Author Topic: Just got Super Mario 3...  (Read 3482 times)

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Just got Super Mario 3...
« on: October 14, 2003, 05:12:13 PM »
...a WEEK early! I saw it at Wal-Mart today and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get it before the official launch. The only thing I can say that hasn't been said is that my copy had SEVEN e-Cards instead of just two that was reported earlier.
Anyway, go check your local Wal-Marts and see if they've got it in too.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Just got Super Mario 3...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 05:19:13 PM »
Oh nos!  I spent my last bit of money on my Angelic Layer DVD!  Looks like I'm going to have to do some sucking up to my parents
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline swimguy228

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 06:04:37 PM »
I found a copy of the game at Best Buy today when I was picking up the Matrix Reloaded. Too bad they didn't have the e-reader cards though.
I pitty da fool who bought da Xbox. ~ Mr. T

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
RE: Just got Super Mario 3...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 07:56:55 PM »
HOLY SHITE!!! Wal-Mart actually got a game in early? My local Wal-Mart usually gets games in a month after the release date. Zelda is about the only exception to that.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 03:57:47 PM »
I'm already on World 6... heh heh, if I keep this up, I'll finish the game before it's supposed to be released!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 06:57:20 PM »
SMA4 arrived in most stores a couple days ago.  However, they were NOT supposed to sell it until Tuesday ... there's a large label on the boxes to that effect.  WalMart broke the date.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 09:25:32 PM »
Alright, I gotta ask the dumb question?

What are the consequences of breaking the street date? Does Nintendo or [insert company here] threaten legal action against [retailer]? Does management fire the clerk who sold it?

I'm a little cheesed that people are getting it early, I pre-orderded because I know people would eat this one up in a jiffy! Guess I lost out and have to wait till the release date hmmm?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 02:41:13 AM »
yeah, i often wondered what would happen to stores that broke release dates, i (and the rest of the aussies) got Soul Calibur 2 before the official release date (all of one day ) so i guess its not that bad,  what could a publisher do to a store that broke date?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 03:03:17 AM »
The store can be fined or Ninty can decide not to supply those stores with their products anymore...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 06:25:19 AM »
Yeah, thats what they all told me about the gamecube back on launch....granted thats a little bit bigger, but they all said they are in the back room but we will be fined heavily if we bring it out.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline WackerJr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 06:28:30 AM »
I've just got the game, but then again, today is the official launch day for the UK. No e-cards tho!!! In fact, no e-reader yet!!!

A question for anyone that does have the game: I don't know if they have included e-reader support over here in Blighty (there's no mention of it anywhere). I've only played it for about 20mins so far, but I haven't found any option for the e-reader, is there one in your game? If so, where? So I can check, please say they have included it!!!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 08:10:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill
The store can be fined or Ninty can decide not to supply those stores with their products anymore...

yeah...that's just what nintendo needs...to pull its product off the shelves of walmart and best buy.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 07:07:13 AM »
Blizzard sued a lot of retailers for selling Diablo 2 too early. I bet N could do the same (Anticompetitive behaviour, breach of contract, whichever fits).

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 06:29:47 PM »
Say, did anybody get the rumble feature to work on the Game Boy layer? I cant seem to get it to work on mine. (Yes, I'm using a regular GCN controller, yes its in port 1)
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 06:36:39 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
yeah...that's just what nintendo needs...to pull its product off the shelves of walmart and best buy.

Notice I said, "can decide."  Nintendo would obviously rather sue than pull their product...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2003, 04:11:31 PM »
There are actually times when Nintendo will call the major stores and tell them to go ahead and sell a game early.  This is probably the case with SMA4, considering that practically every major retailer did break the date.  The same happened with the N64; I bought mine a few days before the official launch at EB.  Probably the idea is that hardcore people will see the game already on sale and buy it early, and then there will be extra word of mouth hype by the time the release date arrives and the masses start to buy it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2003, 04:35:24 PM »
Damn you all!  My local stores won't let go of their golden Super Mario 3 stash until Tuesday!

*pouts*

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2003, 08:01:43 PM »
Sorry Bill I gotta rub it in...

Just called my local Gamestop earlier in the day and they said it was ready to sell. I show up, (Was a little late for work but for Mario? Its worth it...) the manager himself sold me a copy, saying "Other retailers broke the street date and we followed suit. But we NEVER break the street date first..."

I managed to beat the first world on the bus ride back. Pity I may never put my e-reader cards to good use...(Lest I beg Gamestop to try out a seperate GBA with a e-reader...)
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa