Author Topic: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)  (Read 269103 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)
« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »
A new movie with Batman is coming out and I barely care. What is wrong? Warner Brothers is wrong.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »
The Dark Knight Trilogy was also released under Warner Bros. It's not necessarily the studio that's at fault. It's the creatives behind the work but the studio did let these creatives have some control over the direction and vision of the property so they shoulder some blame. B:TAS is under Warner Bros but so is Catwoman and Batman and Robin. The differing quality shows that the studio doesn't have any specific direction of what to do with the properties and just hands off the reins to whoever impresses them at the moment or fulfill whatever mandate they may have.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »
Anyways, hopefully now that DC has their big "Avengers-lite" movie in Justice League accomplished and out of their system, they'll stop focusing so much on needing to get all their heroes in a big team up in a cynical attempt to imitate "The Avengers" in order to generate a lot of revenue like it did and maybe start trying to figure out what they actually want to do with these different properties and characters. Now that they'd done the team-up movie, what is next for everything? Perhaps that will finally help them to start questioning what they want to accomplish now and how they can best utilize these properties to do it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 16, 2017, 01:18:40 AM »
Tomato Score happens to be a 43%

Snyder is at fault for most of this. Whedon might be the reason some of the film is enjoyable.... particularly the character scenes that Whedon reshot. Had Snyder stayed on and seen this through...
BvS part 2. It probably would have been all bad.

Joss supposedly reshot 20% of the movie, mostly all character interaction scenes.
But really WB should have delayed this movie into next year and gave Joss more time to complete even more reshoots and polish up the CG (which I hear is video game level.... and not in a good way at all).
They could have dropped this in Jan, March, April, August, Sept 2018... and had no other CB movie competition. But they may have had a better movie.

I'm also not sure why the WB exec put a hard 2hr limit on the movie, as I hear the movie kinda suffers from it just a little.

But I agree, hopefully that's the last movie under the Snydervese, and now Jeff Johns can get a "fresh" start working on these solo projects and making sure they are good. Should they build up to another ensemble, hopefully they have a plan in place and not just making it up as they go.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2017, 10:52:03 PM »
Not wholly terrible.

I feel about it like I felt about Power Rangers.  Mostly enjoyable, a lot of missteps, could have been great, would see a sequel, wouldn't be uset if the shelved it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 17, 2017, 01:01:42 AM »
Not wholly terrible.

I feel about it like I felt about Power Rangers.  Mostly enjoyable, a lot of missteps, could have been great, would see a sequel, wouldn't be uset if the shelved it.

So you saw it? (Tomato score dropped to 37%)

Where the reshoots as obvious as stated? Was the Cavill stache erase as noticeable as stated?
Was The Flash really the stand out? Was Cyborg really just kinda.... boring?
Was the CG as videogame bad including the Steppenwolf, as the critics suggested?

edit:
it looks like JL might not only open to less than Thor, but it may open to less than WW.... O_O
http://deadline.com/2017/11/justice-league-box-office-weekend-winner-wonder-the-star-1202210465/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:16:12 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 17, 2017, 01:37:11 AM »
So, thoughts on how they're going to handle the reboot?  We think they'll go the completely obvious route and Flashpoint  it?

Yes. Flashpoint is coming, and it will feature Batman.
https://screenrant.com/flashpoint-movie-batman-story/

edit: and some JL Spoilers below:

"Finished" CGI.... (looks like a snap chat filter)
https://i.imgur.com/JQvKVfx.gif

Stache Erase.... (just kinda creepy)
https://i.imgur.com/2yNgbZ1.png

please tell me these are bullshit. Although I sure the stache erase is probably less noticeable in motion... right?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:58:59 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 17, 2017, 02:14:06 AM »
That top one is definitely a scene in the movie.  But I didn't notice it looking as dodgy as that gif appears to be.  As I said in the other thread I'm not a CGI detective like so many people seem to be so I may have just plain missed it.

Likewise with that second screenshot.  I think that particular screenshot was taken at a very unflattering moment and probably makes it stand out more then it normally does.  However again, the above caveat applies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 17, 2017, 05:00:48 AM »
Someone in production must have noticed that CGI-grafting onto a live motion figure like Cyborg and the difficulties that presented.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 17, 2017, 09:53:30 AM »
37% sounds like a pass. I hope Thor is number one this weekend.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 17, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »
Depending on the Thursday preview final numbers....

Justice League could open as low as $74M up to $103M

I believe that's Ant-Man to WW in opening numbers.
BvS really put people on review watch with JL
so much money left on the table.... it's a shame, as I'm really a big fan of the JL cartoons.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 17, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
Looks like DC is in panic mode over JL grossing less than the follow-up to Thor2: The dark world
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-dc-hopes-land-a-punch-marvel-1058409

"If a B character from Marvel shut downs and outperforms the A team from DC, that’s an embarrassment," a Justice League insider tells The Hollywood Reporter, adding, "It’s going to be a stressful weekend for some [Warners] execs."

Grab your lawn chairs and popcorn people. This weekend might be more interesting that just what was showing on the big screens.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:34:23 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 17, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
If they're going to rush through purely to try to rake in money without doing the due preperation then, well they've got noone to blame but themselves.  I feel sorry for the actual cast and crew.  They have the pleasure of being invited to be involved in what should be one of the greatest comic book based productions of all time.  They do their best with what they're given but the money hungry brass just ruin it all.  Possibly to the extent where it could damage some careers.

Marvel certainly aren't perfect, but I applaud them wholeheartedly in how they're handling their universe.  Taking their time, developing their characters.  So much so that they haven't done an objectively bad movie yet.  Sure, some have been pretty mediocre, but none are bad.

In a couple of weeks I won't be surprised if the Flashpoint movie just moved up the schedule a few places.  Though I think they'd be better off if they just made a point of canning the whole thing and starting fresh.  The reboot will still mean the 'new' version will still in some way be connected to the original.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 17, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »
If they're going to rush through purely to try to rake in money without doing the due preperation then, well they've got noone to blame but themselves.  I feel sorry for the actual cast and crew.  They have the pleasure of being invited to be involved in what should be one of the greatest comic book based productions of all time.  They do their best with what they're given but the money hungry brass just ruin it all.  Possibly to the extent where it could damage some careers.

Marvel certainly aren't perfect, but I applaud them wholeheartedly in how they're handling their universe.  Taking their time, developing their characters.  So much so that they haven't done an objectively bad movie yet.  Sure, some have been pretty mediocre, but none are bad.

In a couple of weeks I won't be surprised if the Flashpoint movie just moved up the schedule a few places.  Though I think they'd be better off if they just made a point of canning the whole thing and starting fresh.  The reboot will still mean the 'new' version will still in some way be connected to the original.

You're right. Some are not as good as others, but none of them have been bad.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 17, 2017, 04:40:38 PM »
Holy Hell Batman!!
http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/justice-league-box-office-opening-weekend-below-estimates-1202617685/

Estimated to be coming in at $95M
Oooopsy daisy.

That's down from the original hopes of matching BvS @ $166M
Down the early estimates of around $140M
All the way down to adjusted early tracking of $110M
To late tracking of $105M
And now we settle at early weekend estimates of $95M

That's absolutely terrible as far as expectations go.
Especially since this was estimated to cost about $300M with all the last minute reshoots.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 17, 2017, 04:44:30 PM »
I wonder what it will finally take to have WB remove Snyder from the director's chair? Will this be the girder that breaks the camel's back?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »
Rotten Tomatoes is toxic. I've been debating this thought with myself for sometime but after watching Justice League I can safely say that the influence of the RT outreaches its usefulness. This movie was straight up dope. It's even too short for it's own good and needs to be 20 minutes longer.  I'm not saying this because I disagree with the conscience of RT but because it tens to discourage people from using their own opinions in place of a vocal minority. Citizen Kane this movie is not but the reviews would have you think I just walked out of a of a black and white subtitled version Night Trap. The hive mind controls all. Plus RT gave Iron Man 3 a 79% which should have the site investigated by the Better Business Bureau and charges filled by the State Department for fraud in practice.

OR

I have terrible taste in movies. I very much enjoyed Prince of Persia, John Carter, Clash of the Titans(remake).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »
I don't know if Rotten Tomatoes is toxic, but I think it's over used and should have never become mainstream. It was better when it was basically a site for movie hipsters.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:24 AM »
Well, If I had to come in from a critics PoV, then there is a LOT of things to be critical about in this movie.
between unfinished effects and obvious reshot scenes inserted it starts off turning your critical eye at the movie fromt he very first scene.

The lip issue was one of the first thing my friends noticed, and I didn't say anything to them about it because I wanted to see how bad it was in the movie.
The the Nickelodeon Gak Splat moment with the Parademons.
the obvious green scene reshoots
Steppenwolf
some of the visual setups AFTER the critical acclaim from WW (i.e. gratuitous butt shots)

as a critic, you have plenty to write about on this one, and as a critic to a follow-up of the critically panned BvS, you don't want to be the one to not point out the obvious mistakes and issues that all the other critics are sure to notice.

But having said all that, from a general audience perspective, this movie was nowhere near as bad as it reviewed. It's actually a little fun, intense at time and for the most part just entertaining.
I told my boys I went with that "Laugh WITH, or laugh AT, but either way I'm laughing.
I managed to do BOTH and I came out having enjoyed the movie.

and coming from me (the resident MCU Spokesperson) I think that says something, especially since I think I was pretty vocal about my dislike for BvS right from the debut of the first trailer.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 19, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »
OH MY GAWD. I'm dying over here HAHAHAHA

JL debuts at less than Iron Man
gets off to a terrible WW start
Gets roasted by critics for almost everything....
including this (http://media.giphy.com/media/3o6fJaIdwXe15hJNF6/giphy.gif) seriously, why does The Flash run like that!? is he really an ice skater?
and then I run across this gif

and you realize how much more effort was put into the Chris Evans series than the final effects of Justice League.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:53:47 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
What series is that?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2017, 09:53:49 PM »
the Evans Laughing series of gifs.

do I need to post them all in one post?

these 2 new ones are amazingly done.

I suppose I could do it here, since the context of ALL the gifs are in reference to the DCEU

https://i.imgur.com/Nbf51Yp.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/9NNUVKa.mp4

this isn't all of them, but just the ones I could find quickly.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:41:11 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 20, 2017, 03:11:50 AM »
WB/DC leaving a lot of money on the table by rushing thru this for that marvel money while ignoring the basics of good movies first and possible even using the blue print layed out for them of build-up, build up, build-up.

Plan? What plan? Chase the Nolan films without Nolan? WB never thought to themselves that the Nolan Batman was lightning in a bottle done 3 times in the form of Nolan. Nolan managed to elevate a comic book movie into a "Real" movie. Even Nolan couldn't keep that level going and he went out on top.

The only thing they took away even then incorrectly from it was the idea Nolan had with its more realistic take on Batman. What they did take was grim, gritty and dark, like really dark from poor lighting. Nolan even gave them an perfect sequel hook for them to use but not one to start a DCU universe.

Forget about having a good story. Stakes that don't involve destroying the world. Pillars of light. Destruction on such a large scale that people stop caring. Characters you might like or laugh with. Absurd contrivances so bad they should be plot holes. A villain that isn't eating glue.

WB bares the primary reasons for this mess. They choose who to go with to make DCU movies, they set the overall tone. They got what they asked for repeatedly and is more than a Snyder problem given the other properties.

Snyder is the most direct point of blame. Back to Nolan for moment I have found his best describe as "Michael Bay trying to be Nolan" with his super hero movies. He desperately wants to be Nolan but he just can't let go of his personal style and he sure can't remotely emulate anyone else's.

DC can and has shown it can be good in the TV shows, but when they DCU everything they utterly fail with that awful Flashpoint ****. Which is sort of opposite to Marvel where they managed about 2 good shows.

Rotten Tomatoes is toxic. I've been debating this thought with myself for sometime but after watching Justice League I can safely say that the influence of the RT outreaches its usefulness. This movie was straight up dope. It's even too short for it's own good and needs to be 20 minutes longer.  I'm not saying this because I disagree with the conscience of RT but because it tens to discourage people from using their own opinions in place of a vocal minority. Citizen Kane this movie is not but the reviews would have you think I just walked out of a of a black and white subtitled version Night Trap. The hive mind controls all. Plus RT gave Iron Man 3 a 79% which should have the site investigated by the Better Business Bureau and charges filled by the State Department for fraud in practice.

OR

I have terrible taste in movies. I very much enjoyed Prince of Persia, John Carter, Clash of the Titans(remake).
Yes.

Rotten Tomato is terrible as it's statistical  foundations is absurd that produce equally absurd results. It doesn't help everything is graded on an equally absurd curve they promotes score inflation where you can see broken shows get an A score.

Metacritic has the same issue that you are dealing with humanity but they cushion that with better statistical frame work and presentation of the data.

You also have terrible taste in movies.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 20, 2017, 09:20:32 AM »

Yes.

Rotten Tomato is terrible as it's statistical  foundations is absurd that produce equally absurd results. It doesn't help everything is graded on an equally absurd curve they promotes score inflation where you can see broken shows get an A score.

Metacritic has the same issue that you are dealing with humanity but they cushion that with better statistical frame work and presentation of the data.

You also have terrible taste in movies.

I know I do. I like "some" so called high brow films but for the most part I like my movies like I like my women cheap and easy...Hioooooo!  But seriously folks. The sin that is connivence lessens what RT should be and turns it into some kinda topical seal of approval from the movie gods.  Justice would be considered a mid tier Marvel movie I would imagine.