Author Topic: Go Go Power Rangers!: Now with less spande- Oh **** here comes Doctor K.  (Read 6167 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
So Beast Morphers looks decent. Some of the line delivery from the actors still feels awkward as hell but from the clips I've seen online it seems pretty alright.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
There are Beast Morphers now?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Yeah apparently. I dunno, like the acting in this scene is solid enough.

for bnm

But in this scene a lot of it feels kind of... not great.

for BNM

I have a feeling that a big part of that is that blue can't emote at all and this is supposed to be an emotional scene for him but I dunno. Disney was generally able to find solid young adult actors for their seasons and help them play the characters they wanted them to portray (With RPM even picking up notable talent like Adelaide Kane, Eka Carville, and Rose McEyver only to have Olivia Tennet completely steal the show with her performance) and that seems to be something the series has really struggled with since Saban got the rights back. It's gotten better over time but it seems like the problem isn't entirely gone and I suspect it's a combination of the actors, the direction, the scripts, that all make it feel so awkward sometimes.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
I still have 8 or so episodes of Super Ninja Steel on the DVR I haven't watched.

I was ranting about PR the other day.  I get it.  It's a terrible kid's show half made from dubbing another terrible show and half bad acting and low quality special effects all designed to sell toys.  The show was never *good* (RPM aside, that season was great) and even the best episodes of the Zordon era are... lackluster without nostaliga-glasses on.  But the series hasn't even hit one step above mediocre since Saban got it back.  I don't know how much is the show's overall budget, how much is Saban-side creative decisions, and how much is Nick-side managerial control... but something needs to change.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Power Rangers at it's best generally has been the show stringing you along between fight scenes (which are by far the thing the show generally does best) with a decent plotline and likable enough characters going through some kind of character arc.

What makes RPM so interesting in my opinion is that it's fight scenes are generally pretty rough, especially by Power Rangers standards. They replaced the obnoxious explosions that most of the Disney Era suffers from with the world's most obnoxious shaky cam and it results in some of the worst fight scenes in the entire series. But RPM fucking nailed everything around the fight scenes by having an amazing storyline, wonderful cast of characters, and creating a dynamic tone that can somehow shift from goofy and silly to super serious on a dime without feeling unnatural and it nailed those things to the point where it doesn't need to rely on the fight scenes at all to be as well regarded as it is. It helps that the worst fight scenes in Power Rangers history are generally still pretty decent by general TV standards.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I used to really like Power Rangers and followed it for a while, up through Ninja Storm, I think?  I think I started falling off when they brought Tommy back for another dinosaur themed season.

I tried to pick it up again for the pirate-y season, but failed to keep up.  Are the new ones easily streamable?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I think it's all on Netflix.  At least, it was.

The not-pirates Piratey season was a complete disaster and I'm sorry that's what you came back to. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Yeah, I was like "Oh pirates are cool" and then saw they could morph into the other Rangers? I thought that was pretty cool, but everyone's reactions to the show were. . .not great.  That made it hard to maintain excitement.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Just watch RPM. You'll thank me later.

It's on Netflix just to be clear.

Oh and Nickmitch? If you're interested in delving into the Super Sentai side of things than GoKaiger which Super Megaforce got it's fight footage from is supposed to be really good.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Yeah, I was like "Oh pirates are cool" and then saw they could morph into the other Rangers? I thought that was pretty cool, but everyone's reactions to the show were. . .not great.  That made it hard to maintain excitement.

There was just... soooo much wrong with that season.

Just watch RPM. You'll thank me later.

It's on Netflix just to be clear.

Also, The History of the Power Rangers is a great series if you want to skip so e of the lesser seasons.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I'll go add these things to my queue!

Thanks! :)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Also Nickmitch there is a YTer by the name of The Disney Brain and he delves a lot into the series and have done lots of reviews of the season based on theme for the season and also talks about the characters from the season in depth.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
There's also this blog that seems to be dead now but theoretically is supposed to go through every episode of MMPR and mostly make fun of it but also go in depth about what does and doesn't work with the show.

take a look

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Linkara is the definitive person to follow when it comes to previous Power Rangers seasons, as previously mentioned with History of Power Rangers (at least, what episodes Youtube, etc. will allow these days due to copyright claims).

I have to say, I'm kind of impressed with how Beast Morphers seems to be shot. Looks a lot more professional and polished than previous seasons.

And yes, I will get to watching my DVDs of RPM some day.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
So Pua Magasiva, who played Shane, the red Ranger in Power Rangers: Ninja Storm was found dead yesterday. Apparently it was from some undisclosed natural causes.

for BNM

Ninja Storm is well worth watching if you've ever enjoyed Power Rangers. It has the best mech fights in the series, it's got RPM's sense of self parody, and it's generally just a nice, chill season..

For anyone wondering, there's a full list of deceased actors from the show here but Thuy Trang, who played Trini in Mighty Morphin, is the only other person on the list who actually played as a Power Ranger (edit: Apparently I can't read and Peta Putter played the Mystic Force white Ranger.) I hope they have some kind of dedication thing for him in Beast Morphers in the credits at some point.

Mystic Force brought in a reformed Rita Repulse as the Mystic Mother during it's finale in to honor the death of Rita's actress from the Sentai footage, Machiko Soga. They basically took some footage of a character named Magiel from Magiranger who was played by the same actress and dubbed over it with new dialogue. The whole thing feels kind of last minute and it doesn't fit with the rest of the episode but it was neat to see her back in Power Rangers for a couple scenes like this one.

for BNM

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
The sequel to Power Rangers 2017 has been canceled. The new movie will feature a new cast and will once again reboot the continuity, it seems, according to this reddit post from one of the actors.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StrangerThings/comments/cbq91l/i_am_dacre_montgomery_i_play_billy_hargrove_ama/etjeiff/

As someone who quite liked the 2017 movie despite its notable issues, that's a real shame but I suppose they just took too long to get to a sequel for the cast to still be the right ages.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Apparently James Gayland and Olivia Tennat will be reprising their roles as Colonel Truman and Doctor K for a Beast Morphers/RPM crossover.

I can't wait to see how they mess this one up.