Author Topic: Yet another lawsuit against VG makers.....  (Read 5486 times)

Offline BrianSLA

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Yet another lawsuit against VG makers.....
« on: September 08, 2003, 11:24:40 PM »
http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/gma/US/GMA030905Grand_theft_murders.html

>> two stepbrothers, 16-year-old William and 14-year-old Joshua Buckner, that escape turned deadly earlier this summer. They told police they were emulating Grand Theft Auto on the night of June 25 when they took shotguns to Interstate 40, near their Newport, Tenn., home, and opened fire on vehicles. ........ The family of a slain motorist has filed suit against the maker of a video game that two teens claim inspired them to shoot at passing cars on a Tennessee highway. <<

GEE you think the family would be pissed off that TWO absolute Freakin' MORONS who would emulate a freakin' video game would be more concerned that said morons got hold of shotguns instead of a video game. If you read the rest of the article the two boys said they were sorry. BooHoo. They both should be executed... get rid of the dummies of the human race.

AND you gotta love the money grubbing scumbag lawyer for the family who says

>> "The industry needs to cough up money so victims and their families can be compensated for their pain," Thompson said. "The shareholders need to know what their games are doing to kids and their families. They need to stop pushing adult rated products to kids. These products are deadly."  <<

AGAIN you would think they would blame the SHOTGUNS instead of the video game. But the lawyer wants money.
AND you would think they would blame the irresponsible PARENTS of the two morons who bought the kids a MATURE rated game AND allowed their moron irresponsible kids access to SHOTGUNS.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: Yet another lawsuit against VG makers.....
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 11:35:33 PM »
bloody idiots.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2003, 11:41:23 PM »
yay, scape goating is so fun isn't it! if doom isn't corrupting this planet's youth its grand theft auto, I play grand theft auto, and extremely placid, but nope! thanks to a few nutcases (vocal minority anyone?) they try and wreck it for everyone

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Yet another lawsuit against VG makers.....
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2003, 11:42:48 PM »
  Typical.  I dont even bat an eyelash at these stupid lawsuits.  In the 80's, it was metal music.  90's, rap.  Games are selling huge, so of course, it must be the games influencing these dopes to kill, not the dunce kids who are all f'd up in the head to begin with.  I've listened to Metallica, Black Sabbath and Nine inch Nails, Korn and NWA, and i've played Doom, GTA, Splatterhouse and RE, not to mention being a horror film freak, yet somehow, i've managed to be a semi-normal human.  I must be blessed!  Oh, wait , i am blessed-with common sense.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 02:08:15 AM »
I was going to say Rednecks, but I think I don't need to. I am suprised no one has emulated the movie "Falling Down" yet. now if your going to emulate anything it is that movie.

Both parties are messed up. Money grabing in its prime form.

Anybody want to take bets when the next nutcase is going to pop-up and what game will be the next scapegoat? Everybody knows where the smart money is going.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 03:28:27 AM »
The only people that should be blamed are the two stupid kids who though it would be cool to pretend they're in Grand Theft Auto.

And I don't see how money can compensate for pain- that's just being greedy, if you ask me.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 04:02:47 AM »
It was things like this that made me a firm believer in the philosophy of Hobbes.  

"'Good' and 'evil' are inconstant names applied haphazardly by different men to what attracts or repels them. This egotistical psychology makes the life of man in a pre-social state of nature, 'nasty, brutish and short,' a constant war of everyman with everyman."

I do find it funny that whenever a kid is involved with a crime, people look to videogames to blame instead of the parents.  Who is raising the damn kid: The videogame or the parent?  Just like when people thought the "I am God" that the Washington sniper wrote had something to do with "God Mode" in Doom.  It makes me sick...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 05:52:54 AM »
Lawsuits in this country are a plague.  It's very convenient to try to pin responsibility on a company who could potentially pay out millions of dollars.  Why aren't they going after the parents of these kids?  Why don't the victims sue them and force them to sell their homes/cars/etc. to pay for what their horrible children have done?  I think the parents do have some responsibility.  I am so sick of hearing about kids doing horrible things and the parents wringing their hands because they can't believe little BillyBob would do such a thing.  Especially when in many cases the kids were having problems.  No kid is going to go from being a well adjusted person to someone who is shooting at passing cars on a highway just because they played a video game.  Where did the boys in this story get the gun?  I doubt GTA provided it inside the game case.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 06:58:07 AM »
I blame the church. Why? Errr... Oh, look there, Iran's got ICBMs!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 10:12:08 AM »
well im going to emulate mario and jump on things to save a princess!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 11:21:47 AM »
Judges aren't stupid. They'll throw out the case, just like the others

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 11:53:53 AM »
Ty: SOME Jugdes are stupid- just look at Alabama.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2003, 11:55:36 AM »
Good idea, PIAC!  I'll help and be Luigi.

Nothing to say about the actual topic. . . just a bunch of idiots running around pissing on each other, basically.  Boring.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2003, 12:49:20 PM »
What a great idea!  I can be Yoshi and lick things, and shoot eggs out my........never mind
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2003, 12:56:28 PM »
This is what I think of all this:

*farts*
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2003, 12:57:35 PM »
This is what I think of double posts:

*sticks out tongue*  

Offline The Blue Baron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2003, 01:24:30 PM »
are triple posts bad?

*considers posting three times but then decides the effort of typing would be too great*

this typing makes me hungry i think im going to eat some muffins

MUFFINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population."
David Letterman.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2003, 01:28:17 PM »
I've triple posted twice before.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2003, 01:52:25 PM »
double and triple posts don't happen on purpose, they happen becuase the site feels like picking on you, but TRIPLE-POSTING?!?  wow....congrats.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2003, 05:24:54 PM »
Wait, what happened in Alabama now?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2003, 10:52:28 PM »
Brian: 'dummies' is a poor way to define them. It's just that small minority of the population that are unable to define between reality and games, and end up making headlines because of their incompetence.

The industry needs to cough up money so victims and their families can be compensated for their pain,"
No, the industry is not at fault. There are warnings on these games, about violence and such. Short of censoring every game that makes you think, the only way parents can ensure games are right for their kids is to sit down and play with them.
In this time of five-minute workouts and two minute noodles (mmmm), parenting seems to have lost the way, and the slack is only picked up when something goes wrong, and everyone grabs their pitchforks and flaming torches and goes after the nearest witch.

If anyone's at fault, it should be the parents. They are responsible for the actions of the children, after all.
But I guess that's not where the money is, is it?
But I hate lawyers above all this. It's their fault everyone is suing everyone else.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2003, 03:30:05 AM »
Craziness shouldn't be an excuse for not keeping up with world events, Ty. Remember that Alabama Supreme Court judge who placed the Ten Commandments monument in in his court house, and then refused to have it removed when the national Supreme Court orded him to? I'm not here to debate the religious side of this, but he knowingly violated our First Ammendment, which states that the government can make no establishment of religion. Should judges like him be the one protecting the constitution?

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2003, 04:30:51 AM »
Actually, I'd say I do keep up pretty well with world events, but I guess slipped under some sort of radar. If he's going against supreme court orders, he's gonna get thrown down with the fried chicken, probably

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2003, 08:58:46 AM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy

Anybody want to take bets when the next nutcase is going to pop-up and what game will be the next scapegoat? Everybody knows where the smart money is going.

this just in:
according to cnn.netster someone in scaggsville, new jersey has gone around splashing paint over the entire town.  Then he took a squirt gun and went around spraying it "feverishly" at the paint while creatures started coming out of the paint which residents in the town have claimed have magical properties.  
When asked why he did it,  lawyers for the 10 year old child said he was just emulating Mario Sunshine.

it was time for a change.

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2003, 09:03:30 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Craziness shouldn't be an excuse for not keeping up with world events, Ty. Remember that Alabama Supreme Court judge who placed the Ten Commandments monument in in his court house, and then refused to have it removed when the national Supreme Court orded him to? I'm not here to debate the religious side of this, but he knowingly violated our First Ammendment, which states that the government can make no establishment of religion. Should judges like him be the one protecting the constitution?

He's probaly one of the ones who proposed the official name of "French Fries" be changed to "Freedom Fries."

I could run this entire country by myself with all the knowledge in me bum, better than all the people in office at this moment.... ok maybe not all of them.
it was time for a change.