 PM »
there are alot of movies i like...a top 20 list seems more appropriate to me and really there is no order.

1 Army of Darkness - Hail to the king baby!
2 Pulp Fiction
3 Planet of the Apes(the original)..well pretty much the whole series....
4 Donny Darko
5 The Ring(the affect that movie had on me is too much to ignore)
6 The Matrix (the first time i watched it and had no idea what the movie was supposed to be about)
7 Lord of the Rings trilogy(i consider them one long movie)
8 The labyrinth
9 The Lion King  
10 Death Becomes her...that was a great movie....
11 Interview with a Vampire
12 Alladin
13 The Little Mermaid
14 Logan's Run
15 The Godfather part 1
16 Indiana Jones trillogy
17 Rocky
18 Maverick
19 Lightning Jack
20 Wyatt Erp

damn i just keep coming up with more...... perhaps ill make it a top 40 list...or more
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2003, 01:16:44 PM »
1. Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
2. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
4. Raiders of the lost ark
5. Lion King(For some reason I just love it, and I don't care that it's a cartoon. )
6. Monthy Pyhon and The Holy Grail(The bunny is Awesome! And the Black Knight!)
7. Back to The Future
8. Back to The future 2
9. Back to the Future 3
10. Ace Ventura

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2003, 01:24:06 PM »
*Gives The Omen a cookie*

Yeah, BB was released in 1984...And that's an interesting idea you bring up about the alien, because I can't see how the stereotypical big-eyed alien could be scary...

Thumbs down for the cheaters putting all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies as one thing
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2003, 01:25:29 PM »
Death Becomes Her. . . yeah.  Beatlegeuse (or however you spell it) and Edward Scissorhands are also good movies. . . just thinking of vaguely comical, dark, surreal movies.  Any other suggestions would be nice. . . I like that genre. . . if it can be called a genre.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2003, 01:35:03 PM »

Yeah, BB was released in 1984...And that's an interesting idea you bring up about the alien, because I can't see how the stereotypical big-eyed alien could be scary...

I guess it comes down to if you believe in them or not.  I personally do believe thats what they look like, so it scares me more.  Call me crazy.  Plus my phobia with the preying mantis, and now you see the trend ... i guess watching 'Communion' has had an effect on me, though prior i to seeing it i believed.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2003, 01:44:43 PM »
KnowsNothing's favorite movies (in no particular order):

Cowboy BeBop da Movie
Princess Mononoke
The Matrix
LotR: The Fellowship of dat Ring-a-ling
LotR:  Da Dos Towers
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Star Wars 4, 5, 6
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
Signs
Pirates of the Carribean

There's some others, but i really don't watch movies too often.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2003, 02:34:25 PM »

On a side note the worst movies I have seen recently are Dream Catcher and the MAtrix reloaded, what the hell was with the 8 minute dance video/love scene? This was the worst movie I have ever seen.
I couldn't agree with you more on the Matrix Reloaded, the first half of the movie was terrible and I've never seen a fight seen that I just was wishing it would end EXCEPT when Neo was fighting the million or trillion, whatever it was, Agent Smiths.

Well, here's mine, no particular order:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Boondock Saints

Enemy at the Gates

A Few Good Men

Gladiator

Scent of a Woman

Finding Nemo

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Ocean's Eleven the remake

I'm sure I forgot multiple movies.  Maybe I'll remember some sometime...
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2003, 03:08:03 PM »
shout out to Ian Sane for including ben-hur and to thecubedcanuck for his denouncing of the matrix reloaded. my top ten list changes all the time so i will try to get a good over all list. here are 20 that i like:

american beauty
lord of the rings:fellowship
ben:hur
American history X
fight club
star wars:a new hope
gladiator
god father 1
platoon
lawrence of arabia
matrix
boondock saints
my cousin vinny
toy story
signs
pirates of the carribean
xmen 2
training day
scent of a woman
shankshaw redemption

i havent seen a lot of the older movies, but i am trying to do that so i can become more cultured. for those who havent seen movies like lawrence of arabia or ben:hur, i highly recommend it. i also added movies that i really like that...hahahah...arent really good movies...but i find them entertaining. this is in no particular order.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine