Author Topic: Disney+  (Read 139086 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Disney+
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2021, 06:38:01 PM »
I think I remember seeing trailers for it, in a theatre, pre-pandemic.  I guess I assumed it came out.  But, iirc, Ryan Reynolds plays an NPC in a video game world and then saves the day or something?  Unless that's a different movie that actually came out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2021, 07:21:32 PM »
That’s the one. I thought this movie came out already. I have no concept of time anymore.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2021, 10:02:17 PM »
How did that not come out yet?  I know I saw the trailer in a theatre.  I guess the studio sat on it that long.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2021, 02:31:41 PM »
I mean, Disney sat on Black Widow for over a year now, and I've heard of other studios doing the same with other films even before the pandemic. Its all about timing for them to maximize their return of investment, though I'm sure it is at the expense of the actor's career since they can't as easily do the news cycle tours to promote their stuff when its stuck in release purgatory.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #279 on: May 24, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense.  It just doesn't register as a "we need to hold on to this until theatres re-open" film like Black Widow.  To me, it seems more like a "We can just put this on VOD now and start recouping the money" type film.  Maybe I underestimate Reynolds's star-power, but the movie just looked so-so.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 02, 2021, 02:19:23 PM »
If I had to guess its because the ROI on ticket sales even for an average performing film are much more than what they can make on VOD. To extrapolate from what we see in the game world, games drastically reduce in value over time so VOD is a slow burn that may trickle off to almost nothing while a theater debut gives a huge blast of profit and then the VOD is the icing on the cake. Its probably even more acute with a mediocre film because those lack the staying power a popular series has to maintain income through VOD performance.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 02, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »
I read somewhere that Black Widow might have been delayed because Scarlett Johansson’s contract entitles her to a percentage of the box office revenue. If the movie went straight to Disney+, she wouldn’t get her cut therefore Disney legally can’t release the movie directly to Disney+ without Johansson willingly giving up millions of dollars (which, let’s be honest, no one would ever do). I suppose Disney could have tried to renegotiate for a cut of the $29.99 Disney+ premium access price, but that would definitely be less than what a Marvel movie would normally pull in, again leaving Johansson very little reason to do this.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2021, 08:13:08 PM »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2022, 03:05:14 PM »
Bumping this because all of the Marvel Netflix shows and Agents of Shield will be moving to Disney+ on March 16th so if you want to watch the shows on Netflix before they go away like I am then now is the time to do it. 

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2022, 03:02:41 AM »
Lol they expired yesterday. I had started watching Jessica Jones season 3 a week ago, but determined I would not be able to watch it fast enough and stopped.

But it's good Disney will have M rated shows. According to USAtoday there are added parental controls on the app.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2022, 01:49:35 PM »
Glad they added parental controls. With how they had already been broadening the library with Marvel and such it was sorely needed.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 17, 2022, 01:52:21 AM »
I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

My Disney+ subscription expires next month. I'm strongly considering the Disney+ and Hulu without ads bundle. I don't need so many streaming services so I may also cancel my recurring Netflix subscription and subscribe only when there's something I really want to watch.

Has anyone else done this or something similar? How is it working out for you?

Just a reminder to everyone, the original 3 year bundle will expire next month.
Those that signed up right away on Day 1, may have even gotten a special package from Disney with small goodies in it.

Check your email for the notice. It says renewal is I think $79.99 for a year, but on the site, I believe you can re-up for $69.99 for the year. Not sure if that changes come next month.
I plan to lock it in early, and then explore the Bundle with Hulu and maybe even ESPN.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #287 on: October 20, 2022, 09:14:08 PM »
I got that notification. I'm on the Hulu ESPN+ bundle. I was basically paying for Hulu + Live TV, and ESPN+ was basically a free add-on. I think I'm all set to go, but I'll double-check.

I think there's an Amex offer and a Rakuten cashback deal to also grab.