Author Topic: HBO Max  (Read 53174 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: HBO Max
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 01:54:24 PM »
HBO Max making BIG MOVES!!!

‘Dune,’ ‘Matrix 4,’ and Every 2021 Warner Bros. Film to Debut on HBO Max and in Theaters at Same Time
All of the studios' 2021 titles will be available to stream on HBO Max for one month at the same time they open in theaters.
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/dune-matrix-all-warner-bros-films-hbo-max-1234602168/

Warner Bros. Pictures Group has announced its entire 2021 film slate will open via a “distribution model in which Warner Bros. will continue to exhibit the films theatrically worldwide, while adding an exclusive one month access period on the HBO Max streaming platform in the U.S. concurrent with the film’s domestic release.” The strategy is identical to studio’s upcoming release of “Wonder Woman 1984,” which launches in theaters and on HBO Max for a month on December 25. Following the one-month HBO Max streaming run, all films will continue to play exclusively in theaters “with all customary distribution windows applying to the title.”

Warner Bros. has the following films included on its 2021 slate for now (release dates could change, of course): “The Little Things,” “Judas and the Black Messiah,” “Tom & Jerry,” “Godzilla vs. Kong,” “Mortal Kombat,” “Those Who Wish Me Dead,” “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It,” “In The Heights,” “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” “The Suicide Squad,” “Reminiscence,” “Malignant,” “Dune,” “The Many Saints of Newark,” “King Richard,” “Cry Macho,” and “Matrix 4.”

Gotta get to work on that Home Theater in the extra bedroom asap!!. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 04:47:54 PM »
This is BIG and a huge departure for the industry.  It'll be interesting to see if other studios follow suit.  The premium model didn't seem to work for Disney, although it worked for Trolls 2, and now WB is going the other way.  To be fair, HBO Max is a premium service and the releases are temporary.  Unlike D+ which is cheaper, but more niche, so a one off premium may have been a tougher sell to its market.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
I think the premium model works out better if you don't need to already subscribe to access the movie.

Was Mulan available everywhere for a premium? or only on D+?
I never checked.... actually, that should be free on D+ by now too, right?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 04:11:46 AM »
I don't know if you are talking about value added then 1 purchase to watch the movies you want at 14.99 a month.  If a couple or a family was going to see one movie a month then they already have paid for the service in spades.  Where the Premium I am going to own a movie for $30.00...great but I spend $30.00. 

Now HBO won't bring in the same money in the theaters for Return on Investment, but they may be able to remodel their advertising for movies and marketing and budgets to make up that money.  It is an interesting experiment and obviously, Netflix has been doing well with making direct to streaming movies, that are sometimes released in theaters as well. 

It honestly makes me want to try HBO Max.  I wonder if HBO Max works better with a VPN than Disney + because right now Disney+ in S.K. sucks.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 03:35:22 PM »
HBO Max no longer offers one-week free trial

Makes sense. I would have signed up for the trial to watch Wonder Woman 1984 for free.

Semi-related: HBO Max is offering a limited time deal (ends January 15, 2021) of 20% for six months if you pre-pay so $69.99 plus tax.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2020, 08:36:59 PM »
I think the premium model works out better if you don't need to already subscribe to access the movie.

Was Mulan available everywhere for a premium? or only on D+?
I never checked.... actually, that should be free on D+ by now too, right?

It was only on D+, but available to stream now regularly. And it was a bad move since paying $7 for the right to pay $30 is a bad value proposition.  It raises the questions of "Why pay twice?" and "What was I already paying for?"  I think Mulan could've done better if it was on the other services, since it naturally would've had a significantly broader market.  But Disney probably saw this as a potential billion dollar box office (under normal conditions) and wanted to try and keep as much of whatever revenues they were in-house as possible.

Meanwhile, WB is eating some losses on potential earnings here.  The $15/month price on HBO Max looks amazing if you frame it as "I'd normally pay $12 to see this movie, but for $3 more I can watch HBO".  And killing the one-week free trial is a smart business move.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2020, 12:25:14 PM »
Yeah, that was my point.

If you could browse content, but not actually watch it until you subscribe, you would've then seen that Mulan was available to rent for a premium.
If you weren't already a D+ subscriber, I assume Mulan just didn't exist as you could only find it on D+, which you had to already have a subscription to, and then pay extra to watch.
That limits exposure.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2020, 02:10:11 PM »
Yeah, I was agreeing and elaborating.

I honestly think it made people reluctant to sign up even more hesitant to do so since it hindered the value proposition.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2020, 06:34:07 PM »
No Eddie Murphy Dragon no purchase!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2020, 08:55:31 PM »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
No Eddie Murphy Dragon no purchase!

And no songs, no good character development, no good at all. The remakes all seem to be getting worse over time. Jungle Book and Maleficent actually tried to be different and Beauty and the Beast at least stayed on the exact same path as its predecessor minus some weird design and narrative side choices.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
I liked most of the changes Beauty and the Beast made. The Paris scene was nonsensical, save for re-establishing the setting as Paris, but most of the rest of it closed the loopholes from the original.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2020, 02:04:41 PM »
And I haven't even seen either Mulan actually. This movie just sounds like a boring war movie about a drag king. I'd rather watch "Just One of the Guys" which continues the constant war of people who look like Ralph Macchio and William Zabka.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2020, 07:14:11 PM »
I won't like I have been eyeing HBO Max ever since this announcement and I know it pisses off the film makers and the movie theater industry, but I don't care.  I like this idea.  movie theaters are nice and will always make companies more money, but it also is old school. 

I want to just watch my shows at home now...it is convenient and just as fun.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2021, 05:30:49 PM »
Same Day Theater and HBO Max Movies!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8maofAPvkJM

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 12:28:41 AM »
Was that the first look at the new Space Jam just casually sneaked in there?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2021, 04:12:28 PM »
HBO Adult Animation involves Velma from Scooby Doo series....
And no... It's not the Adult Animation based on Velma you are probably thinking of. It's an origin story (.... Perverts!! 😋)

https://www.ign.com/articles/hbo-max-new-adult-animated-shows-including-velma-dinkley-origin-story

Also includes revival of Clone High.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2021, 05:19:29 PM »
I was ordering Scooby Doo action figures from China. I was buying random assortments for 16 dollars and individual figures from 9-13 dollars. I contacted the seller and told them I would order another assortment, but I really didn't want duplicates. The seller told me don't worry, just give a list. When the 3 weeks of delivery time elapsed and I finally got my figures I got all the figures I didn't want. They were all duplicates. It was clearly a misunderstanding, I wasn't going to give them a bad review. And then their store disappeared off ebay. It was odd too because they weren't terribly bad reviewed, I did business with them before,  and had 100s of customers. It was sort of funny though. I ordered 6 figures and they sent me 7.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2021, 07:46:14 PM »
I was ordering Scooby Doo action figures from China. I was buying random assortments for 16 dollars and individual figures from 9-13 dollars. I contacted the seller and told them I would order another assortment, but I really didn't want duplicates. The seller told me don't worry, just give a list. When the 3 weeks of delivery time elapsed and I finally got my figures I got all the figures I didn't want. They were all duplicates. It was clearly a misunderstanding, I wasn't going to give them a bad review. And then their store disappeared off ebay. It was odd too because they weren't terribly bad reviewed, I did business with them before,  and had 100s of customers. It was sort of funny though. I ordered 6 figures and they sent me 7.

Can I just ask.... since I'm sure someone else will be thinking the same thing as me....

but wut duz dat hav 2 do wit HBO Max n Velma adult anime?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2021, 10:36:16 PM »
HBO Adult Animation involves Velma from Scooby Doo series....
And no... It's not the Adult Animation based on Velma you are probably thinking of. It's an origin story (.... Perverts!! 😋)

We already got Velma's origin story. It was called "A Pup Named Scooby Doo".

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2021, 12:33:29 AM »
My Roku has HBO Max?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2021, 01:36:44 AM »
What does that have to do with an adult Velma cartoon?

Velma is in Scooby Doo.

looks like Velma lost her glasses again.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2021, 07:10:27 PM »
Dude, you were on about some SD action figures from China.
But whatever, this is afree space to share all our random thoughts. 😋

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2021, 07:36:01 PM »
Sometimes my thought are two or three degrees away from the subject. Still relative. Not totally random. Not quite in Shelly Duvall territory. I'm not there yet. Give it some time.  During October I was watching a lot of Scooby Doo on HBO Max. I was going to start a Scooby Doo thread, but Pokepal beat me to it. Speaking of adult Velma origin stories

straight from the Scooby Thread.

I'm a long time fan of Velma. Thank Linda Cardellini for that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2021, 04:41:38 PM »