Author Topic: Yay! I fixed my computer!  (Read 2340 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Yay! I fixed my computer!
« on: August 10, 2013, 01:33:50 AM »
So, my desktop broke something like two months ago.

I wasn't in a huge hurry to get it fixed - I mostly use my laptop anymore, but it's really nice to have, since it's hooked to my television and such.

Anyway, I looked up some info on it - basically, it would power off almost right after turning on.  I assumed it was something with the power supply... except that my computer is a Dell Studio Hybrid - and I'm not even sure there's an internal power supply in these things.

Anyway, I found a reseller on eBay selling the case, motherboard and most everything except the major parts (heat sink, CPU, hard drive, RAM, DVD Drive) for super-cheap.  I figured I'd grab it, swap everything over, and if it worked, then awesome.  If it didn't, I was going to order a heat sink (also really cheap).  Anything else, and I might as well buy a new computer.

It came in today, I popped everything out of the old one, slapped it into the new one (except the WiFi card, it's got some cables soldered to it and I'm not very good at that... and I don't really use the WiFi on it, I've got a wired connection) and *blammo* - back up and running!  Yay!

Best thing - the DVD software that's pre-installed lets me watch DVD video at 1.2x and 1.4x speeds with audio.  Sure, I could find software for my laptop that lets me do that, but I like watching TV on my big TV - that's what I paid for it for and all. :D  Granted, I don't watch *everything* at fast speeds, but some time ago, I picked up one of my secret indulgences... the complete series of The King of Queens.  No, it's not the best show ever, but I can't help but enjoy it.  And I got all nine seasons for about $25.  Sure, there's like 8 episodes on a disc, but really, for a show like this, who cares if the video is a little grainy? :D

Anyway, watching stuff like this (or seasons 1-6 of King of the Hill - curse you FOX for not releasing 7-13) at a faster speed works for me.  I can watch it in the background while playing a game or browsing the internet.  A 22 minute episode in 16 minutes - almost like watch two, watch one free!

I saw the complete Married with Children cheap the other day... I may pick it up next, once I finish King of Queens.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Yay! I fixed my computer!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 02:01:49 AM »
I'm okay with King of Queens.

I love Married with Children.

I also love "Mad about you" and honestly don't understand why it's considered a bad show.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:11:37 AM »
Dell motherboards often die in the way you described.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
I have this program called VLC player that let me speed it or slow it down, both with sound.
also lets me play just about any format, even if the video file is corrupted.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:04:55 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »
Dell motherboards often die in the way you described.
I have a dell dimension e521 sitting in the corner behind me and it still freaking works...
heres the joke: its still on vista
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:47:11 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »
I'm using an E521 right now. It's a work horse.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA