Author Topic: 2014 - the year the world will end  (Read 15369 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
2014 - the year the world will end
« on: September 02, 2003, 04:28:34 PM »
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/nation/6674108.htm

In 2014 we're all going to be killed by Asteriods! OH NO!

*runs around the streets screaming like a pansy*

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:2014 - the year the world will end
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 05:02:43 PM »
It's 2012, not 2014- the Mayans' calender (which was MUCH more accurate than ours is) stops on December 23rd, 2012, which marks the end of our epoch and the beginning of the next. I believe we're supposed to die by earthquake or fire, not sure.

About asteroids- I've read up a lot on asteroids and near Earth collisions, and you would not believe how many times we've come extremely close to complete and utter obliteration. Most of the time we don't even realize we were barely missed until after it happened.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline CardBoardBox

• Official Forum Blast Processor
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: 2014 - the year the world will end
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 05:14:02 PM »
I think ill just wait....and when we dont die ill be laughing at your very stupid predictions =)

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 09:20:45 PM »
Yes there are too many of these to take seriously. It will more than likely be another near miss.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 11:02:12 PM »
They're saying there's about a one in a MILLION chance of an impact, and that's in 2014.
But it's not definite, because its in 2014, and they will get more data about it.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 11:11:36 PM »
I thought it was 2010?  Or is that when the scum of Cali drown in their filth....i mean ...when California sinks?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 12:32:36 AM »
Homer: Don't worry, I've built us a bomb shelter. *Points to cardboard box in backyard with USA #1 written on it, and an umbrella sticking out*
Lisa: THAT isn't going to protect us from anything!
Homer: Fine, don't use it then.
Lisa: I won't.
Homer: Fine.

Welp, it's 1 in a 90,000 chance it'll hit Earth. Better start lootin'!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 12:35:42 AM »
1 in 90,000? I like those odds!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 01:16:00 AM »
allright.. its 1980, saturday night, alone as usuall, i have my rush mix tape and a bottle of shasta lets rock

*gets in A and goes off to defend earth

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 03:36:30 AM »
I'd rather be killed by centipedes.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 04:18:44 AM »
It happened at the end of the Cretaceous, it will happen again...Just not for a very long time.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2003, 08:32:03 AM »
By 2014 I'll be in my thirties and likely married with a bunch of bratty kids and bills to pay.  I figure I'll want to be killed by an asteroid by then anyways so it's all fine.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2003, 10:15:28 AM »
I thought I was the only one who believed that the world was going to end in 2012.  No body at school believes me.  In fact, they kind of look at me funny and slowly back away....strange....
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2003, 10:17:58 AM »
hows this! i belive the world will clone its self in 2018! and then there will be two! and then a ham daemon will come... and a giant squirrel... the squirrel is my friend ^_^

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2003, 12:30:28 PM »
The world ended back in 1999 when Lavos rose up from the earth and the screen shook a lot

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2003, 01:26:31 PM »
No, the world ended yesterday when I saw the school raised the soda prices by a quarter.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2003, 01:39:04 PM »
How much is it now, KnowsNothing? At my school the vending machines run a dollar for bottled stuff and 60 cents for canned.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2003, 01:42:24 PM »
Poor Aussies get it bad in everything...stupid importing costs.  I feel sorry for you guys

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2003, 01:43:25 PM »
We only get bottles, and it's now $1.25.  Too rich for my blood.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2003, 01:49:06 PM »
Thatis pretty steep- I don't even like buying canned stuff at my school.

Bill: KnowsNothing isn't Australian.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2003, 01:53:12 PM »
Asteroid hmmm?
I find it so funny in the films when they can only see the thing coming in like a year (Deep Impact), or less than a bloody month (Armageddon).
I think the most pointless of all end-of-the-world related news was when they reported that there's the possibility that an asteroid WILL destroy Earth......

In just less than a million year's time.
-_______________-

But 2010/12/14? We won't be up to the point of Back to the Future part 2 yet!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2003, 01:54:20 PM »
Asteroid hmmm?
I find it so funny in the films when they can only see the thing coming in like a year (Deep Impact), or less than a bloody month (Armageddon).
I think the most pointless of all end-of-the-world related news was when they reported that there's the possibility that an asteroid WILL destroy Earth......

In just less than a million year's time.
-_______________-

But 2010/12/14? We won't be up to the point of Back to the Future part 2 yet!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2003, 03:24:15 PM »
Termin8, are you being sarcastic about the people in the movies only knowing a year or a month in advance of an Earth killing asteroid? Like I said before, most of the time we didn't even realize we were almost hit by an Earth killer until after the fact. It's very likely that if we are ever hit by a gigantic asteroid, it will be with absolutely no prior notice.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2003, 03:51:44 PM »
Except for the giant flaming ball of doom.  The way I figure, from when we first see the rock thing, to when it hits, there will be enough time to get in Homer's shelter.

What would we do if an asteroid was about to hit?  Just sit there and die?  Sound like a plan!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2003, 04:09:23 PM »
There's very little to do. I mean, how do you stop a 10 kilometer hunk of rock on a collision course for Earth? If they recognized it early enough, they might be able to send out a nuclear charge. It wouldn't blow up the rock at all, like was portrayed in Armageddon, but it would alter it's course just enough that the asteroid would miss Earth. Other than that, though, we're pretty much helpless. Almost any form of defense requires prior notice, and like I've said, that's something you rarely get with killer asteroids.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2003, 04:21:54 PM »
Ouch!  I never knew schools liked to rip off their students.

Offline The Dark Tower

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2003, 04:36:26 PM »
There is probably a better chance of a thread staying on topic than there is an asteroid hitting the Earth.  But there is always that chance.

As Lingo Dog put it:

"You will all DIE!!!!... someday."
"It's not a tuma'!!"

-The Govenor of California

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2003, 06:09:16 PM »
Dark Tower- I assume you mean an asteroid hitting Earth in 2014. An Earth killing asteroid WILL hit Earth eventually, and most likely very soon, although the odds of it happening in 2014 specifically is very small. The last major collision was 65 million years ago, and that caused the extinction of nearly all animal species on Earth. A smaller, yet still significant, impact happened about 17,000 years ago, which is believe to have quickly ended the ice age and caused the extinction of many ice age animals (like the mammoth, saber toothed tiger, etc). We're due for a large collision soon in geological terms, although I severely doubt it will happen in our life time.

And if you all want examples of what asteroids can do, look at Mars. Mars used to be a lush planet with running water and an oxygen rich atmosphere, much like Earth. It's now believed that 3 imcomprobably big asteroids, measuring, I believe, 10, 20 and 40 or so kilometeres across, crashed into the southern hemisphere of the planet. It destroyed Mars's atmosphere, evaporated it's water, created Olympus Mons (the solar system's largest volcano) through volcanic activity, created the gigantic canyon (again, the largest in the solar system) through intense stress and created 3 huge bulges on the opposite side of the planet. THAT'S what could happen to Earth.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2003, 06:14:57 PM »
Thats interesting, what would we do if an asteriod was coming the NEXT DAY and there was nothing we could do to stop it. Sit there? Play Nintendo games ? Run outside and scream as loud as we can? Throw rocks at the asteriod in an attempt to, stop it? Run around having sex with every person of the opposite sex in sight? Eat pie?

Hmmm, i have no idea what i would do...

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2003, 07:03:26 PM »
you know what I'd do?

I'd put my gear on, and ride Epona to the Snowhead, Stone Tower, Woodfall and Great Bay Temples to get the essencese of the four bosses there, then use the power of my ocarina  to summon the great guardians to destroy the moon when it gets here!

Oh wait, did I say moon? I meant Asteroid. Yes. Aster.....moon....
ARRGH!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2003, 01:50:30 AM »
We need more pollution. Maybe it will burn up. yeah thats the way. We can then deal with gobal warning later.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2003, 02:53:58 AM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
We only get bottles, and it's now $1.25.  Too rich for my blood.

it's 1.25 at some of the malls in maryland now for bottled soda.  and also, don't believe in any of that "end of the world crap" because there is no such thing as it.  And if the asteroid is on a collision course with earth, i think 11 years is enough time to do something about it.  Supposedly, we would need at least 7 years to do anything that would have any real effect in preventing the asteroid strike and we have 4 years surplus.  so i wouldn't worry.  well then again, there are always those unseen asteroids with no warnings. so maybe we will all die.  ya know, if you really want to get freaked out, there are millions of black holes out there in our galaxy alone, and they are very teeny tiney, about the size of a marble or less, anyway, you can't see those untill they start to suck of matter of the sun or planets, so there could be numerous black-holes just looming out there, waiting to suck everything up.
it was time for a change.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2003, 03:23:26 AM »
Your confidence startles me, Marcus- even if we DID have an 11 year head start, we probably wouldn't be able to do much. The only thing anyone's come up with is the nucelar charge, but that has to work just perfectly. If it doesn't alter the asteroid's course, it could change it's angle of descent, possibly making the impact worse. Or it could hit or moon, which would be devestating to Earth if it caused enough damage. There really isn't much to DO about an asteroid, whether we know about years in advance or not.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2003, 04:14:37 AM »
We could throw rocks at it! And make funny faces at it! Yeah!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2003, 07:31:07 AM »
"Thats interesting, what would we do if an asteriod was coming the NEXT DAY and there was nothing we could do to stop it."

Well I certainly wouldn't go to work that morning.