Author Topic: E3 2017: REGGIE GOES BIG  (Read 28203 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2017: REGGIE GOES BIG
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2017, 10:45:20 PM »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2017, 12:50:52 AM »
With all these early announcements and reveals, I wonder if Reggie really will be going big this year.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2017, 01:05:08 AM »
He's going so big that the news is splitting out at the seams.

Hopefully this isn't a repeat of that one E3 (2004 I think?) where Wario World on the Gamecube was leaked a few days before the event and it turned out that was the big headlining title for Nintendo. That was probably one of the weakest years for them before the Wii Music fiasco.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2017, 01:51:34 AM »
Considering Mario x Rabbids was supposed to be a surprise reveal, I don't have much hope for this year, at all.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2017, 07:57:42 AM »
Considering Mario x Rabbids was supposed to be a surprise reveal, I don't have much hope for this year, at all.

Ubi got us covered, Many Important and Very Smart people have told me the real surprise will be Rayman x Goombas: Reresurrecteangce.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »
The Mario x Rabbids thing would have been a cool surprise because it would've been completely unexpected, not because it's this phenomenal, groundbreaking concept.

Nintendo, for better or worse, lives and dies by the first party reveals.  Now, they've shown their hand somewhat and we know Mario Odyssey is the big game.  But last year, it was Zelda and that was still a good E3.  As long as Nintendo has a surprise or two up their sleeves, E3 should be fine.  The Wario World example is a prime example of Nintendo's hand getting revealed and blowing the show.  The third party leaks shouldn't hurt too much.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
I think people get too caught up on surprises. As long as the games are good, that's all that matters to me. When or how they get announced is inconsequential.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2017, 12:42:40 AM »
I suppose it comes down to what you consider a "big" E3, but I was pleased with Nintendo's E3 last year and Reggie's comments here don't seem that unreasonable. I go back and forth on whether Nintendo is going to come to the show with a slate of huge, new announcements, but showcasing a variety of exciting games and having a great showing that way? Yeah, I can believe that. These are the Switch games Nintendo has announced which should have a presence at the show this year:

Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem Switch
Fire Emblem Warriors
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Expansion Pass)

Even if there are literally no new announcements, I'm pretty stoked just to learn a lot more about these games. With the exception of maybe Fire Emblem Warriors, all of those are huge releases and figure to be great games. And, in reality, there will almost certainly be new announcements as well.

Now we can add:
Mario x Rabbids
Monster Hunter XX
Harvest Moon: Light of Hope

and don't forget:
Pikmin 3DS
Pokemon and Zelda mobile
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (holiday)
1 2 Switch sales numbers (30min)
ARMS (comes out the day after E3)
SNES Classic
Retro's secret project

That seems like a respectable list.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2017, 12:58:47 AM »
I think people get too caught up on surprises. As long as the games are good, that's all that matters to me. When or how they get announced is inconsequential.
I like surprises. Sure, a company can quietly announce a game in passing, but a little showmanship can go a long way.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2017, 02:07:47 AM »
And showmanship is what E3 is all about. What comes out in the end is what's most important, but strong announcements are important in and of themselves, especially for the Switch this year. Nintendo's got some good momentum going in terms of sales and mindshare, and "winning" E3 would keep that going and push it even further.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »
The only major firm who wins E3 is Take Two, so that's not really a concern this year.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »
And showmanship is what E3 is all about. What comes out in the end is what's most important, but strong announcements are important in and of themselves, especially for the Switch this year. Nintendo's got some good momentum going in terms of sales and mindshare, and "winning" E3 would keep that going and push it even further.
Sure, but does it specifically have to be surprises? In the grand of scheme of things, do leaks ruin anything?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2017, 03:24:35 PM »
Sometimes its nice to just know what is being shown because when a surprise trailer launches you can be confused and trying to figure out what game or series this might be for and as your mind is racing through that you're not really focusing on what's being shown or making erroneous connections. Then when the product is brand new and unrelated to anything you are then trying to figure out if you like or what it actually is. Then its off to the next surprise trailer so your mind is playing a bit of catch-up throughout. Knowing what something is or will be ahead of time removes that initial guesswork and you can just take in the gameplay about to be shown.

I'd say leaks don't really ruin anything although it may be disappointing at the end if there are no real new reveals because one still expects new and surprising reveals at the event.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »
https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/05/31/pokemon-nitendo-new-game-pokeland/

another game for mobile – Pokeland.

A fusion between Go and the older Rumble edition, the game pits miniature Pocket Monsters in a series of trans-island duels. Meanwhile, you will also get a chance to collect and train tonnes of other creatures.

Starting today, the iconic gamemaker is rolling out an Android-only alpha test which will be limited to the first 10,000 sign-ups. While early players will have six islands, 52 different stages, 15 levels and 134 Pocket critters to explore, they won’t be able to transfer their accumulated player data once the official app launches.

no word on international release yet.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2017, 11:56:33 PM »
Between Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, Splatoon 2 and Mario, I'd say Nintendo are really showing us what the Switch is capable of.

That new 2DS is also a stunner. I'd expect the revamp to last a couple years until the Switch gets its own.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »
Just a little somethin-somethin to get you all in the mood for next week:

Between Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, Splatoon 2 and Mario, I'd say Nintendo are really showing us what the Switch is capable of.

That new 2DS is also a stunner. I'd expect the revamp to last a couple years until the Switch gets its own.

You think they'll do an even more slimmed down version of Switch? Or will they go the XL route?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »
I think, when that time comes, Nintendo will go the XL route with the Switch, which will look ridiculous in the original dock.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »
Nickmitch.  I disagree when the time comes...I think Nintendo will make a smaller portable switch without detachable controllers...but will be full conpatiable with the switch.  Slightly smaller screen.  Non detachable controllers and still capable of hooking into the dock for TV play. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2017, 11:37:42 PM »
My only question about how making it smaller is how they handle the protrusion of the buttons/sticks. Then the system is in the dock, the edge of the those things is like a quarter inch away from the dock.  If they made the system thinner to accommodate this, it might not fit in the dock without an adapter (which I think is something Nintendo might actually do).  The other option would be to make a clamshell design that folds into the dock, but that's a pretty thin device I think.

A bigger device could be bigger without changing thickness.  But then maybe you have a problem with bendability like the iPhone.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »
It'll be the fat man in a little suit routine

*riiip*

Considering their history of pulling support for various ports/cables in past consoles, I'd guess that they'll keep the system the same size, but stop including the dock in year 4.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2017, 11:44:46 PM »
Well, every day the Nintendo Spotlight presentation loses 5 minutes. By Tuesday the whole thing will be just a press release.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2017, 12:52:08 AM »
Do tell.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2017, 02:55:07 AM »
My only question about how making it smaller is how they handle the protrusion of the buttons/sticks. Then the system is in the dock, the edge of the those things is like a quarter inch away from the dock.  If they made the system thinner to accommodate this, it might not fit in the dock without an adapter (which I think is something Nintendo might actually do).  The other option would be to make a clamshell design that folds into the dock, but that's a pretty thin device I think.

A bigger device could be bigger without changing thickness.  But then maybe you have a problem with bendability like the iPhone.

Well they sell it primarily as a portable device to replace the 3DS in 2 years...and then they sell an additional Dock for the special portable version.  I don't seem them needing to change the thickness.  I seem them making the screen slightly smaller and using the extra room of the attached controllers into the system to house everything. 

To me it just seems that in 2 years, if the switch is truly successful trying to make a more affordable version that replaces the 3DS as the primary gaming device just seems like a good idea.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »
Well, every day the Nintendo Spotlight presentation loses 5 minutes. By Tuesday the whole thing will be just a press release.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »
Do tell.

The Spotlight is apparently just 25 minutes, down from the 30 originally reported.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV