Author Topic: Wait...Why is she "Princess" Leia?  (Read 7470 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Wait...Why is she "Princess" Leia?
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »
Her birth father is Anakin Skywalker and her adoptive father is Senator Bail Organa. I dont know about her other mom but "Queen Amidala" was elected and was not part of a monarchy. So whats this Princess tish about? Was Bail also King? Is Luke secretly a Prince (thereby making Spaceballs far more accurate)? Maybe "Princess" is also an elected title and she keeps the name as homage to her dead planet? *insert shoulder shrug here*

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Wait...Why is she "Princess" Leia?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »
My guess is he was both king and a senator.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »
My guess is he was both king and a senator.

A King and a senator is a paradox of democracy.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:17:36 PM »
Not really, they're in completely different contexts. He'd be a king of Alderaan and a senator on the galactic scale. It may just be a largely ceremonial office at that point with no real power, like in modern England, but got elected to the galactic senate outside of that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:36:55 PM »
I feel sure there was a story in the EU that explained this... but that got thrown out with everything else. I'll just go with it being Disney and the "princess" term is disgustingly marketable.

Plus you know you want to hear more dialogue gems like "Excuuuuse me princess!"
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 03:41:49 PM »
OH snap! just watched the end of episode 3 again and when Bail is talking to Captain Antilles (Wedges' father?) he refers to him as "your highness" so I guess Insanolord was right.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 07:09:27 PM »
Dirty aristocracy... they think they're better than us?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 12:35:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure Lucas confirmed back in the day that the two Antilles' are not related. Though there is nothing stopping JJ from making the connection now.
My Game Collection

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
She's a Princess because there was nothing that contradicted that back in 1977.  George Lucas just happens to be the right kind of stupid to contradict his own fictional works over 20 years later despite the fact that with fiction you just decide what happens and thus can make anything fit.

In Return of the Jedi Luke asks Leia if she remembers her real mother and she DOES despite her real mother dying ten seconds after her birth in Episode III and her "knowing" her real mother just as long as Luke does.  That sure as hell doesn't make any fucking sense but, again, "Lucas is a dumbass" is as good an explanation as any.  Leia's title makes tons of sense in comparison to something like that.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 01:26:54 AM »
She's a Princess because there was nothing that contradicted that back in 1977.  George Lucas just happens to be the right kind of stupid to contradict his own fictional works over 20 years later despite the fact that with fiction you just decide what happens and thus can make anything fit.

In Return of the Jedi Luke asks Leia if she remembers her real mother and she DOES despite her real mother dying ten seconds after her birth in Episode III and her "knowing" her real mother just as long as Luke does.  That sure as hell doesn't make any fucking sense but, again, "Lucas is a dumbass" is as good an explanation as any.  Leia's title makes tons of sense in comparison to something like that.

So I'm guessing the "prequels were a mistake, it's nothing but trash".

This was explained to me: Leia has a different type of Force Sensory than Luke, that's why she could sense his danger on Bespin in Empire Strikes Back. She only becomes "aware" of it after she learns her father and brother were both Jedi (i.e.: knowing Luke was safe in Return of the Jedi). It was told that she can detect the feelings of a person better than most cause of her powers but didn't hone them till much later...something I spect we see in The Force Awakens!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:38:17 AM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 04:02:43 AM »
Deanna Troi rip-off then.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »

So I'm guessing the "prequels were a mistake, it's nothing but trash".

This was explained to me: Leia has a different type of Force Sensory than Luke, that's why she could sense his danger on Bespin in Empire Strikes Back. She only becomes "aware" of it after she learns her father and brother were both Jedi (i.e.: knowing Luke was safe in Return of the Jedi). It was told that she can detect the feelings of a person better than most cause of her powers but didn't hone them till much later...something I spect we see in The Force Awakens!

I have heard of that but it is very elaborate explanation for something that in 1983 was easily summed up with "Luke and Leia were separated at birth.  Leia was kept with her mother and thus got to know her before she died when Leia was young enough that her memories from then are fuzzy."  That's the simple way that anyone would have interpreted that scene when Return of the Jedi came out.  This "she has a different type of Force powers" explanation is unnecessarily complicated and is only the sort of thing someone would come up with if they messed up and contradicted their own movie and needed to "fix" their mistake with a retcon.  Until now I never even saw the Bespin thing as Leia's powers but Luke using the Force to call out to a friend for help.  Who else was he going to call out to?  Han's in carbonite, he doesn't know who Lando is at that point, presumably can't use the Force to call out to droids.  It was Leia or Chewie.

George Lucas has more or less admitted that he made this stuff up as he went and a lot of writers do that so it's not really anything to hold against him.  So Leia is a Princess because that's what he decided when he made Star Wars and it made perfect sense until he tried to fill in the blanks with the prequels.  It was his responsibility to make sure that everything fits without resorting to complicated and confusing explanations and he did not do a good job of that.  So you can go with whatever explanation he has used or pretend it's 20 years ago when you didn't know much about Leia's parents so you just assumed she was the daughter of a king of some sort.

If we want to get into geeky stuff you figure the title wouldn't come from Queen Amidala because then wouldn't it be common knowledge that she was Anakin Skywalker's kid?  Clearly Darth Vader has no idea he has a daughter.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 01:48:38 PM »
I remember from way back (around the time of Return of the Jedi) the story that Vader force-choked Luke and Leia's mother to death in a dark-side rage. This coupled with the the "fact" that apparently the twins were hidden from him (i.e., he didn't know he had a daughter or a son) always made me conclude that Luke and Leia's mom died very soon after giving birth. Even then it never bothered me how Leia could remember her mother. She says it's a very vague memory and I just sort of accepted it as some kind of force-related mystic superpower. With "The Force" around, you can pretty much pull anything you need out of the hat.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »
The Leia stuff makes less sense the more you try to explain it. Let's not act like Star Wars is high literature, here. Lucas took one look at his original screenplay and said "Princess? She gotta have a Queen momma!" And that was that.

Or, he saw that Luke and Leia's mom was a Senator too and that Bail Organa was a Senator, which implies that Royalty can become intergalactic Senate and justifying Leia's princess status.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 11:43:02 AM »
Princess Leia doesn't refer to Padme (though it still does funnily enough), but the Alderaan is a Monarchy governed by a queen like Naboo. Bail Represented the planet in the Republic/Galatic Senate, but his wife rulled the planet as shown in the princess Leia comic book.

For the non canon actal explanation, Leia was a princess because it was left over from the original The Star Wars/ adventures of Starkiller drafts. In fact Leia was never supposed to be Luke's sister even toward Jedi. Luke always had a sister but originally that was supposed to be a story told after Return.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/bp/return-jedi-could-202622407.html

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »

Blasphemy! Don't you know sir that it is against the laws of the lawless internet to mix Star Wars and Star Trek in the same discussion. How dare you cross the streams at such a crucial juncture you should not only be ashamed of yourself I move for a vote of no confidence in your leadership and call for a public execution.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »
Tell that to William Shatner, who is currently waging a one-man twitter war against Star Wars. LOLs have ensued.
My Game Collection

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:20 PM »
Tell that to William Shatner, who is currently waging a one-man twitter war against Star Wars. LOLs have ensued.

But, he is Canadian nobody takes them seriously.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 03:48:48 AM »

Blasphemy! Don't you know sir that it is against the laws of the lawless internet to mix Star Wars and Star Trek in the same discussion. How dare you cross the streams at such a crucial juncture you should not only be ashamed of yourself I move for a vote of no confidence in your leadership and call for a public execution.

That's why I did it. Gotta know the rules to break the rules!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
That's why I did it. Gotta know the rules to break the rules!
Gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Oui, Mon Gars!