Author Topic: Xenogears Fan Thread.  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Xenogears Fan Thread.
« on: June 19, 2003, 06:39:18 AM »
Alrighty... this one is going to be a bit of a story.

I was coding my game last night, same as always, but I had a problem that I just couldn't solve.  My backgrounds kept on messing up, and I didn't know why.  I fought with it for a few hours, then I eventually gave up and played some Secret of Mana.  That didn't last too long before I got the urge to code some more.  So, I put on the Conan: The Barbarian soundtrack, and got to work.

this is the result.  Instructions are included in the zip file.  I would actually appreciate it if someone had the guts to run it, as it's been a REALLY long night for me, and I recently discovered an annoying timing bug in it.  Not really surprising, as my timing code is precisely one line, and not very inspired, but I am curious about how it runs on other computers.  If it runs like crap, I can fix it later and release a second version.

I have been meaning to write this for a while, but I just never really got around to it before.  It wasn't that hard, but it took a while, as I had to learn Win32 programming all over again.    I have been using SDL for a while, and it was hard to figure out how everything worked without a wrapper.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
Xenogears Fan Thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 08:52:55 PM »
it works....

It's pointless

make a nice joke for Xeno fans though
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Xenogears Fan Thread.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 11:32:08 PM »
It worked on my computer.

Were the text meant to scroll across the screen smoothly?  Because they didn't.  It moved at about 2-3 frames a second.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Xenogears Fan Thread.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 03:57:12 AM »
Yeah, I've got the whole Xenogears obsession going on again.  I would probably be out renting a PS2 right now if I had the money...

AiAi, the text is supposed to scroll across the screen, and be started on the next line before the sound finishes playing.  I am thinking you have a slow CPU maybe?  I haven't included any hardware acceleration at all, and the code isn't too pretty, so it's unlikely that it will run that grand on old computers.

I will make a new version with better timing when I get a chance though.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Xenogears Fan Thread.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 04:08:52 AM »
I've got a Athlon 1.4GHz.  Should be more than enough?

Or maybe I had too many applications running?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Xenogears Fan Thread.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 04:14:15 AM »
That would be crappy timing code then.  I will remake it with the proper timing later on today.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
Xenogears Fan Thread.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 08:49:47 AM »
I wish there was a way to close it, or know when it was going to end.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Xenogears Fan Thread.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 03:37:52 PM »
I suppose if you REALLY want a way to close it, I could release the debug version I keep for myself, which allows the user to exit by pressing Alt-F4... but I think it really detracts from the experience.    As for when it ends... it doesn't.  It will repeat like that until the end of time if allowed.  

Regarding the timing, it's been fixed for a while, but I forgot to bring it with me.

Anyways, how many of the people here are as obsessed with the game as I am?  It really sucks being a Nintendo fanboy sometimes, as it prevents me from playing many of the games I love from time to time.  It killed me when Final Fantasy VII was released on PSX, and it's killing me now that Xenosaga is a PS2 exclusive.  I wish they would release a PC version or something.  As soon as I get money again, I am going to be renting a PS2 again methinks, but that won't be for a while.  I might just start a new game of Xenogears soon.  I am trying to get caught up in all the other games I am playing right now though.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Xenogears Fan Thread.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2003, 11:56:42 PM »
Alright, the zip file I posted in my first post in this thread has been updated.  New features include the ability to exit via F4, and a timing function that should work on all computers.  However, I prefer the original release myself.    I like having to ctrl-alt-delete out of it, and the timing was more accurate on my computer.  The new version runs a little slow, but it's the best that I could do without a complete code rewrite, and I wasn't up for that.

Also, I have changed my avatar to better reflect my new obsession.  I might change to an Elly themed one later, but I thought that this scene would make a fine avatar.