Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 79042 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2019, 09:57:36 PM »
He does have a vinyard. Does he have any idea whats going on? Doesn't he have a neurodegenerative disease, or was that Ryker?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2019, 10:14:48 PM »
The degenerative disease was only seen in the alternate future in the TNG finale, so it's not clear if that was a real thing or just something Q threw in there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2019, 12:48:24 AM »
Is he a wine bootlegger? Is All Good Things nothing but Picard getting himself and his dog blind drunk?

Wine: The Grapes of Wrath.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2019, 01:30:39 AM »
It was mentioned somewhere that Picard had a vinyard when he retired. I don't remember where.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2019, 01:35:46 AM »
La Forge shows up to look after Picard from time to time and he is in a vineyard(Paris?) when that happens. That scene last 30 seconds, a scene Picard seems to be entirely banking on. Picard wasn't the Captain of the Flagship of the UFP, he has always being a wine maker and drinks nothing else, not even water let alone Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2019, 01:41:34 AM »
There's also that he's French and it's lost on us because the Universal Translators gives him a delightful British accent.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2019, 01:45:05 AM »
iirc this is also the same vineyard that his nephew and extended(?) family burned to death in.

I can't stop laughing.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2019, 01:47:11 AM »
I don't know why you think it's funny, him being the last living Picard hit him pretty hard and it's easy to imagine him wanting to carry on the family's legacy. His regrets about his family were a major part of the plot of Generations.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:49:28 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2019, 01:53:41 AM »
It was something horrible.

When re-contextualised to this marketing campaign that is nothing but this vineyard you can't help but laugh. It's almost like they don't know a thing about Star Trek or Picard other than he was in a  Vineyard in the last episode in what was a possible future(Q) instead of the final idea that Picard has free will and the his future wasn't destined to be a forgetful old man when he joins the card game.

It tries really hard to forget who or what Picard is.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2019, 01:56:44 AM »
He's living up retirement with wine testing, hating on his Luddite family members, working as a greeter at the local terraforming conventions, keeping tabs on his android black market dealer neighbors, and dogsitting for Q. How is this not the best show ever?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2019, 01:58:21 AM »
It's not a marketing campaign, it's a fucking teaser image. It's not trying hard to do anything. The premise of the show involves him having left Starfleet years before, possibly having something to do with the Romulan crisis, and what else is an elderly retired Picard going to do but go back to his family vineyard? But no, you've already made up your mind that it's terrible without having seen any of it and are trying to justify that based on nothing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2019, 02:15:32 AM »
One of the points of the end of All Good Things is that he doesn't have end up at the vineyard, to continue to explore the galaxy. The reason he was at the vineyard is because of time induced brain rot.

The first teaser literally opens up like a wine commercial. New poster: Vineyard again. *AT ST AT ST*

Also a teaser is not part of a marketing campaign?? Is this fan art for a show that doesn't exist?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2019, 02:49:27 AM »
It seems pretty clear there was some sort of falling out between Picard and Starflert that caused him to walk away. He could still be exploring space, but he made a conscious decision not to. And it's not like the show is set at the vineyard and about him making wine, it's just where he was before he got pulled back into another adventure.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2019, 09:22:18 AM »
But, the poster!

All things are terrible because of a poster!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
One of the points of the end of All Good Things is that he doesn't have end up at the vineyard, to continue to explore the galaxy. The reason he was at the vineyard is because of time induced brain rot.

The first teaser literally opens up like a wine commercial. New poster: Vineyard again. *AT ST AT ST*

Also a teaser is not part of a marketing campaign?? Is this fan art for a show that doesn't exist?

Jesus Christ...it's a fucking POSTER based on the iconography most associated with "old Picard." Not everything is an indication of CBS' cluelessness/disdain for Star Trek lore and fandom. I'll remind you that in the last film Picard was in, he threw out the Prime Directive because he wanted to re-enact Mad Max on a dune buggy. Star Trek lore is hardly sacred.

The poster looks fine. I'll reserve my judgement for a real trailer.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:21:40 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 03:51:28 PM »
It seems pretty clear there was some sort of falling out between Picard and Starflert that caused him to walk away. He could still be exploring space, but he made a conscious decision not to. And it's not like the show is set at the vineyard and about him making wine, it's just where he was before he got pulled back into another adventure.

Quoting this alone because of Starflert.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2019, 05:19:09 PM »
Quote from: broodwars
I'll remind you that in the last film Picard was in, he threw out the Prime Directive because he wanted to re-enact Mad Max on a dune buggy.

I've had a running theory that everything post-Generations has occured within the Nexus and is just the Nexus fulfilling his desires. He wanted to leave the Nexus and save the day.  Boom, he's released and stops the baddie in a big action-adventure.  He has some reverence for the former Captain of the USS Enterprise and his research on the Nexus surely brought his thoughts about Kirk to the foreground.  Boom, he gets to team up with him, displaced from time!  He loves history and archeology.  Boom, he's thrust back to one of the most pivotal moments in mankind's development.  He has some serious issues with the Borg.  Boom, he gets to defeat them in a grand, explosive moment.  He wants to ride a dune buggy on the surface of a desert planet, Boom, he's riding a dune buggy.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:21:15 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 10:15:44 PM »
But if someone had the ability to enact any of their wildest fantasies, what could possibly make them pick Insurrection?

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 10:26:44 PM »
Not all Enterprise adventures can be super exciting.

The Nexus knows that Picard will never be truly happy unless he believes he is free.  Thus, he occasionally has some lackluster missions.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2019, 09:47:29 PM »
Quote from: broodwars
I'll remind you that in the last film Picard was in, he threw out the Prime Directive because he wanted to re-enact Mad Max on a dune buggy.

I've had a running theory that everything post-Generations has occured within the Nexus and is just the Nexus fulfilling his desires. He wanted to leave the Nexus and save the day.  Boom, he's released and stops the baddie in a big action-adventure.  He has some reverence for the former Captain of the USS Enterprise and his research on the Nexus surely brought his thoughts about Kirk to the foreground.  Boom, he gets to team up with him, displaced from time!  He loves history and archeology.  Boom, he's thrust back to one of the most pivotal moments in mankind's development.  He has some serious issues with the Borg.  Boom, he gets to defeat them in a grand, explosive moment.  He wants to ride a dune buggy on the surface of a desert planet, Boom, he's riding a dune buggy.

That would be a pretty cool story to tell.  And then have someone pull Picard out of the Nexus, and the world he believed in was not right.  If you were in a heaven of your own making being pulled out into the real world again, would you be able to adjust?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2019, 10:23:38 PM »
Think about it... you just spent 50 years in the Nexus, thinking you'd been released five decades ago, then someone comes and pulls you out...

Would you even believe them?  Or would you convince yourself you were *still* in the Nexus?  I mean, for it to be believable, you have to grow old - and the Nexus can only pull that Insurrection damaging trick so many times before you get suspicious.  So, when you age 50 more years, the Nexus is all "Oh, no, lol... here, you're free this time.  wink wink.  ****.  I wasn't supposed to say wink.  Sorry.  New to this.  You're free now.  Promise."

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2019, 04:38:06 PM »
Well, we have a trailer now for Star Trek: Picard and...well...I'm not sure what I think of it, except that it looks like Red Letter Media seems to have totally called what Picard would end up being.  :rolleyes:

We have references to moments and characters from TNG and Voyager, the reappearance of the Borg, and yet another galactic threat that only Picard can resolve...probably by turning his ship into giant boxing gloves to punch the Borg Cubes to death.  :P

The trailer doesn't look terrible, but it's not inspiring confidence either.

https://www.startrek.com/news/brent-spiner-jeri-ryan-jonathan-frakes-return-star-trek-picard-sdcc-hall-h

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2019, 05:21:24 PM »
*drool*  Jeri Ryan.....

I'm certainly intrigued about the series.  I'm far from a trekkie.  The only series I've ever seen is Enterprise which I enjoyed enough.  I have seen the Next Generation movies quite some time ago so I'd be going into this largely ignorant of the happenings of Picard's captainship.  I have picked up various highlights though because the missus watches them all (including the horrific 60s series) on an annual basis.  I'll probably give it a go, though a lot of the references to events and stuff will no doubt be lost on me.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »
*drool*  Jeri Ryan.....

I'm certainly intrigued about the series.  I'm far from a trekkie.  The only series I've ever seen is Enterprise which I enjoyed enough.  I have seen the Next Generation movies quite some time ago so I'd be going into this largely ignorant of the happenings of Picard's captainship.  I have picked up various highlights though because the missus watches them all (including the horrific 60s series) on an annual basis.  I'll probably give it a go, though a lot of the references to events and stuff will no doubt be lost on me.

Yeah, if the trailer's any indication, there could be some deep continuity cuts, like the "Captain Picard Day" banner from TNG's 7th season episode "The Pegasus", which Trek just likes to reference for some strange reason.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2019, 01:29:02 AM »
Data has the mumps!